McCain 08?

xingu

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 04:40 pm
Hey, I think McCain has the solution to Bush's War; pray.

Quote:
Quote:
"I do believe this issue isn't going to be around in 2008. I think it's going to either tip into civil war … " He breaks off, as if not wanting to rehearse the handful of other unattractive possibilities. "Listen," he says, "I believe in prayer. I pray every night." And that's where he leaves his discussion of the war this morning: at the kneeling rail.

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/01/03/mccain-iraq-vanity-fair/
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 07:11 am
The Vanity Fair article on John McCain. It's lengthy but good.

http://www.vanityfair.com./politics/features/2007/02/mccain200702?printable=true&currentPage=all
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 11:30 am
Quote:
McCain no longer rocks in Granite State
By Brett Arends
Boston Herald Business Columnist

Thursday, January 18, 2007 - Updated: 12:17 PM EST

As Mitt, Hillary, Barack and a dozen others jump into the presidential stampede, something interesting is happening in New Hampshire.

For seven years, conventional wisdom has said that the state's pivotal independent voters would line up behind maverick Sen. John McCain, as they did so famously in the 2000 GOP primary. But new polling data, to be released later this week, will suggest that might no longer be the case.

Manchester, N.H.-based American Research Group finds that McCain's popularity among New Hampshire's independent voters has collapsed.

"John McCain is tanking," says ARG president Dick Bennett. "That's the big thing [we're finding]. In New Hampshire a year ago he got 49 percent among independent voters. That number's way down, to 29 percent now."

American Research Group, which is New Hampshire's leading polling company and has been operating in the state since 1976, polled 1,200 likely Granite State voters in the survey.

Bennett says ARG is finding a similar trend in other states polled, including early primary battlegrounds like Iowa and Nevada. "We're finding this everywhere," he says.

The main reason isn't hard to find: His hawkish stance on the Iraq war, which is tying him ever more closely to an unpopular president. "Independent support for McCain is evaporating because they view him as tied to Bush," says Bennett.

The McCain camp yesterday said the senator, who is pushing for a bigger troop surge in Iraq than the president, will stick by his guns. "He has been and will remain committed to achieving victory in Iraq," a spokesman said.

New Hampshire is among the states that allow independents to vote in either party's primary. It was their support that gave McCain his huge primary victory there over then-Texas Gov. George W. Bush in 2000.

If the senator is losing that base, it opens the GOP race to other challengers. And it weakens his strongest pitch to Republican die-hards - namely that his appeal to independents makes him the most electable candidate in the general election.

"It's significant that McCain is going down rather than up at this critical juncture in the early maneuvering," comments Larry Sabato, who chairs the University of Virginia's Center for Politics. "It suggests that, contrary to conventional wisdom, John McCain may not be secure as the GOP front-runner. But a lot can change."

The big question for 2008: Where will all those independents end up?

Mitt Romney could have made a strong pitch to them if he weren't instead running to the right. ARG's poll finds some like Rudy Giuliani. Others, switching sides, are warming to Democratic Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois.

But most are now up for grabs.

http://news.bostonherald.com/editorial/view.bg?articleid=177706&format=text
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 11:38 am
Right now, at this very moment, moveon.org is airing negative commercials about McCain in NH and Iowa. McCain needs to start countering these malicious ads to counter these polls.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 11:39 am
That's good news to learn McCain is losing his luster. I wrote him off when he approved the torture bill; he's a sleeze with no ethics.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 11:46 am
moveon doesn't need to bother.

regular media coverage should be enough to deal with McCain.

Quote:
Opponents of the war from all parts of the country have begun action campaigns to demand that Congress block the escalation. Last week more than 1,000 opposition rallies were held in all 50 states and a new campaign was launched -- Americans Against Escalation in Iraq, which brings together labor unions, veterans' organizations, domestic agenda groups and anti-war organizations

this ^^^ coupled with McCain's support of escalation ... that's a good starter
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 03:04 pm
xingu wrote:

Thanks, that was indeed a long, but well worthwhile read. It's a pretty intense portrait of the man.

As a portrait of the man, personally, it's objective as well - not in the way that everything's turned into some bland middle-ground take, but in the alternation of critical and understanding takes.

