McCain 08?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:15 pm
I am running to the mall (God help me) and when I return I expect there will probably be a concise and detailed list. Between two military experts like LSM and McGentrix this should be an easy task. I look forward to seeing it. ta ta for now.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:20 pm
Dyslexia needs to delete the Vietnam vets from his list because according to Kerry, they virtually all committed atrocities there.

And of course there isn't any bias in who is chosen to be listed in the list, is there?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:23 pm
The glaring discrepancies shouldn't need pointed out.

Where is either Clinton? McCain? Powell? Dean? Obama?

Military experience is not a requirement for holding any political office. That anyone would devote themselves to a life in politics is sacrifice enough and more then proves their worth in serving their country. That goes for both parties.

It's nothing but a sad attempt to try to smear political opponents and score some imaginary point showing that some in politics have military experience while others don't. Dys' list is nothing but a copied and pasted short list that proves nothing.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:31 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
McGentrix and Madam, I see Dyslexias list as a challenge to your side...

Dyslexia has thrown down the Guantlet by saying that the Military service of prominent Democrats is far superior to to the Military service of prominent Republicans.

Rather than whine about how the facts Dyslexia are "biased", you could show how Dyslexias facts are biased by presenting the counter examples. If there are equivalent examples of Republican Military service than another list would be easy to construct.

Dyslexia did omit the distinguished service of Senator McCain... but many question whether he is a real Republican so this is understandable.

But the ball is in your court. Dyslexia has listed the factual service record of a great number of prominent Democrats. I honestly would love to know if there is a matching number of prominent Republicans and it is up to someone on your side to show if this is the case.

So, as the saying goes...

Put up or shut up!

In the words of brown....I don't have to
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:36 pm
Here is a link for vets in the House. Looks like a mix of Democrats and Republicans. I haven't added them up. There should be info. on the Senate somewhere.

http://grunt.space.swri.edu/housevet.htm
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:45 pm
okie wrote:
Here is a link for vets in the House. Looks like a mix of Democrats and Republicans. I haven't added them up. There should be info. on the Senate somewhere.

46 R
42 D
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 01:31 pm
okie wrote:
Dyslexia needs to delete the Vietnam vets from his list because according to Kerry, they virtually all committed atrocities there.

And of course there isn't any bias in who is chosen to be listed in the list, is there?

Of course my list shows extreme bias and is, essentially, stupid. That was intentional. On the other hand everything on my posted list is factual ergo in comparison to Okie's
"and of course the Democrats have few military heros at the top of their party at this point"
demonstrates unusal rational clairty against Okie's attitude presented as some form of reasoned meaningful clarity.

As far as the "Vietnam vets" issue, to the best of my knowledge there are a number of a2k posters who served in Vietnam quite honorably with about equal numbers from both sides of the political spectrum. That was again another Okie bullshit attitude totally sans meaningful value. Okie you're a bogus non-thinking poster who needs to engage brain before triping on these boards.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 01:45 pm
nimh wrote:
Right now, some appear to have invested their loyalty in Gingrich or the ultra-religious Brownback. But neither seems to have much chance of winning the primaries. More realistic souls have therefore shifted their attention to Mitt Romney. But he does have an assertively pro-gay rights record in his political past. So, the question appears to still be open.

Not to mention he's Mormon. There are a lot of conservative Christians out there who do not see Mormons as Christian.

Here's an article on Romney and South Carolina.
http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061217/NEWS/612170311/1051/NEWS01

As for gay marriage he's putting a condition on it.

Quote:
Romney Says He's Against Gay 'Marriage'

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20061214/24069.htm
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 01:51 pm
okie wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
46 R
42 D

Very good, very good. I love it when people actually start looking up the facts.

OK, so here we are with an actual sample fact: in the House, 46 veterans on the Republican side and 42 veterans on the Democratic side.

Now what was Okie's originally assertion?

Okie wrote:
"of course the Democrats have few military heros at the top of their party at this point" <-- "the meaning intended here is anyone that served honorably in our armed forces to defend this country."

-------------

McGentrix wrote:
It's a cute, but generally pointless list Dys has found on the internet. Is it suppose to signify anything more then some kind of idiotic bias?

Well, it serves to show something that directly relates to the actual discussion at hand: Okie's claim that the Democrats have few prominents who served honorably in your armed forces to defend your country. It shows the claim is the kind of bull that requires one to 'forget' the military service in wartime of Webb, Rangel, Murtha, Kerry, Inouye, Hollings, Boswell, Thompson, and others.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 01:55 pm
Yup, this turkey is going to run.

Quote:
In an apparent pitch to the crucial evangelical base of the Republican Party, Governor Mitt Romney says he has been ''at the forefront" of the nation's toughest cultural battles and that his values are ''on the same page" with the Christian right.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/03/17/in_interview_romney_aligns_with_christian_right/
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 01:58 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
What is a hero? That word is tossed around pretty loose & fast, I'd like someone to explain what a hero is.

