dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 06:41 pm
"Tough being so in demand and loved by many"
that must cost you a bundle Wink
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 06:53 pm
"...spleens require some cyclical spewing."

Who, Dem or Repub, liberal or conservative, can challenge that imagery?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:15 am
dys, I remember the very first time I made love. Saved the receipt.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:42 am
Oh for Pete's sake!

I not only have to clean the lint thingy in the washing machine regularly, scrub the dish-washer, brush the cats and clean their litter box, de-smeg the video and de-frag the computer, NOW I have to remember that my SPLEEN needs "cyclical spewing"!!!

There just aren't enough days in the week...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:48 am
scrub the dishwasher? seems redundant.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:07 am
Kinda reminds ya a them wimmin got a maid service, then run round cleanin' house afore the maid gits there, so she won't think ill of em . . .
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:30 am
Yeah ? well Setanta, my wife gets the house totaly dusted, tidied and hoovered before workmen come in and repair things and drill bloody holes, saw sodding great planks of timber and smash panes of glass and create enough dust, debri and rubble to fill an industrial dumpster. Talk about putting the cart before horse.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:36 am
(Slim, attractive not-yet-middle-aged woman enters, stands with arms akimbo, gazing about, mouth working, brow slightly knitted . . . )

Right . . . well that's enough of this shabby old place, i'n'it? . . . Here, don't just sit there, please put those books and cd's away, and please get out the Hoover for me . . . i'll go call the builders.

No one to blame but herself . . .
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:45 am
Life's tapestry sometimes has a ragged edge. So remember , a stictch in time saves a bundle of cash
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:18 pm
I have just had the pleasure of reading this entire thread. It has expressions of diversity from just about every part of the political spectrum.

Many of us are interested in the give-and-take of politics because it is the outcome of elective politics that affects our quality of life. Many devotees of political threads are rightly convinced that their's is the most important vote on the planet.

That's because we know we have a proprietary stake in what happens on election day. The more people who cast their vote, the more representative government at all levels will become.

People on A2k -- and life in general -- who have a passion for politics do so because they believe they have a personal ownership of their city, county, state and nation. The debate that is sometimes produced is often loud, biting, and personal. That's because what is being debated will, in the long run, affect our lives and those of our children.

There is no forum more important here than that devoted to politics. The debates are in reality focused on the future quality of our lives. Thus, we cuss and fuss and run the moderators ragged.

In the end, though, we know that our real purpose is to help each other reach a consensus. If some people choose to leave the debate, that seems fine to me. And that's because their's is a personal agenda rather than a consensual one. The weak of spirit and of heart do not understand what really is happening in a political debate.

Our debate should continue its boisterous ways as we approach another quadrennial election. Forums such as A2k have given voters new ways to compare and validate candidates. It is not inconceivable that such web forums could affect an election's outcome.

We appreciate what we have here; the weak need not join the fray.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:32 pm
Was that receipt for a gold tierra or a engagement ring? LOL c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:34 pm
Williamhenry that's a interesting piece. what percentage of votors go and vote at a Presidential election in USA

In the UK at our General elections it's about 75>> 85% i think.

In mid term local elections for town/city councils it's down to about 25 >> 35%
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:36 pm
williamhenry, Your description is IMHO an ideal one. Most people that hold a position will not change through discussions in political forums. I believe positions change only when it impacts their personal lives in some way that they can blame on our government. That rarely happens. c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:47 pm
Well said, William Henry! Really well said!

May I also point out that there are influences on our views of each other which aren't often raised. They include everything from the appearance of an avatar, the choice of a signature quotation, the presence or absence of a personal comment and statement of location in our personal pages, and style of expression. I know all these affect me to some degree.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 03:11 pm
WH

Audience rises, cheering.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 03:40 pm
'WH' joining the cheering crowd for WH.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 03:48 pm
Yes, williamhenry, I join in the acclaim for your sensible words!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 05:39 pm
We now return to your regularly scheduled quarrel.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 06:05 pm
boooooo!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:09 pm
Wow...

...leave for just a minute or two and all Hell breaks loose.

Allow me to nominate this lot for a Nobel in digressions.

And a question...

...is there more drama than usual in this thread...or is it my imagination?
0 Replies