stupid is as stupid does

parados

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:12 am
Ticomaya wrote:

If that's what Murtha was trying to point out, one would have thought he would have added "in Iraq" to sentence #3. But he didn't. And since he didn't, it is reasonable to conclude he instead meant what he did say.

I guess we need to bear in mind that Murtha can't help it if your narrow, linear thought process renders you incapable of following along with the logical flow of the discussion.

Sorry Tico, you can't have it both ways.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:42 am
parados wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

If that's what Murtha was trying to point out, one would have thought he would have added "in Iraq" to sentence #3. But he didn't. And since he didn't, it is reasonable to conclude he instead meant what he did say.

I guess we need to bear in mind that Murtha can't help it if your narrow, linear thought process renders you incapable of following along with the logical flow of the discussion.

Sorry Tico, you can't have it both ways.

Instead of posting an ambiguous and vague reference to something I've said in a different thread, why don't you try and enunciate your rationale into a coherent argument? Your thought process here is quite mangled, and while I'm fairly sure I know the idea you've got bouncing around in your brain, I'd like for you to try and spell it out so I can take it apart for the benefit of anyone interested. Are you up to the challenge?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:17 pm
Quote:

The problem referenced in the question he was responding to was the problem of radical Islamic terrorism and Iraq being the center of it, and the following apply:
That presupposes that Iraq is the center of the war on terrorism and Murtha accepts it as such. Lets look at the section with some highlighted sections that point to a theme.
Quote:

You have got to remember, Margaret, there was no terrorist activity in Iraq at all before we went in there. There's been an increase. The State Department said there's been an increase in terrorist activity in the last couple of years, before they stopped putting the report out.

MARGARET WARNER: Okay. But the president does say, as you know, that for whatever reason Iraq --

John MurthaREP. JOHN MURTHA: But the president said a lot of things, and they turned out not to be true. The president said there are weapons of mass destruction. The president said oil would pay for it. The president cut taxes at a time when we're in a war.

MARGARET WARNER: So do you reject -

REP. JOHN MURTHA: Just because he says it doesn't make it so. The American people don't believe this president.

MARGARET WARNER: But may I ask you, sir, if you believe -- he says -- for whatever reason, Iraq has become the center of terrorism - that if the U.S. appears to retreat in the face of that, that it will be a blow to the American fight against radical Islamic terrorism? What do you say to that?

REP. JOHN MURTHA: Well, I say that the fight against Americans began with Abu Ghraib. It began with the invasion of Iraq. That's when terrorism started. It didn't start when there was criticism of this administration. This administration doesn't want to listen to any ideas.

This is an idea of how we can save lives, of how we can be on the periphery of Iraq and send troops back in, in case there is an increase in terrorism that we need to go back in.

There are 2 ways to read the question that Murtha was just asked.
Do you believe that Iraq has become the center for the war on terror?
Do you believe if we leave Iraq it will be a blow to the war on terror.

Warner starts to ask the question 3 times only finishing it on the third attempt. There is a clue to the question based on what Murtha has just said about Bush's credibility in interrupting the question the first and second times. Now lets look at the question again.
But may I ask you, sir, if you believe -- he says -- for whatever reason, Iraq has become the center of terrorism - that if the U.S. appears to retreat in the face of that, that it will be a blow to the American fight against radical Islamic terrorism?
Murtha has made it clear he doesn't trust the President or his statements. The only way to accept your reading of the question is that Murtha does trust the President in that Iraq is the center of the war on terorrism and he trusts the President on the idea that leaving Iraq is a blow to the war on terror.

Quote:
(A) If Murtha responded to that question by saying this is a problem -- radical Islamic terrorism -- that was created by the US invading Iraq, then he is stupid.
He didn't say that. You can only ignore the context of what had been said previously to think that. He said the terrorism in Iraq didn't start until the US invaded it right before this question was asked.

Quote:
(B) If Murtha is criticizing the fact that the center of the fight against radical Islamic terrorism is in Iraq, then he is stupid.
You start with the supposition that Murtha accepts that Iraq is the center of the fight. We don't know that. We only have the President's word on it. A word that Murtha has said he doesn't trust.
Quote:
Would he prefer the fight be on the streets of America?
Nice try Tico. But there is no evidence that if the US had not invaded Iraq that the terrorists would have come to the US. An appeal to emotion seems to be your only argument on this one. I think Murtha is saying that Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism until we invaded but that in no way leads to his preference to fight them here. You are building a strawman. The choice was not one of invade Iraq or have terrorists on the streets of the US. Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism until the US invaded it.

