Profiles In Liberal Hypocricy

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:17 am
candidone1 wrote:
I know this is not necessarily the place, but for the record, since LSM seems content to lambaste liberals for their apparent addiction to being hypocritical, would you argue that being a hypocrite is a quality unique to liberals?

Absolutely not, nor do I believe that all liberals are hypocrites, anymore than all conservatives are pure. However, I've devoted this thread to liberal hypocrites, feel free to start one on conservative hypocrites, in fact, I'll start you off with two, Newt Gingrich & Bob Barr.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:22 am
kelticwizard wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:
If you don't care what the readers here think, why do you write 50 posts a day, day after day?

LoneStarMadam wrote:
That is something else that's none of your business & why are you so interested in how i spend my time?

I frankly do not care how you spend your time, but if you choose to use that time posting on this website I presume you want people to think you are telling the truth.

If you write a book or column, I presume you want to believe what you wrote. Otherwise, why write it? If you cut a record, I presume you want people to listen to it. Otherwise, why record it?

And it you post on a website, I presume you want people to believe you are telling the truth. Otherwise, why post here?

So when you make assertions here, it is only natural that people ask for evidence of them so they can judge if you are telling the truth or not. If you truly, truly, do not care if people think you are telling the truth, and make it a matter of principle NOT to provide evidence that you are telling the truth, then you are admitting you are wasting time posting here and we are wasting time reading your posts.

Is that what you want?

Simple, when i do post a source/liink, it's poo-pooed, so why bother?
So, why is your business how I spend my time?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:23 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Quote:
that is something else that's none of your business & why are you so interested in how i spend my time?

Excuse me, dude, but it is OUR business, your unbearable presence here has changed the tenor of this community. I, at one time, had a similar but not nearly as abusive tone myself (although all my posts contained some underlying humor) and have adjusted to the style of the community considerably while still retaining some of my pitcow tendencies.

I suggest that if you want to stay here and are not merely marking time until your ban at the other forum is served, that you do the same

Dig, dude?

ROTFLMAO You are hilarious, sickening, grossy so, but still, hilarious.

I wish I was so hilarious...well, I have had good nights and bad nights..stand-up is not that easy in San Francisco, especially when there are 10.000 other Lesbian comics to compete with... grossy though? That's a new one...

Dude, could you explain what grossy means?

grossly....better?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:34 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:

That's just the point. If your source is stupid NewsMax, then anyone sane can essentially discount it, since NewsMax is simply a propaganda source. There are any number of false assertions flying around the internet at any given time, and we have the right to know where the poster gets his/her information from. If the poster insists he/she doesn't care if you believe him/her or not, despite taking the effort to write fifty posts a day, we know that poster is not being honest with us.

LoneStarMadam wrote:
It isn't. But if you choose to spend your time here on this board as you do, we certainly have the right to expect you back up your assertions with some credible sources. NewsMax, CNS, and WorldNetDaily are not among those.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 02:29 am
kelticwizard wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:
If you don't care what the readers here think, why do you write 50 posts a day, day after day?

LoneStarMadam wrote:
That is something else that's none of your business & why are you so interested in how i spend my time?

I frankly do not care how you spend your time, but if you choose to use that time posting on this website I presume you want people to think you are telling the truth.

Ever read the spoofs written and posted by Gustavratzenhofer? He gets his point across by satire, not "telling the truth."

If you write a book or column, I presume you want to believe what you wrote. Otherwise, why write it? If you cut a record, I presume you want people to listen to it. Otherwise, why record it?

Have you never played devil's advocate with your writing? Many people write because they have something to say and that's the vehicle they choose to use. They write or sing for themselves. If it makes others react (positively or negatively) that's a bonus.

And it you post on a website, I presume you want people to believe you are telling the truth. Otherwise, why post here?

For the sport of it. To relieve stress. To kill time until the TV show comes on. For lack of anything better to do at the moment. To campaign for a belief. To challenge beliefs.

So when you make assertions here, it is only natural that people ask for evidence of them so they can judge if you are telling the truth or not. If you truly, truly, do not care if people think you are telling the truth, and make it a matter of principle NOT to provide evidence that you are telling the truth, then you are admitting you are wasting time posting here and we are wasting time reading your posts.

