... So help me, Allah.

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 04:22 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

kind of says it all, doesn't it ? the founding fathers intended for the government, and by extension, the american nation to be of a secular nature. free to worship, or not, as you please with no government involvement whatsoever.

This statement is audaciously ignorant as it is incorrect on its face.

Avail yourself to some selected quotes of our Forefathers. While these all have been quotes pulled out of context, the multitude is sufficient to send you back to school.

Quote:
George Washington "And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion…Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles.." (1)

Noah Webster "No truth is more evident to any mind than that the Christian religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people." (2)

Benjamin Rush "The only foundation for a useful education in a republic is to be laid in religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty, and liberty is the object and life of all republican governments... Without religion, I believe that learning does much mischief to the morals and principles of mankind." (3)

John Adams "…it is Religion and Morality alone, which can establish the Principles upon which Freedom can securely stand." (4)

John Adams We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion..." (6)

Thomas Jefferson "And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever." (7)

Patrick Henry "The great pillars of all government and social life [are] virtue, morality and religion…If we loose these we are conquered indeed." (8)

James Madison "We have staked the whole future of American civilization not on the power of government, far from it. We have staked the future ...upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God. " (9)

John Adams "Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." (10)

Do you still wish to proceed in this debate along the lines that our nation and constitution were designed by our forefathers to be a secular nation?

Be advised I will accept no less instructional a reply than would be expected of the late great Ray Walston (the effigy displayed on your avatar), who would have been sure to supply inarguable claims with impeccable references.

I doubt that we will observe the eloquence of Blatham or Dyslexia in your post.

Furthermore, the entire argument you advance is crap that Keith Ellison should be free to be pictured with left hand over Koran instead of a bible based on your obvious misconception you posess that the United States is a completely Godless and secular nation.

The problem with a lot of posters on this thread is their inability to understand that this nation can be non-secular, without being an autocratic theocracy. The demonization and demonstration of Bush Derangement Syndrome is one indication, as well as many of these posts.

The concept is that Keith Ellison claims such a deeply held belief in the religion of Islam that he is willing to push the entire Islam issue in his Congressional confirmation. That is NOT the same as anyone should be able to bring whatever they like to the confirmation ceremony because they are Godless like the nation is supposed to be.

If that basic concept is not understood, there is no point in further debate.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:01 pm
Monte Cargo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

kind of says it all, doesn't it ? the founding fathers intended for the government, and by extension, the american nation to be of a secular nature. free to worship, or not, as you please with no government involvement whatsoever.

Avail yourself to some selected quotes of our Forefathers. While these all have been quotes pulled out of context, the multitude is sufficient to send you back to school.

Quote:
George Washington "And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion…Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles.." (1)

Furthermore, the entire argument you advance is crap that Keith Ellison should be free to be pictured with left hand over Koran instead of a bible based on your obvious misconception you posess that the United States is a completely Godless and secular nation.

1)
Quote:
"The United States is in no sense founded upon the Christian doctrine." -
-- George Washington

2) and that is the point. period.

if you had bothered to actually pay attention as you "perused" this thread, you would have of course realized that your scholarly instruction to us great unwashed types had already been posted a week ago by the evil setanta.

but perhaps you were too busy stroking your ego, a practice well known to cause blindness.

eloquent enough for ya, doc ?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:04 pm
Monte Cargo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Quote:

1) "The United States is in no sense founded upon the Christian doctrine." -
-- George Washington

if you had bothered to actually pay attention as you "perused" this thread, you would have of course realized that your scholarly instruction to us great unwashed types had already been posted a week ago by the evil setanta.

but perhaps you were too busy stroking your ego, a practice well known to cause blindness.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:56 pm
monte said
Quote:
I realize I may be taking a great chance with this claim, but I'd have to say that I'm definitely detecting a note of contempt for the Great Godsby, old bean.

Your detector is malfunctioning. My contempt (it's the right word) isn't for god but rather is directed towards those who conceive that they have a uniquely correct apprehension of him/her/them/it - christian, muslim, hindu, whirling dervish, zeus follower or satan-buddy.

Now, if you follow that through, understanding that each of these communities and all the others like them make the same arguments about tradition, you'll also get a glimpse of my thoughts on traditions.