Quote:
(C) If Murtha is blaming the US for the use of terrorism by radical Islamics, then he is stupid. Terrorism is a technique used by radical Islam for many years prior to the invasion of Iraq, and it will be used by radical Islamics for many years after the US leaves Iraq.
Murtha is doing no such thing. Only if you read it out of context does can it be forced to try to mean that. The question is specifically about Iraq and leaving Iraq. It is not about radical terrorism in general.
Quote:

In any case he's stupid, and what he said was stupid.
Your arguments are pretty weak there Tico. See if you can find something to argue that doesn't ignore the context.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:26 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
read the dubya quote again...

I know about the Higher Father, I read that. I won't debate that with you or anybody, but He too is still alive.

do you know for a fact that eleanor roosevelt is not alive and well in the afterlife ?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 01:44 pm
parados wrote:
Tico wrote:

The problem referenced in the question he was responding to was the problem of radical Islamic terrorism and Iraq being the center of it, and the following apply:
That presupposes that Iraq is the center of the war on terrorism and Murtha accepts it as such. ...

No, it does not presuppose that. The question presented was:
    "[i]MARGARET WARNER: But may I ask you, sir, if you believe -- he says -- for whatever reason, Iraq has become the center of terrorism - that if the U.S. appears to retreat in the face of that, that it will be a blow to the American fight against radical Islamic terrorism? What do you say to that?"[/i]
The question presented presupposes nothing, but clearly sets up the question with reference to what Bush has said. It does not follow that in order to answer the question Murtha must agree with the President. But the question certainly did pertain to the problem of Iraq being the center of radical Islamic terrorism -- which I correctly pointed out. It makes absolutely no sense for you to claim that presupposes acceptance by Murtha of that fact. Clearly, Warner does not assume agreement on the part of Murtha, and is simply asking him to respond by giving his thoughts on the matter.

Quote:
Lets look at the section with some highlighted sections that point to a theme.
Quote:
You have got to remember, Margaret, there was no terrorist activity in Iraq at all before we went in there. There's been an increase. The State Department said there's been an increase in terrorist activity in the last couple of years, before they stopped putting the report out.

MARGARET WARNER: Okay. But the president does say, as you know, that for whatever reason Iraq --

John MurthaREP. JOHN MURTHA: But the president said a lot of things, and they turned out not to be true. The president said there are weapons of mass destruction. The president said oil would pay for it. The president cut taxes at a time when we're in a war.

REP. JOHN MURTHA: Just because he says it doesn't make it so. The American people don't believe this president.

MARGARET WARNER: But may I ask you, sir, if you believe -- he says -- for whatever reason, Iraq has become the center of terrorism - that if the U.S. appears to retreat in the face of that, that it will be a blow to the American fight against radical Islamic terrorism? What do you say to that?

REP. JOHN MURTHA: Well, I say that the fight against Americans began with Abu Ghraib. It began with the invasion of Iraq. That's when terrorism started. It didn't start when there was criticism of this administration. This administration doesn't want to listen to any ideas.

This is an idea of how we can save lives, of how we can be on the periphery of Iraq and send troops back in, in case there is an increase in terrorism that we need to go back in.

There are 2 ways to read the question that Murtha was just asked.
Do you believe that Iraq has become the center for the war on terror?
Do you believe if we leave Iraq it will be a blow to the war on terror.

Warner starts to ask the question 3 times only finishing it on the third attempt. There is a clue to the question based on what Murtha has just said about Bush's credibility in interrupting the question the first and second times. Now lets look at the question again.
But may I ask you, sir, if you believe -- he says -- for whatever reason, Iraq has become the center of terrorism - that if the U.S. appears to retreat in the face of that, that it will be a blow to the American fight against radical Islamic terrorism?
Murtha has made it clear he doesn't trust the President or his statements. The only way to accept your reading of the question is that Murtha does trust the President in that Iraq is the center of the war on terorrism and he trusts the President on the idea that leaving Iraq is a blow to the war on terror.

What on earth do you think "my reading of the question" is? Why are you struggling to analyze what you believe is "my reading" of it to decide whether it can be "accepted"? The question is what it is, and I've not tried to alter it one iota. Honestly trying to follow your analysis is painful.

Parados wrote:
Tico wrote:
(A) If Murtha responded to that question by saying this is a problem -- radical Islamic terrorism -- that was created by the US invading Iraq, then he is stupid.
He didn't say that. You can only ignore the context of what had been said previously to think that. He said the terrorism in Iraq didn't start until the US invaded it right before this question was asked.

He certainly did not say that terrorism "in Iraq" started when the US invaded Iraq. That's what you think he meant.

