... So help me, Allah.

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 02:20 am
dlowan wrote:
They meet in a terrifying mess of madness and mouth frothing somewhere on the far side of the moon.

crap. there goes the neighborhood.....
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 06:35 am
JTT wrote:
I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been mentioned.

Did not each and everyone of those neocon scoundrels set their hand to the bible and swear to "faithfully" do their duty? These same moral rejects lied their way into an illegal invasion that has killed untold numbers of innocent people, destroyed innocents' property and caused untold suffering for the poor Iraqi people.

Did not each and every one of those charged and/or convicted conservative felons promise the same thing on the same book?

Did not GWB promise the same frickin' thing?

This swearing on the bible ain't worth ****, or all the aforementioned folks ain't worth ****. It's one of the two, maybe both.

F**king scumbags!

Actually, I think they only hold up their right hands rather than swearing on a religious book of any kind.

Right-Wing Radio Host Fabricates Controversy To Attack First Muslim Congressman

Quote:

Like you I haven't read all the way through this, so if this has been mentioned, my apologies.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 08:02 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Allah time joking. Why allah time make the jokes.

Very funny, edgar.

When I first saw Joe's title, I briefly considered a rewrite of the Beach Boys classic. But the idea bored me as quickly as it entered my noggin.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 10:16 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Since the point of having someone take an oath on a bible is to more strongly bind them to that oath by invoking their religion, it makes sense that to bind a muslim to his oath, a koran should be used.

It's a silly argument.

Special note should be made of any instance in which Finn posts something sensible.

Duly noted.

That you take special note of something I post is in some small way gratifying even if your retort is inspid, hackneyed and totally predictable.

But you go guy...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 11:10 pm
This is from a well known Christian source:

In some states, witnesses can simply choose to affirm that they are telling the truth, without a Bible. We wonder, what's wrong with just asking the witness to hold up his hand and pledge that he isn't a fibber?

"I swear on the understanding that you can throw me in jail if I'm lying, that what I'm about to say is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." ... Works for us.

From a cynical standpoint, where is the "hammer" in having a non-Christian witness swear upon a book in which he doesn't believe? How much of a guilt-trip - for that's what swearing on the Bible really is - have we achieved in asking a Muslim witness to make a pledge with his hand upon a book that is meaningless to him?

http://www.hendersondispatch.com/articles/2005/07/13/news/opinion/opin01.txt
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:59 pm
not cynical at all, diane. i could swear on a stack of bibles or torahs or qurans or gitas all day.

since i belong to none of the religions those books represent, it would mean nothing to me.

attesting that i would tell the truth because my conscience dictated that i should would have far more weight for me.

not to mention that perjury carries a pretty hefty penalty, as you mentioned..
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 12:14 am
Don't Tread on Me said:

Quote:
attesting that i would tell the truth because my conscience dictated that i should would have far more weight for me.

What a novel idea. No punishment or threat of hell, just doing it because it is the right thing to do.

You can't possibly be in politics.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 12:18 am
BTW, the "cynical" wasn't from me--I don't think the quote I used was properly delineated. The entire post was a quote--i used it to show that even Christian sites understand the futility of using any document that has no meaning to the person being sworn in.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 01:29 am
Diane wrote:
BTW, the "cynical" wasn't from me--I don't think the quote I used was properly delineated. The entire post was a quote--i used it to show that even Christian sites understand the futility of using any document that has no meaning to the person being sworn in.

that's kinda funny. not as in haha..

today i was listening to pat buchannan talking about a looming civil war in the gop. over tha least year or so i've been thinking that there will be a similar civil war in the american christian culture.

that's be cool by me. it's not christianity that i have a problem with. just the way that a few, very effin' lowd opportunists use it to get what they want.

just like osama and the ayatolyaso in I-ran. :wink:
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 06:12 pm
Damn right it isn't funny. I've watched my intelligent cousin turn into a mindless robot, quoting all the usual lines from the fundamentalist movement. To me, she used to be Christian. I don't know what she is anymore.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 02:06 am
candidone1 wrote:
I'd drop and F-Bomb on it if I were asked to "swear on the bible".
I have no respect for it and find it completely irrational to think that laying my hand on it will give any more truth, meaning or sincerity to my words.

