Personal Attacks

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:10 pm
I am starting to lose interest in A2K as 3/4's of the discussion involves making irrelevent stabs at the other side. I participate in other political forums and none of them have such anger towards other forum members.

I enjoy the occasional jab, and I am guilty of making the jabs sometimes, but the levels I see here are getting ridiculous. None of us are experts in the realm of politics, economics, foreign affairs. we only have our opinions and the opinions that we find and quote. No ones opinion is any more important than anyone elses.

If it keeps up, I may be forced to stop visiting A2k as i don't need the aggravation.

Thank you, please take a numbers and post your flames below...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 12,283 • Replies: 250
No top replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:19 pm
"Thank you, please take a numbers and post your flames below..."

It's exactly that kind of inflamatory statement that has gotten so much trouble. It's really quite simple, McG. If you stop attacking personally, others will respond in kind.

"If it keeps up, I may be forced to stop visiting A2k as i don't need the aggravation. "

As somone said in another thread - who said you're the boss? Nobody is forcing you to do something you don't want to do. When you dish it out, you should expect the dish to come back. If that makes it unpleasant for you, then either stop dishing it out, or leave the dishes in the sink and find another room.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:29 pm
I agree with Mama here, McG.

You go out of your way to discuss the nuances of issues that are the most contentious between liberals and conservatives -- and then you seem aghast when some of the responses are in-your-face.

Frankly, I think this forum is being run very, very well.

I had a few reservations a while back that perhaps the powers were running herd a bit too closely -- but I have changed my mind on that.

If anyone really gets out of hand with personal attacks -- it is handled immediately -- and without leniency.

I for one -- and I am someone who disagrees with most of what you hold dear -- would sorely hate to see you go. In fact, I would go so far as to say -- I really request that you give up that notion.

I suggest that you may be a bit bothered by the fact that it seems there are more people in A2K who are on the opposite side of the political coin from you. But that is no reason to throw in the towel.

Play the game.

Political discussions ain't pretty for the most part -- but they are interesting.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:34 pm
I am not speaking of just myself, but for everyone. The levels of personal attacks have been going steadily up lately. I only request that we discuss the issues, not the poster.

I have come to expect it from certain posters here. a Pavlovian response if you will.
Show me an example where I initiate a personal attack. The comment you quote is by no means a personal attack. (Edited).

I have nothing good left to say about this, so i will not say anything else.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:52 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I am not speaking of just myself, but for everyone. The levels of personal attacks have been going steadily up lately. I only request that we discuss the issues, not the poster.

Noone is forced to stay here.

There are "A2K DEBATE GUIDELINES" and "Terms of Service / Disclaimer".
On 'Politics' and similar categories (e.g. 'International News' et al.) participatatnts are perhaps a little bit more engaged in discussions then on 'Pets and Garden'.

You proved this yourself.

Quote:

Well, at least, you aren't speaking for me.
Since I'm alittle bit longer on this site than you, I can't share your judgement neither.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:59 pm
Frank said:
You go out of your way to discuss the nuances of issues that are the most contentious between liberals and conservatives -- and then you seem aghast when some of the responses are in-your-face.
------------------

I think we should be able to zero in on any issue or point, and still keep the responses on topic and off member.

I have watered myself down to nothing on political issues because I have given up being able to address most subjects without recieving personal attacks. Since I have grown fond of most members, and since most members are liberal, and since most of these afore mentioned folk get personal in topics they don't like--I'm not really a political poster anymore. (I would like to say this isn't a liberal phenomenon. It is a pack mentality feeding frenzy, commonly perpetrated by the majority anywhere. Here, it is lib... and not ALL, but the majority.)

If McG berates Clinton, applauds Coutler, or says he enjoyed a cross-burning last Saturday night--why can't people respond to the issue--cut the thought down to the quick, without insulting McG?

It seems Frank's statement can be reduced to-- If you say something I/we really don't like, you asked for a personal attack.

I feel McG's pain. MANY times, we could have a rollicking discourse, but the more conservative members IMO pass many discussions, leaving the libs in their Amen Corner. I wish we could try the TOS, and really not respond personally.

Of course, I have no complaint, as I am treated well. Because I have largely capitulated in an effort to maintain friendly vibes. Rolling Eyes

McG-- I hope you stay.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:06 pm
I find this a most disingenuous thread. On June 21st, McG posted the following paragraph as a part of the "Quagmire" thread:

McGentrix wrote:
I have, therfore, come to the following conclusion. Many leftists on this board are anti-american and nothing any does or says will change their opinions of America. It's like talking to a wall.

