If there Is A Draft....

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 02:23 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
NATO is involved in the war on terror too & are involved actively in it, does that make it better?

Quote:
NATO is contributing to the fight against terrorism through military operations in Afghanistan, the Balkans and the Mediterranean and by taking steps to protect its populations and territory against terrorist attacks.

The official NATO announcement sounds a bit less ... war mongering then your reply.

& that makes NATO less involved?
0 Replies

Helmut Roole

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:21 am
au1929 wrote:
I have a better idea. The US should start minding it's own damn business and there would be no need for a draft.
Good idea, but I think I've got a better one. How about Americans educate themselves ref. the politicians they put in office... and no, you can't vote for someone just because they can handle a chain saw or because they seem like they'd be a good fit at the family bar-b-q... well, you can, but then you get wars that make no sense, are based on lies and end up being expensive and embarrassing.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 08:59 am
Helmut Roole wrote:
au1929 wrote:
I have a better idea. The US should start minding it's own damn business and there would be no need for a draft.
Good idea, but I think I've got a better one. How about Americans educate themselves ref. the politicians they put in office... and no, you can't vote for someone just because they can handle a chain saw or because they seem like they'd be a good fit at the family bar-b-q... well, you can, but then you get wars that make no sense, are based on lies and end up being expensive and embarrassing.

How would one go about educating themselves on what any politician would do once elected? Do you believe that you can trust one political party over another?
Do you believe that women should be drafted, if the draft is re-instituted?
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 11:44 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Slavery is slavery, whether it is applied to some or all citizens. IMO, conscription is evil and unconscionable.

Is slaveey a paid compensation career?

Certainly. Or have you forgotten that under the U.S. model of chattel slavery, slaves were paid in clothing, food, and shelter?
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 11:51 am
snood wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I don't care if the government gave draftees a million bucks a year. If the person did not join up of his own free will, it is still slavery, or possibly involuntary servitude. I think that you are hung up on the semantics.

I think that comparing the draft to slavery is hysterical hyperbole.

Why not explain why you think that?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 12:28 pm
Mexica wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Slavery is slavery, whether it is applied to some or all citizens. IMO, conscription is evil and unconscionable.

Certainly. Or have you forgotten that under the U.S. model of chattel slavery, slaves were paid in clothing, food, and shelter?

Should women be drafted if there is another draft?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 12:38 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Mexica wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

They not only can but will be. College kids too.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 12:47 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Mexica wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Should women also be forced by the state against their will to kill and die?

Of course not, silly. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 12:53 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Mexica wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

You know something the rest of us don't, cyclo?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 01:42 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Mexica wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

But do you think they should be?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 01:45 pm
Mexica wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Mexica wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Should women also be forced by the state against their will to kill and die?

Of course not, silly. Rolling Eyes

Equality is just that, equality, if men can be forced to die against their will, then why not women? You can thank the feminists for that, they have talked about how they want to be equal to men, ok, now they can be. Fair?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 01:46 pm
Madam is absolutely correct on this one. It is about equality.

As long as these women aren't gay, what's the big deal?
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 01:52 pm
Equality is just that, equality, if men can be forced to die against their will, then why not women?

I can agree with the obvious wisdom of the beginning of your statement: "Equality is just that, equality," but we part company after that.

Just because the government can force group "A" to kill and die doesn't make it moral, for the sake of equality, to force group "B" to kill and die.

As for your rant about feminists, I cannot see any relevant connection to the topic at hand, so no further comment is needed.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 02:10 pm
Mexica wrote:
Equality is just that, equality, if men can be forced to die against their will, then why not women?

I can agree with the obvious wisdom of the beginning of your statement: "Equality is just that, equality," but we part company after that.

Just because the government can force group "A" to kill and die doesn't make it moral, for the sake of equality, to force group "B" to kill and die.

As for your rant about feminists, I cannot see any relevant connection to the topic at hand, so no further comment is needed.

No further comment? yes, there is further comment, you can choose to read it or not, I am giving you a link to read at your leisure. You think my bringing up the feminists is a rant? Remember patricia Ireland? How about Gloria Steineam? (SP?)
http://radio.weblogs.com/0143188/2005/02/24.html
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 02:15 pm
BTW, doesn't make it moral? Since when has the gov't been required to make moral decisions? Is abortion a moral decision? How about taking money from lobbyists, is that moral? We're talking about equality!
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 02:16 pm
You think my bringing up the feminists is a rant?

Yes.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 02:19 pm
Tactic: Wedge Issue
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 02:21 pm
Since when has the gov't been required to make moral decisions?

I didn't write that it government is required to make moral decisions. I wrote equality doesn't trump morality.

Is abortion a moral decision?

Certainly.

How about taking money from lobbyists, is that moral?

Depends.

We're talking about equality!

Yes, among other things, morality being among them.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 02:22 pm
Mexica wrote:
You think my bringing up the feminists is a rant?

Yes.

LOL, you ain't seen rant then.
Could you expound on your yes just a bit? How is it a rant, & why did you say that women should not be forced to kill or die & yet agree with equality? If you're a pacifist, no problem, then you don't believe that women nor men should be forced to join the military? That's different than just not women.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 02:39 pm
Could you expound on your yes just a bit?

Yes.

why did you say that women should not be forced to kill or die & yet agree with equality?

I agreed with equality? In what sense?

It's very elementary: the draft is immoral; forcing anyone to fight is a bad thing, that includes women. Now, that immorality doesn't change just to satisfy your sense of equality or your loath of feminists or Ms.Steinem.

You asked a specific question, and I supplied you with my answer. Now, if you have peripheral questions to the draft and male/female equality, then ask them.
0 Replies