dyslexia

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:58 pm
whatever.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:18 pm
nimh wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
What is a hero? That word is tossed around pretty loose & fast, I'd like someone to explain what a hero is.

OK, here´s my take. I personally believe that anyone who survived their war service in the jungle of Vietnam or the battlefields of WW2 and was not driven to Abu G.-type misdeeds is a hero. But by ways of more objective measurement, I look at the medals and honors that were awarded to these military men and women for their acts of bravery.
Those are solid hero credentials and a fine measuring stick for the bravest among them. My definition is far more inclusive: Any and all persons who have sworn the oath of enlistment and/or the oath of allegiance, and served honorably, is by definition a Hero. Every person who's done this has forfeited a substantial portion of their civil rights and put their collective neck on the line in the service of this country. IMO, no combat experience is necessary for them to be owed a debt of gratitude... and a hero's recognition is what they deserve. Kerry and McCain have more than earned my respect. They had me at, "So help me God".

That's not to say I'm a fan of Kerry's post-service activity, but don't deny him the respect he richly deserves for his service to his country.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:32 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
nimh wrote:
OK, here´s my take. I personally believe that anyone who survived their war service in the jungle of Vietnam or the battlefields of WW2 and was not driven to Abu G.-type misdeeds is a hero. But by ways of more objective measurement, I look at the medals and honors that were awarded to these military men and women for their acts of bravery.

Those medals & honors were given out very sparingly during WWII, not until Vietnam were medals handed out without extensive proof that they were earned. That is so unfair to those that have/did earn them. There's very few GIs that don't have a story about a bogus medal/honor being given to some undeserving fake. I would never venture to guess who did or did not earn them, but the ones that were there know, the ones that received them under false pretenses also know.

What an odd discussion this is.

Here I am, the leftist, defending the record of Vietnam veterans and the worthiness of each of our respect -- and there you are, the red-blooded conservative, belittling the importance and meaning of the medals they got.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:38 pm
Lonestar isn't required to make sense, she's only posting opinion (derived from fortune cookies I assume, along with newsmax and fox news.) She's not expected to be rational.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:43 pm
nimh wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
nimh wrote:

Those medals & honors were given out very sparingly during WWII, not until Vietnam were medals handed out without extensive proof that they were earned. That is so unfair to those that have/did earn them. There's very few GIs that don't have a story about a bogus medal/honor being given to some undeserving fake. I would never venture to guess who did or did not earn them, but the ones that were there know, the ones that received them under false pretenses also know.

What an odd discussion this is.

Here I am, the leftist, defending the record of Vietnam veterans and the worthiness of each of our respect -- and there you are, the red-blooded conservative, belittling the importance and meaning of the medals they got.

You either did not read what I've posted about those medals or you didn't comprehend, either way, before you spout your wrong assumption of what i said, read it it again., then if necessary, I'll try to explain it to you.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:44 pm
dyslexia wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
nimh wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
What is a hero? That word is tossed around pretty loose & fast, I'd like someone to explain what a hero is.

I don't personally know of anyone who received medals during Vietnam that were bogus but i do know that officers handed them out to each other like candy. So what? Everyone that served, in one way or another, deserved them.

This is another take on those medals nimh, did you understand this one?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:49 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
You either did not read what I've posted about those medals or you didn't comprehend, either way

Well, I'm the one who's saying that anyone who survived war in Vietnam without going over to the dark side totally is a hero in his own right, period -- and you're the one saying that hell, even Vietnam veterans who got medals shouldnt be assumed to be heroes, because you know, their medals could be bogus, etc.

Like I said, politics sure turned odd on this score.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:52 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Everyone that served, in one way or another, deserved them.

full stop.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:52 pm
nimh wrote:
Xingu, there's an interesting background piece on the hurdles Romney faces in his attempt at catering to the religious right at TNR now - dont know if its free: Social conservatives rain on Mitt Romney's parade.

There´s another interesting article on TNR about Romney too, in fact - looking at the issue of the religious conservatives´dilemma these primaries more broadly - I´ve posted it on the McCain,Giuliani & the Republicans thread.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:54 pm
dyslexia wrote:
whatever.

Ya know, I just got it, I was thinking about the officers were handing them out to each other like candy, that was a little dig at my husband. I think it's sick & twisted to bring posters family members onto a thread for the purpose of insulting the poster. But, I have come to expect nothing more of you. You have gone too far, you know nothing of my husband, you are nothing & don't exist as far as I'm concerned.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 04:42 pm
nimh wrote:
okie wrote:
Dyslexia , [..] Does your list include John Kerry, Al Gore, [..] Harry Reid [..]?

It did.

It´s good form to at least read the posts you respond to, you know.

okie wrote:
My point was that the Democrats know better than to try to smear McCain's military service when this issue is not exactly their strong point. I stand by that.

Well, what you actually said was that the Democrats have few people who served honorably in your armed forces to defend your country at the top of their party at this point.

You stand by that, too? Fewer than the Republicans?

I stand by that. The key to my statement was "top of their party." There are many Democrats that have served honorably, as there are Republicans, but I don't think such Democrats are leading the party at the present time. Clinton and Kerry come to mind, as I think they were instrumental in ruining the party's reputation in terms of how the party supports the military.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 05:35 pm
The only times most dems claim the military is when they need them.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:21 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
whatever.

Ya know, I just got it, I was thinking about the officers were handing them out to each other like candy, that was a little dig at my husband. I think it's sick & twisted to bring posters family members onto a thread for the purpose of insulting the poster. But, I have come to expect nothing more of you. You have gone too far, you know nothing of my husband, you are nothing & don't exist as far as I'm concerned.

absolute and total bullshit; if you have a a husband it's news to me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:44 pm
now that I think about it, if you have a husband who was an officer in Vietnam and he received any medals it was probably bogus and he is/was a fake.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:38 am
Looks like McCain and the JCS don't agree. McCain wants to send an additional 30,000 troops to Iraq and the JCS says it will make things worse.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/18/AR2006121801477_pf.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:42 am
McCain continues to shoot himself in the foot by being a hawk with no follow-up solution. He's damaging his own chance by supporting Bush on the Iraq war. I thought he was much smarter.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:45 am
Even Powell advocated a huge contingency of troops at the onset. That's how Desert Storm was won is such short order. Overwhelming forces, IMO, would be the way to go, with air power. It's been said here on more than one occasion that we didn't lose one GI in the Balkins war, it's because we used total air power. While I disagreed with that war, it proved that overwhelmimg force works, as it did in WWII.
But then again, I'm not in the loop, I don't know what they know.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 12:38 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
McCain continues to shoot himself in the foot by being a hawk with no follow-up solution. He's damaging his own chance by supporting Bush on the Iraq war. I thought he was much smarter.

As soon as & if he finds out that his position isn't popular, he'll change his mind.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 12:46 pm
So LoneStar, your husband got a medal for wearing a moose knuckle in his flight suit? Pretty exicting I guess.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 01:22 pm
How would anybody know that my husband wore a flight suit yet claim to not have known that i had a husband or that he was military?
Lying will always catch up with a person, tell the truth & there's no worries of getting caught.
0 Replies