Why would you ever presume people are telling the truth on a website? If you're the critical thinker you present yourself as being, you'll do research using your own sources to educate yourself and come to a judgement. The reason you want sources given is so you can easily disregard the point being made without having to check into the allegations for yourself. And let's be frank here. You aren't interested in judging whether a truth is being asserted. You're interested in whether it agrees with YOUR truth.

Is that what you want?

Giving sources does nothing to aid judgement of an assertion. You're judging the source, not the assertion. If you're not interested in doing the work to determine the validity of the assertions, stop reading and responding to them.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 02:43 am
kelticwizard wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
It isn't. But if you choose to spend your time here on this board as you do, we certainly have the right to expect you back up your assertions with some credible sources. NewsMax, CNS, and WorldNetDaily are not among those.

You have no such right at all. You've already judged that her sources are not up to your standards. You do have the right to choose whether or not to read. You could respond to her assertions with your own credible sources or ignore them as you do her sources.

If the quality of one's presentation of assertions, supporting facts and sources were a prerequisite of membership here, there'd be very few posts.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 03:26 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Why would you ever presume people are telling the truth on a website?

So in other words, the Politics forum has now officially devolved to the point where people spout anything that popped into their minds, and the person who challenges it is the party-pooper?

She made an assertion, she should be willing to back it up or be considered a load of hot air. Like anyone else.

Butrflynet wrote:
If you're the critical thinker you present yourself as being, you'll do research using your own sources to educate yourself and come to a judgement.

She gave a link to an advertisement, on a propaganda website, to a book which costs over $20. She quoted the blurbs from the book, then demanded rebuttal for these blurbs. So the only way we could satisfy her is to shell out money for the partisan book, read the author's evidence, rebut the author's evidence, all for the pleasure of LoneStarMadam who won't even be bothered to buy the book herself.

I have no intention of doing that, nor would any other sane person. If LoneStarMadam thinks the assertions in this book require rebuttal, let HER buy the book, quote from it, give the evidence the book has to offer, then ask for rebuttal. I have no intention of making her case for her, then going through the effor of rebutting it. Would you?

Butrflynet wrote:
The reason you want sources given is so you can easily disregard the point being made without having to check into the allegations for yourself.
I don't have the right to judge sources? Newsmax, CNS and WorldNetDaily are partisan rags which give only one side of the story-their "news" articles might as well be labelled editorials. I don't ask LoneStarMadam to rebut Democratic Underground or Daily Kos-I have the right to expect her to reciprocate and not expect rebuttal for NewsMax, WorldNetDaily, etc.

Butrflynet wrote:
And let's be frank here. You aren't interested in judging whether a truth is being asserted. You're interested in whether it agrees with YOUR truth.

So what are we all doing here? You tell me. Because I always thought we were here to discuss each other's assertions and beliefs, and to see if they can stand up to examination. Sure, if there is a statement or idea I disagree with-and a few minutes conversation with most people will tell you what they are likely to agree with or not-I will disagree and expect some sort of proof or evidence. Isn't that what most people do?

And your problem is.......?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 03:41 am
kelticwizard wrote:
....if you choose to spend your time here on this board as you do, we certainly have the right to expect you back up your assertions with some credible sources. NewsMax, CNS, and WorldNetDaily are not among those.

Butrflynet wrote:
You have no such right at all.
Good grief, why not? If someone told you that a UFO landed across the street, and gave as his source UFO Monthly magazine, would you accept that as proof?

Butrflynet wrote:
You've already judged that her sources are not up to your standards.
Yup, NewsMax, WorldNetDaily and UFO Monthly are not up to my standards, for reasons I have already given. Tell me, do YOU have any standards for sources, or does anything that manages to get printed or achieve space on a website count as proof for you?

Butrflynet wrote:
You do have the right to choose whether or not to read.
True.

Butrflynet wrote:
You could respond to her assertions with your own credible sources or ignore them as you do her sources.
Or I could ask her to give her sources, which I did. And I have the right to comment on the credibility of those sources, if she gives them.

