stupid is as stupid does

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:44 am
McGentrix wrote:
It amazes me that you guys can follow all the convolutions of what Murtha meant to say, yet are completely oblivious to anything Bush might say.

Isn't it amazing?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 11:50 am
Mame,
In response to this from Tico
Ticomaya wrote:
Mame wrote:
It's pretty obvious that Murtha's saying that terrorist activity in Iraq started when the US invaded Iraq.

That might be what he meant, but that's not what he said. Thus, wouldn't you agree that if he said something that conveyed a completely different meaning than what he intended -- specifically that terrorism started with Abu Ghraib and the invasion of Iraq -- that was a stupid thing to say?

Are any of you reasonable people willing to admit that it was a stupid thing to say?

you should have followed Tico's lead and said this
Quote:

Bear in mind that I can't help it if your narrow, linear thought process renders you incapable of following along with the logical flow of the discussion.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2433438#2433438
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 12:53 pm
Good one - I hope I remember where to find it next time Smile
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 01:11 pm
Mame wrote:

Can you tell me what's "good" about it?

Please don't encourage him, Mame. He's liable to start thinking he's making sense.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 01:47 pm
A good laugh doesn't have to make sense. It's just a good laugh.

You have provided quite the chuckle, Tico. It's good to see how well you have managed to stay on topic on this thread. :wink:
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 01:47 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It amazes me that you guys can follow all the convolutions of what Murtha meant to say, yet are completely oblivious to anything Bush might say.

and it is amazing that some people are oblivious to anything bush does or doesn't do.

as to what bush says, it's hard to know just what the guy even means since he quite often speaks in a halting dialect of the jibberish language.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 01:50 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Mame wrote:
Thank you, Kelticwizard, for letting me know I'm not on another planet. That's what I was trying to get across.

No, you're not on another planet, Mame. You're just on the wrong side of this one.

Razz

no, no, no, tico.. you're thinking of china. and what really is amazing is that they don't fall off. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 01:52 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Mame wrote:

Please don't encourage him, Mame. He's liable to start thinking he's making sense.

Actually, I was referring to your sentence - you have quite a way with words. I was admiring it Smile
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 02:11 pm
Mame wrote:

Now if someone can show Tico hopw to find it. Smile
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 02:20 pm
"I talk to Eleanor Roosevelt"
Hillary Clinton Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 02:28 pm
Mame wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Mame wrote:

Actually, I was referring to your sentence - you have quite a way with words. I was admiring it Smile

Aw ... shucks. Embarrassed
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 02:32 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Hillary Clinton Laughing

Quote:

soooo, why is one funny and the other is not? based on previous discussions, i cannot envision you laughing at the bush quote. am i wrong?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 03:29 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Hillary Clinton Laughing

Quote:

soooo, why is one funny and the other is not? based on previous discussions, i cannot envision you laughing at the bush quote. am i wrong?

I have no idea, wanna tell me?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 03:30 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Hillary Clinton Laughing

Quote:

I have no idea, wanna tell me? Actually, this is the first time I've seen that quote. However, since Bush I is still alive....
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:29 pm
read the dubya quote again...
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:48 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
read the dubya quote again...

I know about the Higher Father, I read that. I won't debate that with you or anybody, but He too is still alive.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 01:52 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Oh, you mean Murtha meant to say that there wasn't any terrorism being used against Americans in Iraq before they actually invaded Iraq and became physically present in the country? Such sublime analysis ...

Nevermind then ... Murtha's clearly a genius. Rolling Eyes <---- Added in case anyone couldn't gather from the context that I was being sarcastic.

Before the American invasion, there was no terrorism by Iraqis against Americans in Iraq, or outside Iraq for that matter. Iraqis were not setting off car bombs in Iraq, or outside Iraq. There were no Iraqis blowing themselves and others up in Iraq, or outside Iraq. In short, whatever terrorism there is presently in Iraq started with the American invasion. However much Iraq might be a center of terrorism, it became so because we went in there. This is what Murtha pointed out, and it is certainly appropriate to a question involving Iraq as a center of terrorism.

kelticwizard wrote:
]Your Revised Quote #2, as well as LoneStarMadam's, makes it seem that Murtha was trying to claim that terrorism was unknown before the Americans took over Abu Ghraib. That is a big difference.

Ticomaya wrote:
Perhaps, but that's what he communicated.

No, that is NOT what he communicated with his quote. That is why the websites LoneStarMadam went to garbled the quote, condensing three sentences into one and calling it a "quote". If Murtha's actual words communicated that terrorism was unknown before the US took over Abu Ghraib, the rightwingers would not be purposely garbling Murtha's quote the way they are.

Ticomaya wrote:
Excuse me? "Plain as day"? You have struggled to argue the nuance of his intent based on subtle contextual clues, and you claim his communication was "plain as day"?

"Subtle contextual clues"? It was a three sentence quote, "terrorism" was in the third sentence, and the first two sentences made it clear he was referring to violence against Americans.

It is clear that Murtha is talking about Iraqi violence against Americans in sentence number one and sentence number two, and you are trying to pretend that it is a wild flight of fancy to assume he was still talking about it in sentence number three. Sorry, Tico, you have to try better than that.

Ticomaya wrote:
The question posed to Murtha that he was responding to was: "[Bush says], Iraq has become the center of terrorism - that if the U.S. appears to retreat in the face of that, that it will be a blow to the American fight against radical Islamic terrorism? What do you say to that?"

His response was to say there wasn't any terrorism before the US invaded Iraq. He might just be a poor communicator, but his response seems to ignore 9/11.

First, neither the Iraq government nor any of the Iraqi factions had anything to do with 911.

Second, that was not all there was to Murtha's response, but let's put that aside. Since when is it out of place, when talking about a problem, to point out that the problem is of our own making?

