The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Germlat

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 06:44 pm
@plainoldme,
Loved greek wedding...it was all plot...and I can relate
0 Replies

AndrewFerrol

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 12:44 am
The Notebook.

It's obviously a Hollywood production of romance movie. You may have seen such a movie for thousands of times, but you still keep on going... <3
panzade

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 04:29 am
@AndrewFerrol,
Welcome to A2K Andrew.
I know it's a Nicholas Sparks story but I don't know much about the film.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 12:54 pm
@panzade,
Watched The Rock last night on Comcast about a biological scientist, Nicolas Cage, and a British intelligence officer, Sean Connery, who work together to destroy some chemical weapons on Alcatraz. There were so many ads for every five minutes of movie that I shut it off and went to sleep. I watched the French version today to just see the ending. Otherwise a pretty good movie with lots of action scenes in and around San Francisco and Alcatraz.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 01:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I was involved with a man who was an action movie freak. The only outing to an action movie that I initiated was to see The Rock. He said he read a review which panned it but I thought the reviews in the Boston Globe and the late, lamented Boston Phoenix were positive. I wanted to see it because I knew with Connery and Cage that the acting would be good and it was. The man in question dined on crow afterwards.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 01:19 am
@glitterbag,
I thought Road to Perdition was an excellent film, glitterbag.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 09:40 am
I saw "Pacific Rim" last night.I usually don't go for sci-fi, "bug eyed monster" movies, and this one was no exception.

The saving grace of this film were the special effects, which were spectacular. Basically though, it is the same old story.........people from all over the world cooperate to fend off a monster that does not come from the earth. Usually, it is outer space, but in this film it was a crack in the earth's mantle. IMO this film was "Alien" for today's generation, but not done as well.

If you like to see spectacular technology, check out this film. Teens will love it. I'm a fan of Idris Elba, so that was a plus. Honestly though, after awhile, I was bored silly.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 09:52 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
IMO this film was "Alien" for today's generation, but not done as well.

Did you ever get that wrong! Alien is a horror movie. Pacific Rim never tries to be a horror movie but an ode to Japanese monster movies (campy/kitschy) and Japanese mech fighting robot movies. They're not even close in terms of plot, scale, and direction. In this case, Pacific Rim is a comic action film. At best its closer to Aliens (1986) then Alien (1979). And even then it's not really compatible.

It's closest Hollywood movie equivalents are Godzilla (1998) and Cloverfield (2008). Or maybe Independence Day (1996).

The Alien for today's generation is ... Alien's prequel, Prometheus (2012).
anonymously99

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 09:55 am
@barrythemod,
Quote:
The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

Resident Evil; Apocalypse.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 10:58 am
@tsarstepan,
The problem was that I have never seen any of the films that you mentioned, so I was unable to make the comparisons.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 02:58 pm
PBS recently showed the four episode series of "Dirk Gently: Holistic Detective Agency." These stories were written by Douglas Adams author of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." Fans of Adams know what an innovative and sidesplitting genius he is. Unfortunately, there are only four stories--as far as I know--for I haven't read any of them.

Gently's theory is that all things, people, objects, and events are interconnected no matter how tenuous and unlikely--and they are in the stories. Science fiction often plays a role in the stories, such as and intelligent computer that uploads its mind into the brain of a comatose girl because it wants a body, and a time machine that inadvertently sends a cat along with the inventor back in time.

The book, as well, a DVD are available at Amazon. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510-kiFrlnL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg
0 Replies

trishathelizardqueen

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 04:59 pm
@barrythemod,
best movies ever are

Wolf of wall street
The great gatsy

you have to buy these movies
panzade

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 05:34 pm
@trishathelizardqueen,
Saw them.
Best movies ever?
Hmmmm
0 Replies

nazia08

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 04:51 am
The last movie I saw on DVD was The Hills Have Eyes : )

Have a good day!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 11:16 pm
I actually watched the Hobbit again with my daughter. Then I watched There Will Be Blood, starring Daniel Day-Lewis in one of his Academy Award roles. I knew nothing of the plot when I started watching the movie and was surprised to learn that it was based loosely on an Upton Sinclair novel, Oil! I recently read a good deal The Jungle. Sinclair is amazingly relevant.

Day-Lewis' character got away with murder, more than once. The movie reminded me of Elmer Gantry and of Of Mice and Men.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:06 pm
@plainoldme,
Tonight I caught "Adams Family Values", made in 1993. It's still a funny movie but Raul Julia and Angelica Huston make the screen crackle with understated craziness. A lot of fun, very droll.
firefly

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2014 09:24 pm
@glitterbag,
I agree with you on that one, gb, it is great fun. And Raul and Angelica were positively delicious.
0 Replies

rachel542

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 03:39 am
@barrythemod,
breaking bad.I have watched it for thousands of times...so classic.....
panzade

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 09:55 am
@rachel542,
Welcome to A2K rachel.
Although I believe this is a great TV series, I have never been able to get into the story. I must have a short attention span.
Germlat

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 07:26 pm
@panzade,
I've had a few series really catch my attention.. I'm watching The Borgias now...wow loving it. Jeremy Irons is phenomenal in this.