John Edwards for president?

dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:09 pm
Setanta wrote:
Thomas wrote:
My feelings about Edwards are ambivalent. On the one hand, everytime I see him and his trial lawyer smile, I have this strong visceral reaction: "Watch out: vacuum cleaner salesman -- latenight infomercial coming up!" (I know this is totally unfair and subjective. Chief justice John Roberts has a similar trial lawyer body language, but I never have the same reaction to him.) On the other hand, Edwards is talking a lot of sense every time I read him but don't see him. It's almost as if there's an Edwards I read and and an Edwards I watch, and the two have nothing to do with each other.

All of this is pretty weird. I don't really know what to make of John Edwards.

Another famous North Carolina Senator was Sam Ervin, who became famous at the end of his career as chair of the Senate Watergate Committee. Once, many years before, he had stood up to speak, and began by saying: "Now, i'm just an old country lawyer . . . "--at which point, Senator Lyndon Johnson of Texas loudly remarked that whenever he heard someone say that, he got a good grip on his wallet.

If my understanding of LBJ is anywhere near the mark I believe Johnson whould have approached any opposition by grabbing them by the suit lapels lifting them up against the wall and saying "You sob will do what I tell you to."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:14 pm
Although he may have used a little more finesse, that's basically how he passed the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act. The Democrats had 68 seats in the Senate, as well as a majority of the House. The "Dixiecrats" might have opposed civil rights and voting rights--but old LBJ knew where all the bodies were buried. He was one mean summbitch, that's for sure.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:20 pm
Sturgis wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
It's obvious the aim here is disruption and not discussion. adios for now. (To Republicans, that is equivelant of "Good-bye for now."
Of course the same could and can and must be said of the hundreds of threads around here which veer rapidly over towards attacking George W. Bush and all things Republican. Doesn't matter what the topic is, it just heads over there whether it is about economics, the weather or any of a number of other topics. Why is it Edgar that you and your pals can dish it out but can never take it when it is served back to you?

As the saying goes, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

When the aim is to wilfully misconstrue everything a person posts, that is not discussion, it's childish dirt throwing. Say something that makes sense, and we will still deride the Bush bandits, but will at least give you a tad of respect.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:27 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Sturgis wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
It's obvious the aim here is disruption and not discussion. adios for now. (To Republicans, that is equivelant of "Good-bye for now."
Of course the same could and can and must be said of the hundreds of threads around here which veer rapidly over towards attacking George W. Bush and all things Republican. Doesn't matter what the topic is, it just heads over there whether it is about economics, the weather or any of a number of other topics. Why is it Edgar that you and your pals can dish it out but can never take it when it is served back to you?

When the aim is to wilfully misconstrue everything a person posts, that is not discussion, it's childish dirt throwing. Say something that makes sense, and we will still deride the Bush bandits, but will at least give you a tad of respect.

Are you steering us off course? Shocked
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
Although he may have used a little more finesse, that's basically how he passed the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act. The Democrats had 68 seats in the Senate, as well as a majority of the House. The "Dixiecrats" might have opposed civil rights and voting rights--but old LBJ knew where all the bodies were buried. He was one mean summbitch, that's for sure.

One of those Dixicrats was Al Gore Sr.
LBJ was awful, he got started in politics by hook & crook, mostly crook, & remained a crook. He even had the napkins & silverware taken off AF 1 for himself, after they brought LBJ back to Tx when his presidency was over. That's the least of his sham of a presidency.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:31 pm
You, madame, have as much course as a rudderless schooner in a typhoon.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:33 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

LBJ was awful, he got started in politics by hook & crook, mostly crook, & remained a crook. He even had the napkins & silverware taken off AF 1 for himself, after they brought LBJ back to Tx when his presidency was over. That's the least of his sham of a presidency.

AND

LoneStarMadam wrote:
Are you steering us off course? (emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)

Your paranoid delusions about LBJ are hardly more to the point than what you criticized on the part of EB.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:33 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

I am not the topic of this discussion....now carry on.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:45 pm
Setanta wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

AND

LoneStarMadam wrote:
Are you steering us off course? (emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)

Your paranoid delusions about LBJ are hardly more to the point than what you criticized on the part of EB.

MR EB is the one that complained about going off topic here, then he, & you, carry on with exactly what he complained about. Mr EB said "goodbye", but he's still here steering off course. Or am I to understand that only some can go off topic? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:49 pm
I get that you have a boneheaded obsession based on the principle that all Republicans are good and all Democrats are bad. Thomas made a remark about John Edwards, which was à propose of the topic. So i made a comment about North Carolina Senators, and brought up Sam Ervin. To that, Dys responded by a comment about LBJ, to which i responded.