OK, here´s my take. I personally believe that anyone who survived their war service in the jungle of Vietnam or the battlefields of WW2 and was not driven to Abu G.-type misdeeds is a hero. But by ways of more objective measurement, I look at the medals and honors that were awarded to these military men and women for their acts of bravery.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 01:59 pm
nimh, That you would expect the likes of okie and McG to provide factual arguments is not their fault - IMHO. It's a matter of "how often" they fail to argue the truth, and make statements without evidence. However, I treasure your ability to support your statements with evidence even when they challenge me.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:01 pm
(verb) my (noun) C.I.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:02 pm
dyslexia wrote:
okie wrote:

Of course my list shows extreme bias and is, essentially, stupid. That was intentional. On the other hand everything on my posted list is factual ergo in comparison to Okie's
"and of course the Democrats have few military heros at the top of their party at this point"
demonstrates unusal rational clairty against Okie's attitude presented as some form of reasoned meaningful clarity.

As far as the "Vietnam vets" issue, to the best of my knowledge there are a number of a2k posters who served in Vietnam quite honorably with about equal numbers from both sides of the political spectrum. That was again another Okie bullshit attitude totally sans meaningful value. Okie you're a bogus non-thinking poster who needs to engage brain before triping on these boards.

Dyslexia , please name the military heros at the top of the Democratic Pary? Does your list include John Kerry, Al Gore, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, John Edwards, Nancy Pelosi, Howard Dean, Harry Reid, Barrack Obama? I'm talking about the people that are running your party and have recently or are vying for president, dyslexia. My point was that the Democrats know better than to try to smear McCain's military service when this issue is not exactly their strong point. I stand by that.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:08 pm
Xingu, there's an interesting background piece on the hurdles Romney faces in his attempt at catering to the religious right at TNR now - dont know if its free: Social conservatives rain on Mitt Romney's parade.

The title is a little misleading, as the article actually concludes that even despite all the obvious obstacles, and the militant efforts of some to warn conservatives around the country about them, Romney might actually well stand a good chance of being embraced by the religious conservatives after all - simply because there's noone else:

Quote:
The inside-the-Beltway reaction to the details of Romney's record suggests the answer could be yes. Most Washington conservatives have either ignored the report or put a positive spin on it. "I think that this Romney then-vs.-now memo [that's] circulating now, is a bit of a gift to his campaign," a blogger at National Review cheerily wrote, arguing that it's better for such information to appear early in the process. What Massachusetts conservatives like Camenker see as Romney's four years of deal-making and capitulation to the left, Romney has successfully sold to national conservatives as four years of muscular confrontation with the out-of-control liberal government he inherited. The pitch has gone down easy with conservatives because they need an anti-McCain. [..] "We're getting a lot of negative reaction from Republicans," notes Camenker, who says he's been surprised at the hostility. "'Why are you doing this? Why are you attacking Romney? He's better than Giuliani and McCain.'"

For all his success in bringing Romney's pro-gay, pro-abortion record before the most influential conservatives in the United States, when I press him, Camenker admits that it might not matter. [H]e accepts that his natural allies might willfully ignore Romney's liberal tendencies. "I've always accused liberals of going with their emotions, not thinking things through, and generally being stupid and having a very shallow way of looking at the issues," he tells me at the end of our conversation, sounding disappointed. "I'm finding the same thing on our side."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:12 pm
okie wrote:
Dyslexia , [..] Does your list include John Kerry, Al Gore, [..] Harry Reid [..]?

It did.

It´s good form to at least read the posts you respond to, you know.

okie wrote:
My point was that the Democrats know better than to try to smear McCain's military service when this issue is not exactly their strong point. I stand by that.

Well, what you actually said was that the Democrats have few people who served honorably in your armed forces to defend your country at the top of their party at this point.

You stand by that, too? Fewer than the Republicans?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:25 pm
I'm reminded of my cat who, when he takes a **** in the litter box, does his best to cover it up.
Need more fresh litter Okie?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:28 pm
nimh wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
What is a hero? That word is tossed around pretty loose & fast, I'd like someone to explain what a hero is.

OK, here´s my take. I personally believe that anyone who survived their war service in the jungle of Vietnam or the battlefields of WW2 and was not driven to Abu G.-type misdeeds is a hero. But by ways of more objective measurement, I look at the medals and honors that were awarded to these military men and women for their acts of bravery.

Those medals & honors were given out very sparingly during WWII, not until Vietnam were medals handed out without extensive proof that they were earned. That is so unfair to those that have/did earn them. There's very few GIs that don't have a story about a bogus medal/honor being given to some undeserving fake. I would never venture to guess who did or did not earn them, but the ones that were there know, the ones that received them under false pretenses also know.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:47 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
nimh wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

Those medals & honors were given out very sparingly during WWII, not until Vietnam were medals handed out without extensive proof that they were earned. That is so unfair to those that have/did earn them. There's very few GIs that don't have a story about a bogus medal/honor being given to some undeserving fake. I would never venture to guess who did or did not earn them, but the ones that were there know, the ones that received them under false pretenses also know.

I don't personally know of anyone who received medals during Vietnam that were bogus but i do know that officers handed them out to each other like candy. So what? Everyone that served, in one way or another, deserved them.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:56 pm
dyslexia wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
nimh wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

I don't personally know of anyone who received medals during Vietnam that were bogus but i do know that officers handed them out to each other like candy. So what? Everyone that served, in one way or another, deserved them.

I disagree that everyone that served deserves certain medals, they all got the Vietnam Service Medal, but I'm talking about PH, MOH, etc, etc.
I knew of officers that did that & it's disgusting.
0 Replies