It's a moot point since by your tenor and manner of expression demonstrated, your obvious and complete lack of statesmanship qualities would preclude your ever becoming a member of Congress. That would apply to BOTH chambers of Congress, the House or the Senate. The conjunction "or" means you wouldn't fit in either.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 02:14 am
hingehead wrote:
How odd. It seems to me the separation of church and state was entrenched as a principle at the birth of the Republic - now revisionists make claims about people trying to remove God from American public life, when in actual fact he wasn't there at the birth of the nation and people of these revisionist ilks dragged him kicking and screaming in direct contradiction of the founding fathers intentions.

From the Library of Congress transcript
Quote:

Mr. President

To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem & approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful & zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more & more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state. [Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion, and the Executive authorised only to execute their acts, I have refrained from presenting even occasional performances of devotion presented indeed legally where an Executive is the legal head of a national church, but subject here, as religious exercises only to the voluntary regulations and discipline of each respective sect.] Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.

(signed) Thomas Jefferson
Jan.1.1802.

This eloquent letter of Thomas Jefferson's is just that...an
eloquent letter. It is nothing more than an opinion. Funny that when liberals are attacking God, they always drag this letter out from Thomas Jefferson. There are literally thousands of other citations, both verbal and expressly written from our forefathers and historic celebrities of government that hold a belief in God, as a principle of government, to the highest esteem.

Be that as it may, Jefferson's letter is not part of our constitution, it is not an amendment, it is nothing more than the musings of a figure of history.

It's hilarious how quick the secularists are to proclaim with great enthusiasm that there is nothing in the Constitution requiring that the Holy Bible be used to confirm someone to Congress, yet don't get that Thomas Jefferson's letter is NOT a repudiation of God and does not create a law.

This citation is no more binding on our government or society than Dennis Prager's article.

Your early claim that "separation of church and state was entrenched at the beginning of our republic" only proves that some people will only see what they want to see and ignore the rest. The tradition of taking an oath on a bible has likewise been a tradition that is "entrenched" in American society going back a long way, but since it's a tradition that libbers don't like, they grasp for another one in a secular vein, that they do like.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 03:30 am
Setanta wrote:
For the dull-witted, who might actually be deceived by the witless complaint of the Madame of the Lone Star Whorehouse--an affirmation is not an oath, which is why the text of the Constitution reads: he shall take the following Oath or[/u] Affirmation (emphasis added). I'm going to assume that most readers here understand the use of the conjunction "or," but as the evidence of the Madame's snide attempt at a rejoinder is that i cannot assume that all readers understand it, i'll explain. The person taking office can take an oath, but if the person does not wish to swear, the person can make an affirmation.

Nice personal attacks and disparaging rhetoric, Sentanta. You usually do this just before you go to the Cowardice thread and whine for a half dozen posts that people are attacking you for no reason.

Anyway, as I peruse this thread, the only dimwits that come to mind are the people in Minnesota who voted for this turd, Ellison.

What's worse, is that the words "You don't have a clue what you're talking about" are emblazoned on a 20 kilowatt 80 story neon sign, with an arrow pointing straight at you.

It is you who need the facts of Article IV explained...

Quote:
The Senators and RepresentativesÂ… shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Here's how it works, take note:

On the floor of the House of Representatives, all Congressmen(and women), stand, raise their right hands and together repeat the OATH:

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

Notice that in neither the Article IV language nor the tradition does it call for a bible, Sentanta, no Koran, not even a stack of New York Times editorials (which you would no doubt request if the occasion ever arose).

It is the traditional photo-op after the official swearing in, where the politician stands there with their right hand raised, and left hand on the bible, and where this upstart would be placing his hand on the Koran, for his neat little picture to send back to Minnesota, just so that his district can be proud of him. That is democracy and the American tradition.

No one should really be surprised since this guy said he was a Muslim. Leave it to Minnesota to elect him. Don't worry, Sentanta, we social conservatives will fight and do everything possible to keep this character free to express his beliefs as long as his constituents in Minnesota want him there.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 03:54 am
candidone1 wrote:
No shame should be felt on his end....the retards actually think it's a fair fight, so swing away Set, swing away.

On the contrary, quite a few on this thread who have been pounding away at the notion of "swearing on the bible", or "swearing on the Koran" should feel completely ashamed. They're total goofs as I pointed out in one of my recent posts here somewhere.

None of them had a clue of how it works when Congressmen/women take their oath.

You see, this is what happens when amateurs try to act like they are enlightened mavericks, proving how tough they are when they denounce religion, or Christianity. The attacks are boring, predictable, drab, and unoriginal, not to mention often completely ignorant.

The discourse on this thread is largely not much different from a snotty teenage kid trying to get back at their parents. We all know what that looks like.