The sheep/shepherd metaphor isn't mine, of course. "I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." John 10:11. I merely borrowed it from John, assuming he wouldn't mind. If I was him, I wouldn't and there seems no reason to imagine I'd be more charitable than he.

Which brings us, straight as an arrow, to Irenaeus. I can't imagine what this fellow would think listening to a fire and brimstone Texas preacher. It's easier to imagine it the other way around, because we can read Irenaeus. And if we do read his theodicy...honestly, openly, righteously...we get my last post. With some local color, I admit, but it's him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 06:44 pm
Noah Webster is a "founding father" ? ! ? ! ?

Didn't participate in the Revolution, held no political office, did not participate in the Constitutional convention--hmmm, guess i must have had much too much a restricted view of what constitutes a "founding father."

Of course, if one simply looks at him as a "forefather," then his nonsense has no more authority on the subject of what was intended for the nature of our government than any other yop out there on his soapbox two centuries ago.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 07:01 pm
It is actually quite a simple matter to go online and do some "quote mining" for what the founders thought about religion--and you can get quotes which seem to suggest that the founders were deeply religious men who intended a Christian state, and quotes which suggest that they intended a secular state, with a separation of church and state. To counter the drivel posted above, here are some links which suggest the founders intended a secular state:

Separation of Church and State?--a page at About-dot-com.

"The Founding Fathers on Religion"--a page at the Ayn Rand Institute. Anyone familiar with Miss Rand and her views will know that this is evidence that there are conservatives who do not believe that the United States was founded as a Christian nation.

This page at Early America-dot-com refers to the treaty with the Barbary city-state of Tripoli in which the assertion is made that the United States is not a Christian nation--as well as other quotes from founders.

Quote mining of this type can be very disingenuous. For example, the treaty with Tripoli had an important point to make--if the Barbary states saw war with the United States as holy war against the infidel, then they were free to slaughter prisoners without transgressing against their religious beliefs, and were free to sell survivors into slavery. By denying that the United States were a Christian nation, the government was taking a positive step to protect American citizens. Knowing the context of any statement is very important.

Two things cannot be denied, however. No matter how many times one quotes Jefferson, one is going to have to account for his "wall of separation" statement in the letter to the Danbury Baptists. No matter what one says about a "Christian nation," one runs smack up against the first clause of the first amendment--period.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:05 pm
Monte Cargo wrote:
James Madison "We have staked the whole future of American civilization not on the power of government, far from it. We have staked the future ...upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God. " (9)

If you are going to post quotes you should at least post accurate ones. That one attributed to Madison is a total fabrication made popular by David Barton.

For those unfamiliar with David Barton, his book Americas Godly Heritage which is widely quoted by the religious right, is loaded with inaccuracies and misinformation. For a short critique of his book see this link.

Critique of David Barton's "America's Godly Heritage" by the Baptist Joint Committee on Public Affairs.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:54 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Quote:

-- George Washington

You got the point across.

"1) "The United States is in no sense founded upon the Christian doctrine." -
-- George Washington"

...but that's not quite the same as "The United States was founded as a secular nation". Washington's entire point was about this nation's tolerance to grant its citizens freedom of religion. The Church of England was a form of Christianity by rule, something that the American revolutionaries rebelled against. This is one of the biggest changes from the British form of government that this country has.

We celebrate Christmas as a national holiday in this country, which is one indication that this country recognizes this day of religious celebration.

Washington himself was a deeply religious man who carried a prayer journal.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:59 pm
During the presidential campaign of 1880, the Christian Union made the startling admission that, of the nineteen men who, up to that time, had held the office of President of the United States, not one, with the possible exception of Washington, had ever been a member of a Christian church.

Was Washington a church member? Was he in any sense a Christian? In early life he held a formal adherence to the church of England, serving, for a time, as a vestryman in the parish in which he resided. But this being merely a temporal office did not necessitate his being a communicant, nor even a believer in Christianity. In his maturer age he was connected with no church. Washington, the young Virginia planter, might, perhaps, with some degree of truthfulness, have been called a Christian; Washington, the Soldier, statesman and sage, was not a Christian, but a Deist.

