Personal Attacks

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:54 pm
oldandknew wrote:
. . . hang on they've got these Dollars have got the Queen's head on 'em and something in French. Funny old world

Them there is Canajun dollars, worth about 75 cents U.S. per . . . but i'll give ya 76 cents . . . maybe . . .
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:54 pm
Seems to me that over and over again the ones who have complained about personal attacks are those who most often dish them out. It's probably more effective to stand up and defend someone else who is being treated unfairly than it is to mewl about one's own hurt feelings. Sensitivity about others -- now there's a novel concept.

Best response of all is to stick to the issues and try to keep a sense of humor.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:29 pm
I'm all for humour, after all, I have to live with Canajun dollars...I mean, what kind of country suffers when their dollar goes UP? Funny place, this is...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:32 pm
Actually, the Canadian dollar has a nice loon on it, and the Queen's head, and some English and Latin. The only currency in this country to have French on it is the Quebec Tabernac.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:36 pm
I have never launched any personal attack on anyone here, but I often become a target of impolite treatment by some particular members (nomina sunt odiosa). It is possible to disagree, to provide convincing counter-argumentation to my statements, but insults can never be justified.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:39 pm
Sorry, Cav, but yer wrong:

Ce billet a cours légal.

Banque du Canada

Cinq dollars . . .

lotta froggy talk on them Canajun bills . . .
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:41 pm
steissd wrote:
I have never launched any personal attack on anyone here, but I often become a target of impolite treatment by some particular members (nomina sunt odiosa). It is possible to disagree, to provide convincing counter-argumentation to my statements, but insults can never be justified.

You are way too stiff, Steissd. Loosen up, for crissake. Take a jab at someone once in a while. It won't make you a bad guy -- it'll make you human.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:42 pm
Oops!

Was that a personal attack?

I meant it as a joke!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:43 pm
The locked thread that Frank speaks of - I was the recipient of the personal attack - repeatedly, yet the moderator used my last post as an example to close the thread (admittedly a taunt, but not an attack).

Needless to say, I'm not very happy about it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:48 pm
Oooh...Setanta, you are talking about when we used to have PAPER money...yeah that's true. The Quebec thingy was a joke...we are not too fond of the seperatists, and 'tabernac' is a very bad word in that province....Quebec is also the only province in Canada that does not sell Dr. Pepper, but you'll have to ask them about that one...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:50 pm
Hmm, is 'Interac' French?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:55 pm
Could be--as i recall, when i went to the caisse particulière in La Patrie summer before last, there was an Interac machine in the vestibule . . .

hmmmm . . . Interac . . . rhymes with Chirac . . .

I smell a conspiracy . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:57 pm
As fer Dr. Pepper, if you consult the label of a Dr. Pepper bottled in Canada, you'll find that it contains anti-freeze--polyethylene glycol. However, you won't find that on the label of a 'Merican bottle of Dr. Pepper. DP is the only soda i drink, however, i avoid it in Canadia . . .
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:00 pm
I don't personally attack anyone.

Just as a group.

YOU PEOPLE ALL SUCK!!!

YOU SUCK!

YOU SUCK!

AND YOU SUCK, TOO!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:01 pm
Easy Slap . . . come on . . . siddown . . . where's yer medication . . . come on, buddy, think . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:05 pm
Hmm, so Canajun DP is like good old fashioned Austrian wine....that's not the reason they don't sell it in Quebec though. They just seem to be oversensitive about the term 'Pepper'.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:07 pm
There is something so embedded in the human psyche that discussions of politics and religion brings out the worst in human beings. For some, talking against some deeply held religious or political belief, is tantamount to calling their mother a whore.

I think that the only way to really understand the political climate, is to hear from all sides of the political spectrum. By doing so, a member IS taking a risk of ruffling some feathers.

IMO the best way to do this is to present the issue as dispassionately as possible. A member needs to go out of his/her way to stick to issues, and bite his tongue before he yields to the temptation to attack. Egads, we are NOT talking about anybody's mother!

Yes, it is true that we have far more liberals on A2K than conservatives. That is all the more reason that we want to keep all our interested conservative posters, and attract even more posters from across the political spectrum.

I think that we all need to realize that politics is a volatile subject, and some people take it too much to heart. As for me, observing the machinations of both the left and the right, I question whether there is a real statesman left in the whole shootin' match! So there!! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:15 pm
I'd like to take the opportunity here, to also point out that when liberal members make snide or insulting remarks about the Shrub, i have often seen conservatives go off, and make accusations about personal attacks, and flaming. It is incomprehensible to me that someone would so closely identify with someone who is essentially a stranger to them, that they will take personal offense at remarks directed at that person. One member whom i have not seen here in months was particularly bad for that.

If someone here starts slammin' Slick Willy, er his wife the Sen-ee-tor, it don't bother me none--in fact, it usually amuses me. I think that senses of perspective and proportion would help a great deal with this issue.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:17 pm
cjhsa wrote:
The locked thread that Frank speaks of - I was the recipient of the personal attack - repeatedly, yet the moderator used my last post as an example to close the thread (admittedly a taunt, but not an attack).

Needless to say, I'm not very happy about it.

Actually, that was not the thread I was referencing.

The thread I was speaking of ended when someone called me an "asshole."

Now can anyone imagine someone calling me an asshole?

Easy, folks, easy!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:18 pm
Oooooooooooo . . . i can . . . i can . . .

ok, ok, i'll settle down . . .
0 Replies