I winced at the detailed exposition of the man's old age flaws and health problems, which I think verged on the unfair. But on the other hand the article portrays McCain's 'betrayal' on habeus corpus in a surprisingly understanding way, providing contexts that makes his decision to let that one go feel understandable. It makes the case that he did what he could halfway persuasively, citing a critical enough authority as the Washington advocacy director for Human Rights Watch.

The quote you provide on McCains take on Iraq is also counterposed with other, more sobre observations:

Quote:

The one, deep flaw that I see in this portrait is one that is shared by many more boiler-plate media "in-depth" portraits of campaigning politicians, which will multiply in the coming year. It's that the portrait is entirely focused on the man's personality, his psyche, his behaviour, his character. What I would like to know more about when it comes to a possible future president of my country, if I were American, is: what are his convictions? Not just in terms of personal moral compass, but on the actual politics of it - what are his ideals? What kind of politics does he stand for, and more interestingly, how has he come to stand for them? What vision of a future America does he have? With what political, ideological values did he grow up, how have they inspired him?

The only two things we learn about those questions here, really, are that a) he is a cultural conservative, but "his heart isnt really in it", and b) he is a patriotic, but morally strict, hawk on foreign policy. In fact, domestic politics is conspicuously absent from the portrait of the man entirely. He is against ethanol subsidies, fine - but there is not the vaguest hint of what America he would like to see grow in the next decade and later, what ideals his domestic policy convictions are guided by, what prospects he feels most passionate about - it seems that its not just cultural conservatism that his heart isnt in, but domestic politics period.

In fact, the total absence of passion or even mention of almost any domestic issue makes one suspect that, when it comes to McCain's moral map of what ideas or missions can be forewent in good conscience to achieve what greater goal, he'd be willing to give the hard right pretty much anything it wants on domestic policy, if he'd get full say on both practical and ethical questions of foreign policy in return. I can easily believe that he's a good guy at heart without feeling anyway comfortable about that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 03:35 pm
nimh, If McCain is a good guy at heart, why did he vote for the torture bill?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 03:37 pm
See the article for one take on that. He did at least save the application of the Geneva Conventions, and he didnt think more could be achieved.

My take: even people who are good guys at heart can do stupid things.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 03:51 pm
nimh, Thanks for your response. What makes his decision to approve the torture bill goes beyond stupid; he himself was a victim with enough experience to know better. I can't conceive of somebody like McCain ever approving any torture bill, and his failure has raised questions about his ability to make the right decisions going forward. Maybe, it's just me.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 05:04 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
his failure has raised questions about his ability to make the right decisions going forward.

Well, of course.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 06:35 am
McCain Flip-Flops On Lobbying Reform, Caves To Pressure From Religious Right

Quote:
In Dec. 2005, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) announced that he was introducing The Lobbying Transparency and Accountability Act of 2005. Section 105 of his bill called for "disclosure of grassroots activities by paid lobbyists." McCain urged the necessity of this provision, stating:

It requires greater disclosure of the activities of lobbyists, including for the first time, grassroots lobbying firms. … Lobbyists distorted the truth, not only with false messages, but also with fake messengers. I hope by having, for the first time, disclosure of grassroots activities and the financial interests behind misleading front groups, that such a fraud on Members and voters can be avoided.

Conservative non-profit groups sprung into action, assembling a coalition to "help bring down" the McCain provision. While grassroots groups on both sides of the political spectrum oppose the proposal, "social conservative leaders such as Dr. James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, who broadcasts a radio program to hundreds of thousands of evangelical Christians, have been its most vehement critics." McCain has been aggressively recruiting Dobson's support.

After months of pushing back against the influence-peddling operations of grassroots lobbyists, McCain has decided to give in. According to The Hill:

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) has told conservative activists that he will vote to strip a key provision on grassroots lobbying from the reform package he previously supported. … Jay Sekulow, chief counsel for the conservative American Center for Law and Justice, told The Hill that he had received confirmation from McCain's staff yesterday that he would oppose the disclosure proposal.

McCain has engaged in a pattern of flip-flopping on lobbying reform. Prior to his most recent reversal, ThinkProgress reported McCain has been soliciting contributions from K Street lobbying firms while talking tough against lobbyists, and he has been trying to scuttle the lobbying reform effort by adding a "poison pill" to the bill.