The direct question being asked of him -- by Warner, not by Tico -- was to respond to whether Iraq had become the center of radical Islamic terrorism, and whether retreat would be a blow to that fight. You -- and others in this thread who are insistent that what Murtha said was not stupid -- are necessarily arguing that his responding to that question by pointing out his belief that "terrorism started" with the US invasion of Iraq and Abu Ghraib (*a classic "blame America first" tactic so beloved by leftists), is limited to Iraq .... in other words, you are saying that his response was, in fact, completely nonresponsive to the question being asked.

Parados wrote:
Tico wrote:
(B) If Murtha is criticizing the fact that the center of the fight against radical Islamic terrorism is in Iraq, then he is stupid.
You start with the supposition that Murtha accepts that Iraq is the center of the fight. We don't know that. We only have the President's word on it. A word that Murtha has said he doesn't trust.

Well you start with an erroneous statement of supposition, so you're wrong ab initio.

Parados wrote:
Tico wrote:
Would he prefer the fight be on the streets of America?
Nice try Tico. But there is no evidence that if the US had not invaded Iraq that the terrorists would have come to the US. An appeal to emotion seems to be your only argument on this one. I think Murtha is saying that Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism until we invaded but that in no way leads to his preference to fight them here. You are building a strawman. The choice was not one of invade Iraq or have terrorists on the streets of the US. Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism until the US invaded it.

Appeal to emotion is hardly my only argument. The fact is, Murtha was unresponsive to the issue about whether Iraq is -- "for whatever reason" -- the center of radical Islamic terrorism.

And your statement of what you think Murtha intended to say "presupposes" that you know what Murtha intended to say. <--- This is an example of your logic. Yes, I know it makes little sense.

Parados wrote:
Tico wrote:
(C) If Murtha is blaming the US for the use of terrorism by radical Islamics, then he is stupid. Terrorism is a technique used by radical Islam for many years prior to the invasion of Iraq, and it will be used by radical Islamics for many years after the US leaves Iraq.
Murtha is doing no such thing. Only if you read it out of context does can it be forced to try to mean that. The question is specifically about Iraq and leaving Iraq. It is not about radical terrorism in general.

Really? kelticwizard indicated he believes Murtha was pointing out that the terrorism in Iraq was a problem of our own making -- that was the question I was responding to ... remember? So, perhaps you need to check with kelticwizard to find out what he meant exactly.

Parados wrote:
Tico wrote:
In any case he's stupid, and what he said was stupid.
Your arguments are pretty weak there Tico. See if you can find something to argue that doesn't ignore the context.

As I have said many, many times now ... you Murtha apologists are forced to make amazing and impressive contextual contortions to support your theory that Murtha meant something other than what he said (pretty stupid of him to say something he didn't mean, if you ask me). Beyond that, you are forced to argue that what he said -- if he meant what you believe he meant to say -- even though nonresponsive to the question being asked, is not indicative that what he said was stupid.

And you claim that my argument is pretty weak?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 02:25 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
read the dubya quote again...

I know about the Higher Father, I read that. I won't debate that with you or anybody, but He too is still alive.

do you know for a fact that eleanor roosevelt is not alive and well in the afterlife ?

I suspect she might be, but she ain't talkin
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 02:39 pm
Quote:

Please point out when Murtha stopped talking about Iraq. He didn't in response to the question. The conversation is ongoing. Just because someone asks a question doesn't necessarily change the topic to no longer include Iraq. Murtha includes references to Iraq in his answer that you say is NOT about Iraq. Abu Ghraib is in Iraq. The invasion of Iraq occurred in Iraq. What makes you think "terrorism" does not refer Iraq since EVERY sentence by Murtha before that included Iraq?

This is a transcript, remember? Perhaps the statement should be "It began with the invasion of Iraq, that's when terrorism started." Please point out how such a statement in one sentence doesn't refer to Iraq.

But you see Tico, we are back to what you referred to as a "gotcha" moment on a certain other thread. You feel it is OK to take something completely out of context when it suits your purposes.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 02:53 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Parados wrote:
Tico wrote:

He certainly did not say that terrorism "in Iraq" started when the US invaded Iraq. That's what you think he meant.
Murtha had only talked about Iraq prior to and after that statement.

Perhaps you need to...

bear in mind that I can't help it if your narrow, linear thought process renders you incapable of following along with the logical flow of the discussion.

Murtha had referenced terrorists in Iraq. He had referenced incidents in Iraq. Now your argument is that he was suddenly no longer talking about Iraq for one phrase while the entire rest of the discussion was about Iraq. If someone talks about terrorism in Iraq, Iraq, prisons in Iraq, invasion of Iraq, terrorism, troops in Iraq, logical flow would tend to point to "terrorism" refering to "terrorism in Iraq" which had been referenced just prior.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:07 pm
Quote:
in other words, you are saying that his response was, in fact, completely nonresponsive to the question being asked.