Now that I've seen the face of tomfoolery among the pro-Ellison contingent, I have no further time to waste on you. Go in peace.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 06:46 am
He's baaaack!!!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 06:58 am
monte cargo said
Quote:
Funny that when liberals are attacking God,

You'd think the Fellow would be able to take care of Himself. After all, if there is any characteristic that defines Him, it is "big".

We trust, too, in thinking about Him, that He's not the victim sort. Nor, we understand, does He lack self-confidence and certainty. Thus we don't seem to have good cause to worry that we might say something to hurt His feelings. God, as we conceive Him, surely isn't a pouter.

Thus it is a tad confusing when folks get to worrying for God and these "attacks" on Him. You know? Even the sneakiest of sneak attack will be as transparent to Him as any of those falling raindrops He manages.

But maybe it isn't Him you fret for. Maybe your frets are for the flocking side. Maybe you worry a sheep or two or millions will not Hear his plaintive, loving call there on the (metaphoric) bleak mountainside with bad weather moving in. Maybe the flock will die (or perhaps worse, head around the mountain drawn by the sound of a more compelling Shepard) and He'll be just sitting there reflecting on His next move and on what has all just happened. The compassionate among us will empathize here. We all, sometimes, experience that "Well, I wanted X but it looks like X isn't going to happen" and then we go on with "Win some, lose some" or the like.

And if He loses that flock, clearly it will be, in this universe designed by Him, for the best. How could it be otherwise?

It all could be - you have to think out of the box here - just what we ought to give Him, what we owe Him for all He's done for us. Stick with me now, monte.

We cannot, in good conscience and good consciousness, merely lay down in the sunny pasture and baaa lovingly upwards. We cannot, its a moral and a logical matter and He made morals and He made logic, do some wormhole shortcut through this Vale of Soulmaking and deliver ourselves to Him at the fruitful end of His Plan. It would make a mockery of His Plan. Do you see this? We must traverse the travail in full. We must risk turning away from Him. And He will be with us in this great eternal risk. He too must risk our turning away from Him.

Were it not so, we would be effectively putting Him on soul-making welfare.

We must attack Him. There's simply no other way. And he'll understand. He's a free enterpriser.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 01:32 pm
blatham wrote:
monte cargo said
Quote:
Funny that when liberals are attacking God,

You'd think the Fellow would be able to take care of Himself. After all, if there is any characteristic that defines Him, it is "big".

We trust, too, in thinking about Him, that He's not the victim sort. Nor, we understand, does He lack self-confidence and certainty. Thus we don't seem to have good cause to worry that we might say something to hurt His feelings. God, as we conceive Him, surely isn't a pouter.

Thus it is a tad confusing when folks get to worrying for God and these "attacks" on Him. You know? Even the sneakiest of sneak attack will be as transparent to Him as any of those falling raindrops He manages.

But maybe it isn't Him you fret for. Maybe your frets are for the flocking side. Maybe you worry a sheep or two or millions will not Hear his plaintive, loving call there on the (metaphoric) bleak mountainside with bad weather moving in. Maybe the flock will die (or perhaps worse, head around the mountain drawn by the sound of a more compelling Shepard) and He'll be just sitting there reflecting on His next move and on what has all just happened. The compassionate among us will empathize here. We all, sometimes, experience that "Well, I wanted X but it looks like X isn't going to happen" and then we go on with "Win some, lose some" or the like.

And if He loses that flock, clearly it will be, in this universe designed by Him, for the best. How could it be otherwise?

It all could be - you have to think out of the box here - just what we ought to give Him, what we owe Him for all He's done for us. Stick with me now, monte.

We cannot, in good conscience and good consciousness, merely lay down in the sunny pasture and baaa lovingly upwards. We cannot, its a moral and a logical matter and He made morals and He made logic, do some wormhole shortcut through this Vale of Soulmaking and deliver ourselves to Him at the fruitful end of His Plan. It would make a mockery of His Plan. Do you see this? We must traverse the travail in full. We must risk turning away from Him. And He will be with us in this great eternal risk. He too must risk our turning away from Him.

Were it not so, we would be effectively putting Him on soul-making welfare.

We must attack Him. There's simply no other way. And he'll understand. He's a free enterpriser.

I realize I may be taking a great chance with this claim, but I'd have to say that I'm definitely detecting a note of contempt for the Great Godsby, old bean.

After all, you must consider God was big with the soldiers and officers fighting the Revolutionary War. They were hardly sheep. The wrath of several centuries of genocide by the Crusaders (not the funk band, Blatham) is still begrudged by greater Islam. They still haven't forgiven Europe or it's younger nephew, the United States of America.