Links at the source
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 02:29 pm
Davos Notes: John McCain Bites My Head Off
by Arianna Huffington

It was snowing heavily outside in Davos, but things got pretty heated inside a small dining room in the rustic Rinaldi Hotel where, Saturday morning, roughly 20 journalists from around the world had gathered around a rectangular table for an informal, on-the-record discussion with John McCain and Lindsey Graham.

There was talk of Iran, China (blogged here by BusinessWeek's Bruce Nussbaum), a growing trend toward protectionism, and, of course, Iraq.

Toward the end of the conversation, I raised my hand and asked McCain:

"Given that you've said that you are 'scared to death that it's going to be a very hot spring in Afghanistan,' and given that you have also said, repeatedly, that only a substantial increase in troops in Iraq would make a real difference, why not send the 21,000 troops headed to Iraq, in what is clearly an act of desperation, to Afghanistan instead?"

During his response, McCain equated those opposing his position with "the far left."

"Do you consider Sam Brownback part of the far left?" I jumped in.

The Senator flared and told me that if I'd only let him finish his answer instead of interrupting, we could have "a civil discussion."

He then continued on about why he supports the escalation (see his speech to the AIE if you need a refresher). Along the way, he denied that he had used the phrase "the far left."

Wow, I thought, the Straight Talk Express has run so far off the rails McCain is now denying things he'd said in front of close to two-dozen note-taking journalists not half-a-minute before.

I pressed on: "You keep presenting the Iraq debate in terms of left vs right and Democrat vs Republican, when there are clearly major rifts in your own party over the direction we should take. And you yourself have changed your mind about the number of troops we need."

With a growing edge in his voice, McCain explained that he had sat down with General Patraeus. "He looked me in the eye," said McCain, "and told me 'I can do it with 21,000. And if I can't, I'll ask for more.'" McCain went on to say he believes that in a country of 300 million we should be able to have a large enough volunteer army to do whatever we need to do.

"That's all very good in theory," I replied, "but, in practice, where are these additional troops going to come from? And you keep saying that the American people are 'frustrated' about Iraq, which totally minimizes the outrage there is at continuing to be mislead by this administration."

He had clearly had it with me and told me that since what I had just said was a statement and not a question, he didn't have to respond.

He took a couple more questions and got up to leave. Then -- back in touch with the gracious John McCain so many of us fell in love with in 2000 -- he went out of his way to come over to me, shake my hand, and wish me well.

Suddenly, with McCain out of the room, the debate in the room shifted away from Iraq and onto McCain's temper - with the consensus being summed up by Anatol Kaletsky of the London Times: "It appears that his short fuse will become a problem for him during the campaign."

Indeed, if he loses his temper over being called out for marginalizing opposition to Iraq as "far left" (the hoariest of GOP talking points), this is going to be a really long campaign trail for John McCain - offering anyone with a cellphone camera endless opportunities to make their mark on YouTube.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 03:42 pm
McCain hid his hothead from the public, but it will show up during his campaign for the 2008 presidency. There's no way for him to keep it under wraps when so many media people will bring up his contradictions and missteps of legalizing torture of prisoners and his support for Bush's surge when most already know it's only going to get more of our troops killed and maimed.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 06:23 pm
Web video 'exposes' the 'Real McCain'

Ron Brynaert
Published: Monday January 29, 2007

A new project of producer/director Robert Greenwald's Brave New Films production company aims to "expose" the "real McCain."

The nearly three minute long video, which is being distributed by Democracy For America, a grassroots political organization founded by DNC chairman Howard Dean, juxtaposes "conflicting" statements made by Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) on a range of issues, including the war in Iraq, the Confederate flag, the religious right, and gay marriage

Regarding the Iraq War, McCain is shown saying "The success will be fairly easy" and "I believe that we can win an overwhelming victory in a very short period of time." But, moments later, McCain is shown contradicting himself, saying, "I knew it was probably gonna be long and hard and tough and those that voted for it and thought that somehow it was going to some kind of an easy task then I'm sorry they were mistaken. Maybe they didn't know what they were voting for."

The video can be watched below:

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2007/Video_The_Real_McCain_0129.html
0 Replies