Butrflynet wrote:
If the quality of one's presentation of assertions, supporting facts and sources were a prerequisite of membership here, there'd be very few posts.
Perhaps. But one shold be ready to defend one's ideas if challenged. Otherwise we don't have a discussion forum, we have a poll.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:19 am
Quote:
She made an assertion, she should be willing to back it up or be considered a load of hot air. Like anyone else.

Obviously, she's willing to be considered a load of hot air by you. It is of no importance to her. Your demand is meaningless in that circumstance and doesn't prevent her from posting. As long as her decorum is within the TOS of this website she can post anything she likes. Just as the TOS of this website enables you to ignore it. Your expectations do not control her. You only have control of yourself. If her assertion offends your sensibility, either dismiss it as an annoyance or present a counter-argument to educate her.

Quote:
She gave a link to an advertisement, on a propaganda website, to a book which costs over $20. She quoted the blurbs from the book, then demanded rebuttal for these blurbs. So the only way we could satisfy her is to shell out money for the partisan book, read the author's evidence, rebut the author's evidence, all for the pleasure of LoneStarMadam who won't even be bothered to buy the book herself.

I have no intention of doing that, nor would any other sane person. If LoneStarMadam thinks the assertions in this book require rebuttal, let HER buy the book, quote from it, give the evidence the book has to offer, then ask for rebuttal. I have no intention of making her case for her, then going through the effor of rebutting it. Would you?

She does that quite well, doesn't she. She's good at presenting a derogatory statement that you can't respond to without sounding like a hypocrite. Either write it off as that load of hot air you put on her or figure out a way to dismantle it if it is worth investing your time. Just because she yanks your chain, doesn't mean you have to bark.

So, she's not living up to your expectations, nor playing by the same subset of rules that you want to play by. Why keep getting angry at her for being willing to be considered a load of hot air? You keep giving her that breath of air needed to increase the load. Find a person willing to play by your rules and have a great time.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:51 am
kelticwizard wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:
....if you choose to spend your time here on this board as you do, we certainly have the right to expect you back up your assertions with some credible sources. NewsMax, CNS, and WorldNetDaily are not among those.

Butrflynet wrote:
You have no such right at all.
Good grief, why not? If someone told you that a UFO landed across the street, and gave as his source UFO Monthly magazine, would you accept that as proof?

I'd tell them they're quite observant, ask for pictures with themselves in the scene with the UFO, and ignore anything else said on the subject if they were not given. You keep trying to dictate whether or not she can spend her time here, based on how well she jumps through the hoops you've set up. If she wants to take a pair of scissors and bust open the hoop rather than jump through it, more power to her! Putting more of your hoops out there while wagging your finger when she busts them again, just gets silly after awhile, especially when you hear the snickering.

Butrflynet wrote:
You've already judged that her sources are not up to your standards.
Yup, NewsMax, WorldNetDaily and UFO Monthly are not up to my standards, for reasons I have already given. Tell me, do YOU have any standards for sources, or does anything that manages to get printed or achieve space on a website count as proof for you?

Butrflynet wrote:
You do have the right to choose whether or not to read.
True.

Butrflynet wrote:
You could respond to her assertions with your own credible sources or ignore them as you do her sources.
Or I could ask her to give her sources, which I did. And I have the right to comment on the credibility of those sources, if she gives them.

Butrflynet wrote:
Perhaps. But one shold be ready to defend one's ideas if challenged. Otherwise we don't have a discussion forum, we have a poll.

Quote:
Tell me, do YOU have any standards for sources, or does anything that manages to get printed or achieve space on a website count as proof for you?

I try to pick my battles. If I'm interested enough to look, I don't depend on other people to provide sources for me. I go find them on my own. And yes, many sources serve as input to the data collecting effort. I like to read as many points of view as I can find. I also don't fall for the little tidbits offered here to instigate many of these arguments. Bait and hot air seem to be very attractive to some. Why is that?

0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:58 am
kelticwizard wrote:
]She made an assertion, she should be willing to back it up or be considered a load of hot air. Like anyone else.

Butrflynet wrote:
Obviously, she's willing to be considered a load of hot air by you. It is of no importance to her.
Before you speak on someone else's behalf, did you talk to her first? Perhaps she doesn't like being called a load of hot air. At any rate, if she wishes to post here and make assertions that she refuses to back up, I have the right to take her to task for it. Or don't I? I seek only information.

