Carter Refuses to Debate Dershowitz

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 04:01 pm
Re: Carter Refuses to Debate Dershowitz
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Egypt is Israels homeland the same way that the US is blacks homeland.

LoneStarMadam wrote:
Okay....and? What does that have to do with Israel & palestinians?

precisely
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:25 pm
ehBeth wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

LoneStarMadam wrote:

precisely

Meaning that Egypt was/is not their homeland.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:37 pm
Dartagnan wrote:
If you go by the Old Testament, the Israelites arrived where they are now after a long series of divinely ordained events. It's on that basis that the current claim is made...

Yeah, and if anyone ever bothered to read the book of KINGS you'd see that Israelites got themselves beat up, beat down and thrown out of the Promised Land. Old Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon comes in and crushs all of Judah, Israel is destroyed and it's king ends up a lapdog, a pet of
the Babylonians. The kingdom is lost.

From Wikipedia
Quote:
The story of the Babylonian captivity (2 Kings 24:13-16 and 25:8-21) - After Jehoiachim's surrender, Nebuchadnezzar deports everyone of any worth to Babylon, including the army, the people of Jerusalem, nobles, and craftsmen, as well as the treasures of Jerusalem. Once Zedekiah's later rebellion is suppressed, Nebudchadnezzar sends Nebuzaradan to Jerusalem, where he burns down the temple, palace, houses, and walls, and deports the treasures of the temple, and the population (excepting some of the poor), to Babylon. The two highest priests of the temple, a scribe, a courtiers, five personal servants to Zedekiah, and 60 people remaining in Jerusalem, are taken to Nebudchadnezzar and killed.
The story of Gedaliah (2 Kings 25:22-26) - The few people remaining in Judah are put under the command of Gedaliah, who promises the commanders of the army of Judah that they will not be harmed as long as they remain loyal to Babylon. However, one of the commanders, of royal descent, conspires against Gedaliah, and has him killed, but the people are so afraid of what Nebuchadnezzar's reaction might be, that almost the entire population of Judah flee to Egypt.

Joe(well, well, said Pharaoh, look who's back)Nation
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:56 pm
Hanukkah Harry Says

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/hanukkahharry2.jpg

Stop all this fighting!!!!! Oy to the world!!!

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:21 pm
ehBeth wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

LoneStarMadam wrote:

precisely

So. This means the USA is giving control back to the Indians?

Will there be a fence?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:01 pm
dlowan wrote:

Will there be a fence?

And Austalia to the Aboriginies.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:34 pm
georgeob, That's a good un. LOL
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:42 pm
dlowan wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

LoneStarMadam wrote:

precisely

Will there be a fence?

No, the Mexicans.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:54 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Will there be a fence?

And Austalia to the Aboriginies.

Of course.

And Canada to the Indians.

But I amn't the one supporting the jewish claim to Israel.

The logic is the same.

By the same token, I don't think there is any sense in trying to deny the existence of Israel, now it is done, and refuse to negotiate a reasonable peace.
0 Replies

LittleBitty

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:12 pm
I haven't yet read this book, but would be interested in Carter's perspective. I'm not a big Dershowitz fan, so Carter's refusal to debate him doesn't really change my opinion of this former president.

Carter doesn't just build houses; all of his books have been very successful.

Has anyone here had the opportunity to read this book?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:19 pm
FreeDuck is reading it now. I've got it on order at the neighborhood library and will be reading it when I'm next in line. I can't afford to buy hardback books at the moment. If it comes out in paperback before I get a chance at the hardback, I may buy it if the price is reasonable.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:22 pm
Oddly, I've never read a book by a current or former politician. Except Churchill, of course.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:22 pm
I haven't read his book, but then I haven't read any other books that are anti-Israel either.
I'm not a fan of Dershowitzs' either, he's too full of himself, & too liberal, IMO, however, if carter is sure of himself & his attack on Israel with this book, I don't understand why he won't debate him. Maybe Carter could change some minds if he defends or debates his book, not stealing Ross' maps though, he can't defend that.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:32 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
II'm not a fan of Dershowitzs' either, he's too full of himself, & too liberal, IMO, however, if carter is sure of himself & his attack on Israel with this book, I don't understand why he won't debate him,

Why should he? It's a free country and Carter can write anything he wants. You, me and Alan Dershowitz are all free to read it or not. as we wish.

Who appointed Dershowitz as the nation's book critic? Carter is a former President, and he negotiated the one positive step Israel and her neighbors have taken towards peace. Dershowitz is a self-promoter and a loudmouthed pipsqueak with no particular qualifications on the subject apart from his own beliefs.
0 Replies

LittleBitty

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 01:06 am
I knew Dershowitz had debated this topic before, but I was unaware of the number of books he had written. I wonder how many relate to this topic?

From the Chomsky Info debates website:

Quote:
Born in Brooklyn, Professor Alan Dershowitz graduated from Brooklyn College and Yale Law School. At Yale he graduated first in his class and served as editor-in-chief of the Yale Law Review. After clerking for Chief Judge David Freslin (sp?) and Justice Arthur Goldberg, he was appointed to the Harvard Law faculty at age 25 (there wasn't even time for you to join a mid-career program here at the school) and he became a full professor at 28, the youngest in the school's history. When not teaching students he found time to be one of the country's most accomplished defense lawyers and authored over 20 books. His latest, The Case for Peace: How the Arab-Israeli Conflict Can Be Solved, has received favorable reviews from former President Bill Clinton and Middle East negotiator Dennis Ross. At Harvard Law School, where he is the Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law, Professor Dershowitz teaches courses in criminal law; constitutional litigation; civil liberties; and violence, legal ethics and human rights.
0 Replies

LittleBitty

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 01:08 am
Butrflynet wrote:
FreeDuck is reading it now. I've got it on order at the neighborhood library and will be reading it when I'm next in line. I can't afford to buy hardback books at the moment. If it comes out in paperback before I get a chance at the hardback, I may buy it if the price is reasonable.

Let me know what you think of it if you wouldn't mind.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 02:48 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
I haven't read his book, but then I haven't read any other books that are anti-Israel either.

Really?

I am prostrate with surprise.

Fox News does not like it?

Oh well then, it is clearly nonsense.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 02:58 am
LittleBitty wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:

Let me know what you think of it if you wouldn't mind.

Will you be reading it also? It would be great to have a discussion of the book with those reading it. We'll revive the A2K bookclub.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 05:04 am
Quote:
Will you be reading it also? It would be great to have a discussion of the book with those reading it. We'll revive the A2K bookclub.
emphasis mine.

I be interested in that. I'd also like to know the title of the last Pro-Israel book that anyone's read. Anyone? Maybe Dershowitz's? LSM? Anyone?

Let us turn to Chapter One

Joe(What a good name for a book club.)Nation
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 09:43 am
georgeob1 wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
II'm not a fan of Dershowitzs' either, he's too full of himself, & too liberal, IMO, however, if carter is sure of himself & his attack on Israel with this book, I don't understand why he won't debate him,

Why should he? It's a free country and Carter can write anything he wants. You, me and Alan Dershowitz are all free to read it or not. as we wish.

Who appointed Dershowitz as the nation's book critic? Carter is a former President, and he negotiated the one positive step Israel and her neighbors have taken towards peace. Dershowitz is a self-promoter and a loudmouthed pipsqueak with no particular qualifications on the subject apart from his own beliefs.

he can't write lies nor can he plagerize, unless it's a book of fiction.
0 Replies