This great man, like most men in public life, was reticent respecting his religious views. This rendered a general knowledge of his real belief impossible, and made it easy for zealous Christians to impose upon the public mind and claim him for their faith. Whatever evidence of his unbelief existed was, as far as possible, suppressed.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 09:02 pm
Setanta wrote:
Noah Webster is a "founding father" ? ! ? ! ?

Didn't participate in the Revolution, held no political office, did not participate in the Constitutional convention--hmmm, guess i must have had much too much a restricted view of what constitutes a "founding father."

Of course, if one simply looks at him as a "forefather," then his nonsense has no more authority on the subject of what was intended for the nature of our government than any other yop out there on his soapbox two centuries ago.

Yes, Webster got scooped up in there along with the rest. Good to know that you're awake, alert, and on the case, Sentanta. There point is that the founding fathers all shared deeply religious beliefs, and were willing to aspire to something yet higher than their personal beliefs when helping draft the first Constitution.

The operating hypothesis was that there is no religious basis for this country. You might be right about Noah Webster not being a founding father, but a description of the U.S.A. as an atheistic nation is nothing more than a wet dream for the A.C.L.U.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 09:22 pm
I'm not at all sure that anyone has ever suggested that the US of A is or was an atheistic nation. Noah Webster founding father? that's a stretch.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 09:31 pm
mesquite wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:

If you are going to post quotes you should at least post accurate ones. That one attributed to Madison is a total fabrication made popular by David Barton.

For those unfamiliar with David Barton, his book Americas Godly Heritage which is widely quoted by the religious right, is loaded with inaccuracies and misinformation. For a short critique of his book see this link.

Critique of David Barton's "America's Godly Heritage" by the Baptist Joint Committee on Public Affairs.

America's Godly Heritage was published in 1990. Sixteen years is a long time to land a credible impeachment if the author of this publication misrepresented or fabricated a quote from James Madison.

At http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2003_04/sum/hr27.htm this quote is attributed to James Madison.

Your's is nothing more than a wildeyed accusation, which is marginalized even further by the hundreds of statements and quotes pulled from the founding fathers. I realize that it is many people's wishful thinking that the U.S. is, will become, or was always a secular nation, but nothing could possible be further from the truth.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 09:44 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I'm not at all sure that anyone has ever suggested that the US of A is or was an atheistic nation. Noah Webster founding father? that's a stretch.

That would be a mistake if someone did make the claim, but posters have claimed that the U.S.A. is a secular nation, which it is not. Whether Noah Webster is a founding father or not a founding father isn't really an important component to the discussion. There are enough examples all around, with democrats cited here also in fair volume, to negate the notion that the U.S. is a secular nation.

Well, here are quotes by notables throughout history:

Quote:
As recently as 1952 Justice William O. Douglas wrote:

"We are a religious people whose institutions presuppose a Supreme Being."

Even liberal Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren, wrote in 1954:

"I believe no one can read the history of our country without realizing that the Good Book and the spirit of the Savior have from the beginning been our guiding geniuses ... Whether we look to the first Charter of Virginia ... or to the Charter of New England ... or to the Charter of Massachusetts Bay ... or to the Fundamental Orders of Connecticut ... the same objective is present ... a Christian land governed by Christian principles. I believe the entire Bill of Rights came into being because of the knowledge our forefathers had of the Bible and their belief in it: freedom of belief, of expression, of assembly, of petition, the dignity of the individual, the sanctity of the home, equal justice under law, and the reservation of powers to the people ... I like to believe we are living today in the spirit of the Christian religion. I like also to believe that as long as we do so, no great harm can come to our country."

George Washington wrote a prayer addressed to "O most glorious God, in Jesus Christ" and ended it like this:

"... Let me live according to those holy rules which Thou hast this day prescribed in Thy holy word ... Direct me to the true object, Jesus Christ the way, the truth and the life. Bless, O Lord, all the people of this land."

Washington also said:

"Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle."

John Adams wrote:

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with passions unbridled by morality and religion."

"Statesmen may plan and speculate for liberty, but it is religion and morality alone, which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand."

Thomas Jefferson, the man "blamed" for the wall of separation between church and state said:

"Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God?"

"No power over the freedom of religion [is] delegated to the United States by the Constitution."

James Madison:

"We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not on the power of government...[but] upon the capacity of each and every one of us to govern ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

John Quincy Adams:

"The greatest glory of the American Revolution was this: It connected in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity."