Butrflynet wrote:
Your demand is meaningless in that circumstance and doesn't prevent her from posting. As long as her decorum is within the TOS of this website she can post anything she likes.
And as long as I am within the TOS, I can post anything I like in reaction to her posting. Now that we have established that any member may post anything that is within the TOS, can somebody please tell me what the point is?

Butrflynet wrote:
Your expectations do not control her.
You have evidence I am trying to control her?

Butrflynet wrote:
You only have control of yourself.
I certainly like to think so. Very Happy

Butrflynet wrote:
If her assertion offends your sensibility, either dismiss it as an annoyance or present a counter-argument to educate her.
Who is trying to control who, now? How about Choice C, ask her to back up her statement with evidence? Sounds reasonable to me-do you find it not so?

kelticwizard wrote:

Butrflynet wrote:
She's good at presenting a derogatory statement that you can't respond to without sounding like a hypocrite.
You consider asking someone to present evidence for their assertions as sounding like a hypocrite? I disagree entirely. I think it is quite normal to do so.

Butrflynet wrote:
Either write it off as that load of hot air you put on her or figure out a way to dismantle it if it is worth investing your time. Just because she yanks your chain, doesn't mean you have to bark.
Asking her to present evidence, followed by her inability to present that evidence, is a dismantling.

Butrflynet wrote:
Why keep getting angry at her for being willing to be considered a load of hot air?
I am not getting angry at her for being a load of hot air, I'm just pointing out that unless she can present evidence to back up her many claims, she IS a load of hot air. It's not anger, it's a public service to point it out.

Butrflynet wrote:
You keep giving her that breath of air needed to increase the load.
So now it's my fault because I allow her to keep breathing?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 06:55 am
Okay, I did your research for you. It was rather easy. It popped up immediately, but I spent the rest of an hour looking deeper through about 25 websites to see if I could find anything factual.

It all is a big circular reference of blogs and online ezines that points back to each other with various interview quotes, and refers to an image of a tax return on the back cover of the book, but no where, not even his publisher shows the back of the book.

The publisher has this enticing book description that skims the Michael Moore accusations and gives an excerpt from the book to read. The trouble is that the excerpt is about Chomsky, not what was asserted in the Publisher's book description about Moore.

Within the one hour limitation I devoted to this, a Google search shows no images available of the backcover of the book, nor of the tax form pointed to as evidence.

The closest I got to any detail was at this link:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47662

Quote:
In a nationally televised speech, filmmaker Michael Moore told a college audience he absolutely does not own any Halliburton stock - or any other stock for that matter - a charge leveled at him by author Peter Schweizer in the best-seller book "Do As I Say (Not As I Do)."

There's just one problem with that denial, says Schweizer. He's got the tax returns of Moore's non-profit foundation to prove it - a non-profit foundation for which there are only two officers, Moore and his wife.

"I think people find that stuff funny - Michael Moore owns Halliburton stock," said Moore in the Nov. 23 Mott College speech carried by C-SPAN. "That's like a great comedy line. I know it's not true. I've never owned a share of stock in my life -- anything. Did anyone see that a couple weeks ago? Somebody was yakking away. And I just thought, uh, that's funny, I guess. Anyone who knows me is not going to believe that. Who's going to believe that? Just crazy people are going to believe it."

It must be the definition of the word "own" that is the source of controversy, suggests Schweizer, the author of a book on liberal hypocrisy. Moore has emphatically made the claim repeatedly over the years: "I don't own a single share of stock!"

He's right. He doesn't own a single share. He owns tens of thousands of shares - including nearly 2,000 shares of Boeing, nearly 1,000 of Sonoco, more than 4,000 of Best Foods, more than 3,000 of Eli Lilly, more than 8,000 of Bank One and more than 2,000 of Halliburton, the company most vilified by Moore in "Fahrenheit 9/11," according to Schweizer's book.

In fact, the Schedule D form declaring his capital gains and losses where his stock ownership is listed, it's emblazoned on the cover of Schweizer's book.

But Moore's loophole may be that the stock is actually owned by his non-profit foundation - not him personally. However, Moore signed the return personally and controls the activity of the corporation.