You saw it as an opportunity to ride your hobby horse in here again, and to lay about you, attempting to flail any Democrat. None of which has anything to do with EB.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:50 pm
I tried to steer you back on course, but you prefer to barge around being a disruption to civilized discourse, madame.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:00 pm
Thomas' comment about Edwards being a trial lawyer is interesting. Pappy Bush railed against trial lawyers in their "tasselled loafters." (See his speech accepting the 1992 nomination in Houston, Texas: "After all, my opponent's campaign is being backed by practically every trial lawyer who ever wore a tasselled loafer.) Tasselled loafers ? ! ? ! ? What kind of obsession does that reveal about Pappy?

I can see that Pappy Bush and Georgie boy might not like lawyers. Pappy seemed to find it hard to speak in complete sentences, if a speech-writer hadn't written his lines for him in advance. Georgie seems to have difficulty in speaking coherently at all in un-scripted situations. Maybe the two of them just don't like articulate people. After all, Prescott Bush made his killing in steel during the Great War, and Pappy and Georgie Boy have been living off the proceeds ever since.

In fact, one of the very reasons why i stated that i don't think Edwards would have a good chance to get elected is because he has been a trial lawyer. I have not the least doubt that the Republicans would use that against him.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:04 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Sturgis wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

My words have been twisted and misconstrued here from day one Edgarblythe and now when I come back and place things in front of you, you get in a snit about it. Perhaps you'd like to explain how it is always okay to mock and ridicule all things Republican; but to even let out a whisper of discontent about any part of the Democratic party and you go berserk. Pardon me for not feeling a shred of compassion for you on that one. If it is too much for your weak sensitive liberal bones to handle then take your ball and leave....I ain't about to stop you. Neither will I stop expressing my viewpoints. If they do not meet with your approval, well then that's just too bad. I do not have an agenda against the Democrats as such, and have at times even supported them. On the other side I am not (contrary to what you and others may choose to believe) a huge supporter of the Republican party. However...and here's one for you to remember...I do not like the hypocritical tone which Democrats and their supporters have been taking over the past 30 to 40 years (at least as far back as that, possibly even earlier than that). It is a tone which has steadily become louder and shriller over time until it has reached a level of constant whining and blaming. Yes, the Republicans have failed on many issues, and in many of these matters, the Democrats gave a hand towards those very same failures. No matter how you want to dress it up and parade it around Edgarblythe, the fact is that the Democrats have blown one chance at opportunity after another and each and every time that they do they cry foul and refuse to take responsibility.

You know it's odd, I had always figured you as having better standards...apparently I was wrong.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:04 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Like this one?

You don't like it when others differ with your view & that's fine, more power to you, but when you start complaining about people not staying on topic, you need to do a bit of self analyzing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:23 pm
Sturgis, you have every right to ridicule and mock the left. I have every right to refuse to be the foil when you deliberately seek to troll. Same with madame whatsermonicker.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:17 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
snood wrote:
In texas, the state government is structured so that the Lt Governor has more power. Bush was a figurehead, mostly remembered for presiding over the most death sentences carried out by any state.

That has nothing to do with what you said & what i asked you.
Since Tx is a helluva big state, it isn't hard to imagine that we have had more dp cases. You put the skids on your own argument of Tx governors have no power, only a figurehead. If you know that (& that is true) then how is it Bushs fault that people were executed here? A Tx gov can give a 30 reprive, that's it. Do you know who Bushs Lt Gov was? A democrat.Next.

You are wrong. Lt. Governor Perry is a Republican. ---BBB

James Richard "Rick" Perry (b. March 4, 1950) is a Republican politician and the Governor of Texas. He assumed office in December 2000 when then-Governor George W. Bush resigned to prepare for his inauguration as President of the United States. Gov. Perry was elected to full terms in 2002 and 2006.

As lieutenant governor, 1999-2000

In 1998, Perry ran for lieutenant governor to succeed the retiring Democrat Bob Bullock. Perry polled 1,858,837 votes (50.04 percent) to the 1,790,106 (48.19 percent) cast for Democrat John Sharp of Victoria, who relinquished the comptroller's position after two terms to run for lieutenant governor. Libertarian Anthony Garcia polled another 65,150 votes (1.75 percent).[
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:20 pm
hahha, 'next'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:36 pm
Perry was not a Republican until 1989.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:46 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Perry was not a Republican until 1989.

But madam said a democrat was Bush's Lt. Governor, which is not true. He was and is a Republican when he became the most powerful office holder in Texas. Tons more power that Bush.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 06:51 pm
BBB
As the originator of this thread, I request that the newcomer flamers cease trying to disrupt my thread topic. Please show me the courtesy of behaving yourself. If not, please go to your room!

BBB
0 Replies