Yet McG complains of the tone of discussion, and personal attacks? Puh-leeeeze . . . i objected to this remark immediately as a veteran who served honorably. When you pour out a pool of gasoline, and throw on the match, you have little room to complain about having been flamed.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:18 pm
Sofia wrote:
Frank said:
------------------

I think we should be able to zero in on any issue or point, and still keep the responses on topic and off member.

So do I. I certainly was not saying one should not post contentious posts -- just that one should understand that when one posts contentious posts -- contentiousness is what results.

Quote:
It seems Frank's statement can be reduced to-- If you say something I/we really don't like, you asked for a personal attack.

I cannot conceive that my statement can be reduced to that -- and I think one really has to torture logic to do so.

I am saying that if you initiate contentious posts -- you are going to get passionate responses.

I think if there are personal attacks -- the monitors should be put on notice immediately -- and I can almost guarantee that they will throw cold water on it stat. In fact, I saw a thread locked just a few days ago because of a personal attack.

But some passion has to be allowed in discussions of politics and religion -- and I think McG may be exhibiting a bit of thin skin here. I certainly mean no personal attacks against him, but I just as certainly have enjoyed tweaking him for what I see as naive or illogical views.

The last thing I want to see is one less conservative in the political arena of A2K. I would like to see McG here -- and I'd love to see more of Sofia.

(Let me reword that: I'd love to see Sofia do more arguing in the political threads!)

For the conservatives here: That was a joke.

For the liberals: That last line was a joke also.

Come on, folks. Roll with the punches. Have some fun. It is not going to get that down and dirty here.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:24 pm
Well McGentrix, I'm rubber and you're glue and anything you stay bounces off me and sticks to you.

As for you Sofia, meet me under the seesaw at recess. I like you . Do you like me? Check yes or no. :wink:
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:28 pm
Walter, Set, well said guys.
I can't say I have ever been aware of anyone here giving me a load of grief and heartache. I may exchange the odd merry jape here and there but no malice is involved.
My one major issue of contention is Britain joining Yourope. I'm anti and vocal. But no one has shot me yet.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:30 pm
I'm sorry I called you a big fat geek.

Don't leave....we'll cry.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:36 pm
OAK, you've no need to worry that you'll be shot . . . unless, of course, we find out that yer sittin' on top of huge petroleum reserves--but then, we'll give you until midnight next Tuesday to surrender . . .
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:36 pm
I am sorry you don't take these things seriously, but I am sure you will be the first ones whining that not enough was done if something should happen.

McGentrix drawing first blood on my "Are you surprised" thread. Don't snipe back at him though, he's sensitive.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:40 pm
oldandknew wrote:

My one major issue of contention is Britain joining Yourope. I'm anti and vocal. But no one has shot me yet.

Since I will visit Albion shortly again, I know now what to do in London Laughing
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:45 pm
Set.. not the petroleum. A guy called Jay Ah from Big Texas Oil says he'd buy it. For top Dollar............ hang on they've got these Dollars have got the Queen's head on 'em and something in French. Funny old world
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:45 pm
8 posts later and none of you have said anything about what was written. Just a bunch of whining. Typical.

McGentrix responding in the "Is The Bush Administration Conservative Thread" This guy is a paragon of reasonableness and kindness.

Leave him alone you big bullies.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:48 pm
Now now Walter, I've considered buying a nice Volkswagen, you wont want to lose them a sale now would you.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:51 pm
McG,
... I love debating with you. You seem to be a good sport. On certain subjects (politics, & religion) we all have to police ourselves, and I think for the most part we do a pretty good job. Think I'm lyin'? Go try abuzz for a while. Rolling Eyes Hey pal, remember the old Drifters song?:

"Don't Go...,
Please st-a-a-y,
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:51 pm
Oh, in this case, I'm convinced and certaily will leave all weapons at home. (My momentarily OPEL is mostly a VAUXHALL - so we keep the balance.)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:52 pm
I have generally found that personal attacks get dealt with fairly swiftly here. Mind you, I do not spend a whole lot of time in the Politics forum, mostly because it is not my forte.

I am going to throw out a little peace offering here, an anonymous radio-show caller that we can ALL make fun off, liberal or conservative.

This woman calls in a talk show to yell about how Bush is a murderer, and how she is against capital punishment. "I don't think that just because someone kills someone that that gives Bush the right to execute them."

"So if someone killed your mom, you wouldn't want to see them die?"

"No, it's still not right."

"Well, I disagree."

(Classic response): "Oh, so you think that if everyone on earth killed someone else that the world should end?"

Laughing If we are going to personally attack someone, let it be that caller, who does not post here, btw, as far as I know. Don't go McG, it's really not so bad here.
0 Replies