"No book in the world deserves to be so unceasingly studied, and so profoundly meditated upon as the Bible."

"Is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the Foundation of the Redeemer's mission upon earth? That it laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity?"

Abraham Lincoln:

"Unless the great God who assisted [President Washington], shall be with me and aid me, I must fail. But if the same omniscient mind, and Almighty arm, that directed and protected him, shall guide and support me, I shall not fail ... Let us pray that the God of our fathers may not forsake us now."

Grover Cleveland:

"All must admit that the reception of the teachings of Christ results in the purest patriotism, in the most scrupulous fidelity to public trust, and in the best type of citizenship."

Teddy Roosevelt:

"In this actual world, a churchless community, a community where men have abandoned and scoffed at, or ignored their religious needs, is a community on the rapid down-grade."

Woodrow Wilson:

"America was born a Christian nation. America was born to exemplify that devotion to the elements of righteousness which are derived from the revelations of the Holy Scripture."

Calvin Coolidge, speaking of the founding fathers:

"They were intent upon establishing a Christian commonwealth in accordance with the principle of self-government. They were an inspired body of men. It has been said that God sifted the nations that He might send choice grain into the wilderness ... Who can fail to see it in the hand of Destiny? Who can doubt that it has been guided by a Divine Providence?"

John F. Kennedy:

"The rights of man come not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God."

Gerald Ford, quoted a speech made by Dwight Eisenhower in 1955:

"Without God there could be no American form of government, nor an American way of life. Recognition of the Supreme Being is the first--the most basic--expression of Americanism. Thus, the founding fathers of America saw it, and thus with God's help, it will continue to be."

Additionally, there is some strage reason why people here feel compelled to plead their case that the United States is a secular nation in order to support their position that Keith Ellison should be allowed to swear in, pictured using a Koran instead of the traditional Bible.

That is a complete non-sequiteur.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 09:47 pm
Then why did you bother to make this post?

"a description of the U.S.A. as an atheistic nation is nothing more than a wet dream for the A.C.L.U."
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 10:12 pm
Setanta wrote:
It is actually quite a simple matter to go online and do some "quote mining" for what the founders thought about religion--and you can get quotes which seem to suggest that the founders were deeply religious men who intended a Christian state, and quotes which suggest that they intended a secular state, with a separation of church and state. To counter the drivel posted above, here are some links which suggest the founders intended a secular state:

Separation of Church and State?--a page at About-dot-com.

"The Founding Fathers on Religion"--a page at the Ayn Rand Institute. Anyone familiar with Miss Rand and her views will know that this is evidence that there are conservatives who do not believe that the United States was founded as a Christian nation.

This page at Early America-dot-com refers to the treaty with the Barbary city-state of Tripoli in which the assertion is made that the United States is not a Christian nation--as well as other quotes from founders.

Quote mining of this type can be very disingenuous. For example, the treaty with Tripoli had an important point to make--if the Barbary states saw war with the United States as holy war against the infidel, then they were free to slaughter prisoners without transgressing against their religious beliefs, and were free to sell survivors into slavery. By denying that the United States were a Christian nation, the government was taking a positive step to protect American citizens. Knowing the context of any statement is very important.

Two things cannot be denied, however. No matter how many times one quotes Jefferson, one is going to have to account for his "wall of separation" statement in the letter to the Danbury Baptists. No matter what one says about a "Christian nation," one runs smack up against the first clause of the first amendment--period.

First, the "quote mining" in my earlier post included an acknowledgement that the quotes might be taken out of context, second, I advanced the notion not that the U.S. is a Christian nation, but this it is not a secularist or atheistic nation. I saw little in the links you provided to convince me that many of our founding fathers were not themselves religious. Even the Freemasons held a belief in a Supreme Being.

Additionally, the ceremony where an incoming Congressman/woman has their picture taken with their right hand up and left hand placed on the Holy Bible is an American tradition. It is more the tradition that is being broken than some firm religious passage that established Christianity as a religion.

The nation would be wisest to ignore Ellison and let him swear on his Koran. The more this nation does to signal to the Moslem world that our beef is with dictators, and specific perpetrators than it is with Islam at large, the better off we all will be.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 10:29 pm
Monte Cargo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Quote:

-- George Washington

You got the point across.

