The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

glitterbag

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 11:44 pm
@Germlat,
I loved the Borgias, but I think it was cancelled. What a shame.
Germlat

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 02:51 pm
@glitterbag,
I watched it on Netflix. I still have a couple of episodes to go. I cancelled cable long ago. I could never find anything I truly wanted to watch; also too many darn commercials. Nowadays, I'm renting flix through Amazon, etc. but.,, still I'm nearly out of documentaries...sigh!
farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 07:10 pm
@Germlat,
Saw "Inside Llewyn Davis" last night. What was the point of this movie?
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:22 am
@farmerman,
Great acting, great direction, great cinematography, and great music. Tragic character trying to navigate the obstacles of his own making. Not formulaic crap with a guaranteed smile on the viewers face.

It's on the top five movies I saw last year. The Academy snubbed the film from several category nominations.

I guess some people don't like movies that challenge their sensibilities.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 02:53 am
@glitterbag,
It was. There is an old BBC series if you want more Borgiaesque drama.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 12:46 pm
Bra Boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1WF7upgLFU
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 01:09 pm
Watched "The Eagle" (2011 film) on TV the other night and liked it.
A roman centurion in disguise goes on a quest to recover a golden roman eagle from the barbarian Scots tribe who pinched it.
No phoney hollywood gloss here, just a cold grey savage Scottish landscape inhabited by primitive heathens, just as today..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034389/
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 02:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
maybe you are right. All I saw was a witless twit who wandered around in a life that was mostly shitty responses to circumstances .

I think the Coen brothers mailed this one in. You could read that by the end of the groundhog day sequences that Lewyn would interface with something that really happened at the time. The fact that they chose Dylan was telegraphed early in the damn thing.

Another thing is that thwir formula of working music in as a character did NOT work in this case, even with T bone Burnett backing the score.

Sounds like you were as passionate about this as I was of
All Hope is Lost".

On reconsideration, I was disappointed at Nebraska also. Maybe I was more impressed with its "noirish" cinematography.

Big L fo Lewyn Davis and the Coen twins
panzade

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 06:53 pm
@farmerman,
I think I pointed out some of the same things in my review earlier.
We wanna love the Coens.
But sometimes we can't.
farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 07:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Missed your reply, sorry.
I think that, had I not been suffused with the "legend that was Dave van Ronck" I wouldn't have demanded more. As it was, I considered it a 2 hour lecture about his "outlook and principles", with some T bone music thrown in.

The entire movie coulda been done in 20 minutes as a leadup to Dylans entry into the scene.

I think that the Coens blew this one and phoned it in.
I didn't even like the music, it too was boring and often just a filler (I don't think the music advanced the story like it did in "Oh Brother'..." or set the mood , as in "Fargo"

Maybe Im too lo brow but I want my 2 hours back
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 07:26 pm
@farmerman,
i like Inside Llewyn Davis
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 07:42 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

I think I pointed out some of the same things in my review earlier.
We wanna love the Coens.
But sometimes we can't.

Eg. The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)
Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 07:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
the secret life of words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPAFnmmJf_Y
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 07:47 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
This sounds like a Robert Graves book I read when I was about 14 except the lost eagle was in Germany, not Scotland
0 Replies

Magda770

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 04:37 am
@barrythemod,
Last time I saw "The Beach" with Leo :-) Never saw that before!! I thought it was a kind of romantic story, well I was very surprised :-) The movie is from 2000 but it's still good and fun to watch.
firefly

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 03:18 pm
@Magda770,
I watched Leo in The Great Gatsby yesterday. I found the film to be too gaudy and excessive, entirely too focused on visual effects, and either miscast, or misdirected, in terms of the leading actors' performances. I found it to be a disappointing, emotionally flat, and essentially unsatisfying, movie version of the Fitzgerald novel, despite all the scenic and visual razzle-dazzle.
JTT

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 04:05 pm
@firefly,
Have you seen THE ACT OF KILLING yet, Firefly?
firefly

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 04:25 pm
@JTT,
No, not yet, JTT.
JTT

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 04:27 pm
@firefly,
Why do you think such an important movie never saw much of an audience in the USA?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2014 04:29 pm
@firefly,
Here's your chance.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3tILiqotj7Y
0 Replies