Here's the publisher's site on the book. You can even take the Name the Liberal Hypocrite quiz and get a jump on the answers for the next bit of bait thrown out for reaction in this thread.

Do a Google News Search using Peter Schweizer as the terms and you'll find a few "interviews" about the book but little investigative confirmation of the details. Schweizer's book came out a year ago and has gotten a second wind of PR this year in an effort to discredit Pelosi (and sell more books!)

I'll leave it to others to decide if being an officer in a non-profit organization that owns stock constitutes hypocrisy.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 07:45 am
Butrflynet wrote:

I'll leave it to others to decide if being an officer in a non-profit organization that owns stock constitutes hypocrisy.

You'll leave it to others to decide if...?

You just did all that research showing there was no evidence to support the claim. What's to decide?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:13 am
Butterfly has one thing right--this is a bait thread.

Suppose the Madame could prove that Michael Moore has stock in Halliburton? Who gives a rat's ass? I don't, and Michael Moore does not speak for me, nor does he form my views for me.

This is a pathetic attempt to attack other members here with an hilariously inept accusation of guilt by association. I don't associate with Michael Moore, and he has never gotten one penny of mine, because i've never watched his goofy movies.

Bait thread, that's all this is. But sadly, the Madame has succeeded in getting her sad, sad jolies slinging turds at others here.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:23 am
Setanta wrote:

Suppose the Madame could prove that Michael Moore has stock in Halliburton? Who gives a rat's ass? I don't, and Michael Moore does not speak for me, nor does he form my views for me.

This is a pathetic attempt to attack other members here with an hilariously inept accusation of guilt by association. I don't associate with Michael Moore, and he has never gotten one penny of mine, because i've never watched his goofy movies.

Bait thread, that's all this is. But sadly, the Madame has succeeded in getting her sad, sad jolies slinging turds at others here.

Poppycock!
Bait? Then why did you post on the thread?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:24 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
I know this is not necessarily the place, but for the record, since LSM seems content to lambaste liberals for their apparent addiction to being hypocritical, would you argue that being a hypocrite is a quality unique to liberals?

Absolutely not, nor do I believe that all liberals are hypocrites, anymore than all conservatives are pure. However, I've devoted this thread to liberal hypocrites, feel free to start one on conservative hypocrites, in fact, I'll start you off with two, Newt Gingrich & Bob Barr.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:25 am
I'd like to see what the tax form says. I'd also like to know the nature of the NPO. I already know that Schweizer's assumes it is a two-person NPO because only the two Moores are listed as the officers. He doesn't mention that most organizations only have two or three officers and the rest are employees or volunteers, not required to be cited by name.

What is evident is there isn't much of a presence on the internet as far as proof you can see with your own eyes, such as the tax form image on the back of the book, or any detail for the NPO.

I'm not ready to say that Moore does not own any stock until I know more about the NPO structure and beneficiaries.

But, then again, it really doesn't matter. If I recall in roger & Me, the way he got into the General Motors shareholder's meeting was to attend as a shareholder. Maybe his film company, DogEatDog Films purchased the stock, not him as an individual.

Semantics and spin doctoring are at work on both sides of the dodge.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:43 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Poppycock!
Bait? Then why did you post on the thread?

Because i enjoy jerking your chain.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:45 am
As i have said, I'm glad that people own stocks, that there are wealthy people because a poor person has never given me a job. What i don't like is the hypocricy, somebody beatinng wealthy people over the head because they're wealthy & making oodles & oodles of $$ themselves by beating wealthy peopl over the head.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:48 am
kelticwizard wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

That's just the point. If your source is stupid NewsMax, then anyone sane can essentially discount it, since NewsMax is simply a propaganda source. There are any number of false assertions flying around the internet at any given time, and we have the right to know where the poster gets his/her information from. If the poster insists he/she doesn't care if you believe him/her or not, despite taking the effort to write fifty posts a day, we know that poster is not being honest with us.

LoneStarMadam wrote:

You just proved my point. I should only use sources that are approved by someone else. That ain't gonna happen, MoveOn & DemUnderground aren't in my most trusted sites or publications list.
0 Replies