Only 10-12% of the U.S. population are comprised of atheists, giving the atheists the benefit of the doubt, but this thread that mentions a Muslim draws 90% atheists, some stacking is definitely occurring. And like hating God is a fad among our leftmost, to me it's not different than the gas guzzling sport utility craze or "hip-hop" non-music that features nauseating repetition, mysogny, and words romanticizing prison life. One day all of these things are going to be looked back upon with as much nostalgia as the plague.

Like electricity, most people don't understand how it works but their lives are made much better because of it. Calorie-conscious people may not fully understand the process of photosynthesis but they eat salad anyway. People of faith also derive great benefit, courage and hope from prayer. Contrary to being "sheep", the undertakings of the greatest and riskiest magnitude are the times when most people invoke prayer and God.

Praeger's article may look melodramatic in parts, but the article makes a great point that unless we set some rules, U.S. traditions would be revokable by anyone who challenges them. The next thing you know, someone may remark that they are offended by the site of a church or temple, and demand to have it demolished simply because they are not religious, even if 90% of the neighborhood is. The balance is not railroading this Muslim because we live in a free country, but not allowing Muslims to override our traditions and customs. There is a line to walk.

I give your post an 87 for originality and because it honestly made me laugh, but some points have to be deducted for the obvious point you missed from all of those other Palestinian/Moslem threads we've been tossing messages on...In their countries, you show a different religious book than the Koran in a public place that recognizes only the Koran, or you ridicule God, and you'll get your head cut off in those places. Look what happened to that Danish publishing company that printed that cartoon of Mohammed with a hat that looked like a bomb. All the Pope had to do was repeat someone who spoke several centuries ago that called Islam a violent religion, and there were cries to behead the Pope!

I'm going Dennis Miller on this issue. He said "in response to a question of why he has taken on a much more conservative philosophy since 9-11" and his answer was, "I'm not against gay marriage, and I'll defend to my death against anyone Moslem nation that commits an act of terror to break it up."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 02:26 pm
Monte Cargo wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
I have no respect for it and find it completely irrational to think that laying my hand on it will give any more truth, meaning or sincerity to my words.

It's a moot point since by your tenor and manner of expression demonstrated, your obvious and complete lack of statesmanship qualities would preclude your ever becoming a member of Congress. That would apply to BOTH chambers of Congress, the House or the Senate. The conjunction "or" means you wouldn't fit in either.

the adjective moot is originally a legal term going back to the mid-16th century. It derives from the noun moot, in its sense of a hypothetical case argued as an exercise by law students. Consequently, a moot question is one that is arguable or open to debate. But in the mid-19th century people also began to look at the hypothetical side of moot as its essential meaning, and they started to use the word to mean "of no significance or relevance." Thus, a moot point, however debatable, is one that has no practical value. A number of critics have objected to this use, but 59 percent of the Usage Panel accepts it in the sentence The nominee himself chastised the White House for failing to do more to support him, but his concerns became moot when a number of Republicans announced that they, too, would oppose the nomination. When using moot one should be sure that the context makes clear which sense is meant.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 03:34 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

the adjective moot is originally a legal term going back to the mid-16th century. It derives from the noun moot, in its sense of a hypothetical case argued as an exercise by law students. Consequently, a moot question is one that is arguable or open to debate. But in the mid-19th century people also began to look at the hypothetical side of moot as its essential meaning, and they started to use the word to mean "of no significance or relevance." Thus, a moot point, however debatable, is one that has no practical value. A number of critics have objected to this use, but 59 percent of the Usage Panel accepts it in the sentence The nominee himself chastised the White House for failing to do more to support him, but his concerns became moot when a number of Republicans announced that they, too, would oppose the nomination. When using moot one should be sure that the context makes clear which sense is meant.

Excellent.

You'll have to wait and see over the next several Congressional campaigns to see if candidone1 tosses his hat in the ring, and if he does, then you'll know I was using "moot" in the early vernacular sense. I think you know what meaning I supplied and so does candidone1.

Not enough attention is paid to the origin and meaning of common words used in contemporary English discourse. That was an interesting journey into the etiology and origin of this word. You taught me something. I appreciate that. It is so much more interesting to read that than reading, "The bible...I'd drop an F-Bomb on it if anyone made MEEEEE swear on it."
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 03:37 pm
aye, dys. that just moot be royt...
0 Replies