Read the transcript. He interrupted the question twice to point out faults with the premise of Bush being honest. If that is considered "nonresponsive" in your world then it was nonresponsive.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:24 pm
parados wrote:
Quote:

Please point out when Murtha stopped talking about Iraq. He didn't in response to the question. The conversation is ongoing. Just because someone asks a question doesn't necessarily change the topic to no longer include Iraq. Murtha includes references to Iraq in his answer that you say is NOT about Iraq. Abu Ghraib is in Iraq. The invasion of Iraq occurred in Iraq. What makes you think "terrorism" does not refer Iraq since EVERY sentence by Murtha before that included Iraq?

This is a transcript, remember? Perhaps the statement should be "It began with the invasion of Iraq, that's when terrorism started." Please point out how such a statement in one sentence doesn't refer to Iraq.
  • I never said Murtha stopped talking about Iraq ---> the entire conversation was about Iraq.
  • I never said Murtha's answer did not reference Iraq ---> Murtha very clearly said terrorism started when the US invaded Iraq (and Abu Ghraib).
Parados wrote:
But you see Tico, we are back to what you referred to as a "gotcha" moment on a certain other thread. You feel it is OK to take something completely out of context when it suits your purposes.

The "gotcha" is a favorite tactic of yours. I've noticed it with me, but perhaps you include others in your field of targets. It's akin to a sucker punch. Happily, you suck at it.

I don't even know to what you are referring above. You're all over the place. One needs a road map to figure out where you're coming from. Please help me (and anyone else trying to follow along with this tedious discussion) and answer this specifically:

When or where do you think I have stated I feel it is OK to take something completely out of context when it suits my purposes?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:28 pm
For clarity lets post the entire answer by Murtha

Quote:

The Iraqis have to control this themselves. They're proud people. They've got to realize this election -- and I'm saying this before the election because I believe the Iraqis have to -- when they elect somebody, they've got to unify that country, and we have got to ask for international help to work through the problem. I think terrorism would stop. I think it would be the opposite. We're the enemy. We're reason they're -- we're the ones they're attacking for heaven's sake. We're the only thing that could unify the Iraqis.

Please explain "I think terrorism would stop" using the same logic you used for terrorism starting Tico. Keep in mind the flow of the conversation. Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:38 pm
I'm waiting for you to answer my question.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:47 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Nor did he say "terrorism in Iraq would stop" in the same answer. Yet I can't think of any reasonable person that would argue he meant removing the troops from Iraq would stop all terrorism.

"In Iraq" is hardly required for the statements to be understood in context. Your snotty response of "That's what you think he meant" is nothing but an attempt to obfuscate something that in context is quite obvious. You are taking his statement out of context as if the "in Iraq" can't be understood by anyone with a simple HS education. It is an attempt on your part to sow doubt in what is actually easy to understand when the entire context is shown.

Since you are arguing you didn't take "that's when terrorism started" out of context please explain the meaning of "terrorism would stop" in your viewpoint. Does it deal only with Iraq or with all terrorism?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 06:00 pm
Quote:
When or where do you think I have stated I feel it is OK to take something completely out of context when it suits my purposes?

Quote:

He didn't say "terrorism in Iraq started," and I've no idea whether or not that's what he meant.

He SAID terrorism started with Abu Ghraib and the invasion of Iraq. This is not a discussion over what someone might have meant by what they said, which could be entirely different from what they actually said. This is a discussion about what he said, and what he said was stupid. I think it's quite obvious that what he said was stupid. It was stupid for him to say it, whether he meant it the way you believe he did, or not. You, apparently, do not think it was stupid for him to say what he said, even though you believe what he said is not what he meant. That's what we're quibbling over.

Do you really have no idea what he meant Tico? We have been down the context argument and you have said he was talking about Iraq yet you are more than happy to take the statement out of context and play your little games.

This is a discussion about what someone said that is stupid. You have managed to make this topic all about Ticomaya and his statements. The fun part is we don't need to change the thread topic.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:59 am
WH: bin Laden Capture "A Success That Hasn't Occured Yet"

Quote:
Five years after the Sept. 11 attacks, Osama bin Laden is still at large -- but that's not a failure of White House policy, says Frances Fragos Townsend. As she explained to CNN's White House correspondent Ed Henry last night:

HENRY: You know, going back to September 2001, the president said, dead or alive, we're going to get him. Still don't have him. I know you are saying there's successes on the war on terror, and there have been. That's a failure.
TOWNSEND: Well, I'm not sure -- it's a success that hasn't occurred yet. I don't know that I view that as a failure.
0 Replies