Dinner Party Guest List--Any Ten People Who Ever Lived

New Haven

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:05 pm
If Moses comes, invite Chas Heston too. Then we can make comparisons between the two gents.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:09 pm
nimh, poor Sid Vicious....he was the bass player who died of a heroin overdose. Johnny Rotten, who is still alive, well, and an acerbic wit, was the lead singer of the Sex Pistols, and I would have him at a dinner party any day Very Happy
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:45 pm
Johnnie Rotten at the same table as Jesus Christ and Moses?

What next?

J. Lo becomes a Catholic nun?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 01:50 pm
Sure, wouldn't be dull, that's for certain.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:12 pm
Did anyone mention Cleopatra?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:13 pm
She could come with Queen Victoria. That ought to stir J. Lo up a bit!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:26 pm
Richard Feynman, Blatham, Petronius, Sor Juana de la Cruz, Maimonides, Carl Binger, James Agee, George Seldes, Galileo, Jacob Riis.

Gazpacho, roast whole snapper, new potatoes, fresh new-leaf salad greens in olive oil and lemon, ciabatta and assorted cheeses, Canary melon, espresso, good choice of dry white wines.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:53 pm
Now the menus interest me a lot....maybe mix up the thread a bit?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:57 pm
Marie Curie, chemist and Nobel Prize winner
Hillary Clinton, intelligent civil servant
Florence Nightingale, nurse reformer
Pocahontas, American India Princess
Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt
Jane Austen, English novelist
Queen Victoria, introduction of pompous stuffiness
Sappho, Greek poet of the 7th century BC
Phyllis Wheatley, one famous woman
Hatshepsut, Only female phaoroh of Egypt
I love to surround myself with intelligent, gutsy, exciting women. c.i.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 03:03 pm
I picked Jean Harlowe, CI. Did I do wrong?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 03:37 pm
cavfancier wrote:
nimh, poor Sid Vicious....he was the bass player who died of a heroin overdose. Johnny Rotten, who is still alive, well, and an acerbic wit, was the lead singer of the Sex Pistols, and I would have him at a dinner party any day Very Happy

yup, ye're right, f course - and johnny rotten it is, at my table.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 03:53 pm
i must admit i always liked the clash better than the sex pistols, when it comes down to it - and if i was going to have a 5-person dinner, i'd invite them rather than rotten & vicious & co. BUT ... nothing the clash ever made quite gives ya that shock into tensed up energy and agression that ya can yell & snarl along to with such liberating vigour as 'pretty vacant' or 'god saves the queen' or 'anarchy in the uk'. i STILL play 'never mind the bollocks' ... its still the best punk album i know ... tho i must admit i now mostly play it when i'm doing the dishes (just gotta watch out you dont break anything).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 03:55 pm
edgar, Ofcoarse not! If we all had the same taste in women, humanity will live in chaos, killing, and very little life left to enjoy the fruits of our 'labors.' Wink
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:17 pm
This talk of Jean Harlow made me decide to organize a theatrical dinner party. I've always loved the stage and I wonder how these peoples would all interact.

Will Shakespeare gets a re-invite. Hell, I'd invite Will to every dinner I hosted if he'd be willing to come. Ask him to bring Ben Johnson and his pal Henslowe along. That's the Elizabethans.

Euripides would have to be there. He and the Elizabethans could discuss how the theater has changed since the ancient Greeks. And Plautus to represent the Romans.

The brothers Booth, Edwin and John Wilkes. (I won't invite Abe Lincoln this time. Don't know how he and John Wilkes would get along.)

We need some wimmin now. Sarah Bernhard for sure. Lillian Hellman. (But she can't bring Dash Hammet as her date. I have nothing against Hammet, but I don't think he'd mix well with the theater crowd.) Maybe Greta Garbo.

Is that 10? Close enough. Have Eugene O'Neill and Marilyn Monroe in the wings as possible substitutes if someone can't make it.

The menu? I'd have it catered by staff of the Russian Tea Room, another memory out of the past.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:18 pm
Jean was hot.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 07:20 pm
Katharine Hepburn - oh I love her soooooo! <sniff,sniff>
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:03 pm
Breaking news: Katherine Hepburn dies at age 96

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20030630/D7RVPHJ00.html

Let's have a toast to a wonderful actress, and a truly classy lady.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:06 pm
Wow...how sad. Here's to Kate and whatever dinner party she may be attending in her new realm.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 08:26 pm
Yes, Cav. The calla lilies are in bloom tonight. Bogie and Kate...Spencer and Kate...Henry and Kate...but mostly, just Kate.

Cheers to the first lady of cinema
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 12:36 am
I see that c.i. and Merry Andrew are now planning theme parties. Okay by me.

And there's an interest in menus? Also okay by me.

Sorry to hear that Kate Hepburn died. Is there anyone left from the golden age of cinema?
0 Replies