"1) "The United States is in no sense founded upon the Christian doctrine." -
-- George Washington"

...but that's not quite the same as "The United States was founded as a secular nation". Washington's entire point was about this nation's tolerance to grant its citizens freedom of religion. The Church of England was a form of Christianity by rule, something that the American revolutionaries rebelled against. This is one of the biggest changes from the British form of government that this country has.

We celebrate Christmas as a national holiday in this country, which is one indication that this country recognizes this day of religious celebration.

Washington himself was a deeply religious man who carried a prayer journal.

if you look around, some place we have examined what we believe prompted the framers to seek a new nation free of religious entanglement in government, i.e., that the two, when combined as "the authority" had led to far too amny of the european's wars and woes.

the answer, it seemed to them, was to create a new kind of nation that allowed each person to worship, or not, as they pleased with no direction from the government.

so on that, we seem to agree.

so we are clear as to what "secular" entails, here is a definition: it seems to be in line with a few others that i reffed;

sec·u·lar (sky-lr)
adj.
1. Worldly rather than spiritual.
2. Not specifically relating to religion or to a religious body: secular music.
3. Relating to or advocating secularism.
4. Not bound by monastic restrictions, especially not belonging to a religious order.
5. Occurring or observed once in an age or century.
6. Lasting from century to century

the lines in bold are the way that most people i know understand the word to be used in this discussion.

and here's one from a thesaurus;

Adj. 1. secular - concerning those not members of the clergy.

so perhaps what is different is the way that you believe people, or at least myself, use the word secular when discussing whether or not the united states was intended to maintain a secular form of government.

set and dys have both made quite good comments in this regard.

i believe that you are mistaken, if only in a semantic way, when you say that "christmas is a national holiday". it is really a religious holiday that is observed by most people in the country. hence, it is a day when little or no work is done (other than putting up with my spoiled neice from san diego) which might give it the appearance of a national holiday.

look, here's the deal, at least for me; i have no problem whatsoever with anyone practicing their religion.

it is when people try to take us back to the bad old days when religion, any religion, is the law of the land. that's not what the united states is about.

if you think that is skewed thinking, consider this; is a country like iran better for the embrace of sharia as the bedrock of all law ? or would the people of that country be better off if iran was a "secular" country with the right to worship as they wished to. or not at all if that's was their desire?
-----

P.S.

set, thanks for the back story on the washington quote. i was in no mood to type all of that. and... i was in a hurry to attend a choir concert at...are ya sittin' down(?).. an episcopal church.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:01 am
dyslexia wrote:
Then why did you bother to make this post?

"a description of the U.S.A. as an atheistic nation is nothing more than a wet dream for the A.C.L.U."

I wrote that when I was still commenting in the rabbit hole.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:56 am
Noting that the United States is a secular nation, and asserting that it were intended to be an "atheistic" nation are two completely different statements. If, as Jefferson wrote in his letter to the Danbury Baptists, the intent were to erect a wall of separation between church and state, then the obvious intention were to create a secular nation. Establishing a secular nation does no prejudice to private religious belief, nor the lack thereof.

However, it is worth noting again that the gentleman in question is not known to have insisted upon a "photo-op" showing him swearing on the Quran--that's, so far as we know to this point, a horseshit story by a flannel-mouthed conservative rabble-rouser eager to keep his dull-witted audience enthralled.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:05 am
Monte Cargo wrote:
I realize that it is many people's wishful thinking that the U.S. is, will become, or was always a secular nation, but nothing could possible be further from the truth.

This written, despite:

Thomas Jefferson, replying to the Danbury (Connecticut) Baptist congregation, January, 1802 wrote:
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state.

Which tells me that nothing could be further from the truth than a contention that this is not a secular nation, especially as it is rendered in a snide and belittling tone. It's impossible to get around the first amendment, and its effect.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:06 am
Monte Cargo wrote:
On the contrary, quite a few on this thread who have been pounding away at the notion of "swearing on the bible", or "swearing on the Koran" should feel completely ashamed. They're total goofs as I pointed out in one of my recent posts here somewhere.

None of them had a clue of how it works when Congressmen/women take their oath.

Actually, the first person in this thread who demonstrated a total lack of clue concerning the swearing-in ceremony was Dennis Praeger.
0 Replies