Were there terrorists running around Iraq, blowing things up when we invaded? No. The terrorism was a tactic the Iraqis adopted to try to get us to leave, as well as to carry on a fight with rival Iraqi factions. Before we invaded there were no car bombs, no strap-on suicide bombs, no terrorism in Iraq. After we invaded, we got car bombs, strap-on suicide bombs, terrorism in Iraq. In a discussion of terrorism in Iraq, is Murtha supposed to leave that fact out?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 07:42 am
I wish I could get a milkshake that thick.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 08:12 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 09:29 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Oh, you mean Murtha meant to say that there wasn't any terrorism being used against Americans in Iraq before they actually invaded Iraq and became physically present in the country? Such sublime analysis ...

Nevermind then ... Murtha's clearly a genius. Rolling Eyes <---- Added in case anyone couldn't gather from the context that I was being sarcastic.

Before the American invasion, there was no terrorism by Iraqis against Americans in Iraq, or outside Iraq for that matter. Iraqis were not setting off car bombs in Iraq, or outside Iraq. There were no Iraqis blowing themselves and others up in Iraq, or outside Iraq. In short, whatever terrorism there is presently in Iraq started with the American invasion. However much Iraq might be a center of terrorism, it became so because we went in there. This is what Murtha pointed out, and it is certainly appropriate to a question involving Iraq as a center of terrorism.

If that's what Murtha was trying to point out, one would have thought he would have added "in Iraq" to sentence #3. But he didn't. And since he didn't, it is reasonable to conclude he instead meant what he did say.

Quote:
kelticwizard wrote:
]Your Revised Quote #2, as well as LoneStarMadam's, makes it seem that Murtha was trying to claim that terrorism was unknown before the Americans took over Abu Ghraib. That is a big difference.

Ticomaya wrote:
Perhaps, but that's what he communicated.

No, that is NOT what he communicated with his quote. That is why the websites LoneStarMadam went to garbled the quote, condensing three sentences into one and calling it a "quote". If Murtha's actual words communicated that terrorism was unknown before the US took over Abu Ghraib, the rightwingers would not be purposely garbling Murtha's quote the way they are.

I didn't garble any quote. You refer to 3 sentences, and those are the sentences I quoted. As I said, the quote LSM provided is functionally the equivalent of what Murtha said in the 3 sentences, and you cannot reach a different conclusion based solely on the 3 sentences I quoted, unless you are willing to resort to clairvoyancy or guesstimation.

Quote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Excuse me? "Plain as day"? You have struggled to argue the nuance of his intent based on subtle contextual clues, and you claim his communication was "plain as day"?

"Subtle contextual clues"? It was a three sentence quote, "terrorism" was in the third sentence, and the first two sentences made it clear he was referring to violence against Americans.

It is clear that Murtha is talking about Iraqi violence against Americans in sentence number one and sentence number two, and you are trying to pretend that it is a wild flight of fancy to assume he was still talking about it in sentence number three. Sorry, Tico, you have to try better than that.

Actually, it's you that needs to do better. Here is Murtha's 3 sentence quote:
    [b]"[i]Well, I say that the fight against Americans began with Abu Ghraib. It began with the invasion of Iraq. That's when terrorism started[/i]. ..."[/b]
It is indeed a 3 sentence quote. Indeed sentences #1 and #2 talk about violence against Americans, but I am in no way suggesting he is not talking about Americans in sentence #3. I believe he IS talking about Americans in sentence #3. What he says in sentence #3, the plain meaning of the words -- and you cannot, I repeat, cannot validly reach a different conclusion based solely upon the 3 sentences -- is that terrorism against Americans started with the invasion of Iraq and Abu Ghraib. And the point being made here, the point you are unwilling to concede, is that for him to make that statement is the height of stupidity. That's why this quote has come back to bite him in the ass.

Please explain how you can conclude Murtha was limiting sentence #3 to only terrorism in Iraq based solely upon those 3 sentences.

Quote:
Ticomaya wrote:
The question posed to Murtha that he was responding to was: "[Bush says], Iraq has become the center of terrorism - that if the U.S. appears to retreat in the face of that, that it will be a blow to the American fight against radical Islamic terrorism? What do you say to that?"

His response was to say there wasn't any terrorism before the US invaded Iraq. He might just be a poor communicator, but his response seems to ignore 9/11.

First, neither the Iraq government nor any of the Iraqi factions had anything to do with 911.

What does that have to do with what I said? 9/11 is but one example of terrorism against American prior to the invasion of Iraq. For him to respond to a question about Iraq being the center of terrorism, and whether a retreat from Iraq would be a blow to the global fight against radical Islamic terrorism, by saying terrorism started when America invaded Iraq, demonstrates an incredible lack of historical comprehension about terrorism against the US, or an incredible lack of ability to communicate what he means to say.

Quote:
Second, that was not all there was to Murtha's response, but let's put that aside. Since when is it out of place, when talking about a problem, to point out that the problem is of our own making?

The problem referenced in the question he was responding to was the problem of radical Islamic terrorism and Iraq being the center of it, and the following apply:
    (A) If Murtha responded to that question by saying this is a problem -- radical Islamic terrorism -- that was created by the US invading Iraq, then he is stupid. (B) If Murtha is criticizing the fact that the center of the fight against radical Islamic terrorism is in Iraq, then he is stupid. Would he prefer the fight be on the streets of America? (C) If Murtha is blaming the US for the use of terrorism by radical Islamics, then he is stupid. Terrorism is a technique used by radical Islam for many years prior to the invasion of Iraq, and it will be used by radical Islamics for many years after the US leaves Iraq.

In any case he's stupid, and what he said was stupid.
0 Replies