John Edwards for president?

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:26 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
That's pretty much it, setanta. The madam just doesn't want to stop long enough to think. Too busy attacking.

Who did i attack? Don't try to change the subject now.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:27 pm
Setanta wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
The Texas governor can vetoe bills and use the bloody pulpit to guide an agenda. He/she is not truly powerless.

Bush as governor delighted in executing prisoners. When a sizeable number of people asked him to halt Carla Fay Tucker's execution, he laughed about it and mocked her before she died.

Well, maybe you could inform snood of all that power that a Tx gov has.
A Tx governor CAN NOT stop a death penalty by any means, he/she can only give a 30 day reprieve.

This is either willful or ignorant deception. The Governor can only commute a death sentence if the Board of Paroles recommends a commutatino, but the Governor can ignore a recommendation for clemency and allow the execution to proceed--which is what is being referred to here.

I said A TEXAS GOVERNORE CAN NOT STOP AN EXECUTION!! Is there something there that you don't understand?

Yes, upon the recommendation of the Board of Pardons and Paroles, the Governor can stop an execution--but he or she doesn't have to commute the sentence of execution. Is there something about that that you don't understand? There's no need to shout, especially when you're wrong.

From the State of Texas:

Constitution of the State of Texas.

. . . and specifically, Artcle 4, Section 11:

BOARD OF PARDONS AND PAROLES; PAROLE LAWS; REPRIEVES, COMMUTATIONS, AND PARDONS; REMISSION OF FINES AND FORFEITURES

Not on his or her own can a Tx gov stop an execution!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:29 pm
That's not what you wrote, which is why what you wrote was wrong. Your rhetorical standards are in the toilet.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:29 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
Is there something about that that you don't understand?

One of those rhetorical questions, eh

Cycloptichorn

being cryptic? Maybe they'll listen to you. Since you lived in Austin for 9 years, you know that a Tx governore can not stop an execution, he/she can only give a 30 day reprieve.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:33 pm
So when the Shrub pursed his lips, and said "Please, don't kill me" in mockery of Miss Tucker's appeal for clemency, you considered that evidence of his qualification for the highest executive office in the nation?

Yeah, that boy's qualified . . . for dog-catcher . . . maybe . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:34 pm
Quoting Setanta: This is either willful or ignorant deception. The Governor can only commute a death sentence if the Board of Paroles recommends a commutatino, but the Governor can ignore a recommendation for clemency and allow the execution to proceed--which is what is being referred to here.

In Carla Faye Tucker's case he could have stopped the execution and instead laughed and mocked her. Don't try to change the subject.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:37 pm
Setanta wrote:
So when the Shrub pursed his lips, and said "Please, don't kill me" in mockery of Miss Tucker's appeal for clemency, you considered that evidence of his qualification for the highest executive office in the nation?

Still a better choice than anyone the Democrats have trotted out in the last 60+ years.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:38 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
Is there something about that that you don't understand?

One of those rhetorical questions, eh

Cycloptichorn

being cryptic? Maybe they'll listen to you. Since you lived in Austin for 9 years, you know that a Tx governore can not stop an execution, he/she can only give a 30 day reprieve.

Once again, that statement is either willfully disingenuous, or ignorantly false. A Texas Governor can stop an execution, if recommended by the Board of Pardons and Paroles. That Governor can also choose to ignore the recommendation of the Board of Pardons and Paroles, and allow an execution to take place despite the recommendation--which is what people here are talking about.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:41 pm
Setanta wrote:

I didn't think that was any worse that billzeebubba hikin it back to Arkansas to oversee the execution of a mentally ill man.
Yep, little Tucker Carlton told that story on Bush, never mind he didn't have a shred of evidence & Tucker was supporting McCain.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:47 pm
So that you can understand this a little more clearly, the Shrub denied more than thirty recommendations for clemency--on more than 30 occasions, with the recommendation of the Board of Pardons and Paroles, Bush could have stopped executions--and he refused to do so.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:50 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I didn't think that was any worse that billzeebubba hikin it back to Arkansas to oversee the execution of a mentally ill man.
Careful...around these parts we aren't allowed to speak poorly of old Bubba Clinton. Didn't ya hear? He's a Saint! (patron saint of cheaters and liars that is)
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:50 pm
Setanta wrote:
So that you can understand this a little more clearly, the Shrub denied more than thirty recommendations for clemency--on more than 30 occasions, with the recommendation of the Board of Pardons and Paroles, Bush could have stopped executions--and he refused to do so.

What can I say othere than, you are just plain wrong.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:51 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

What can I say othere than, you are just plain wrong.

So you deny that the Shrub refused to commute executions when the Board of Pardons and Paroles had recommended them?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:52 pm
Sturgis wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Careful...around these parts we aren't allowed to speak poorly of old Bubba Clinton. Didn't ya hear? He's a Saint! (patron saint of cheaters and liars that is)

Is it against TOS, or just the natives?
Perjurer at that. A felon is their saint? lol
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:55 pm
It's obvious the aim here is disruption and not discussion. adios for now. (To Republicans, that is equivelant of "Good-bye for now."
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:56 pm
My feelings about Edwards are ambivalent. On the one hand, everytime I see him and his trial lawyer smile, I have this strong visceral reaction: "Watch out: vacuum cleaner salesman -- latenight infomercial coming up!" (I know this is totally unfair and subjective. Chief justice John Roberts has a similar trial lawyer body language, but I never have the same reaction to him.) On the other hand, Edwards is talking a lot of sense every time I read him but don't see him. It's almost as if there's an Edwards I read and and an Edwards I watch, and the two have nothing to do with each other.

All of this is pretty weird. I don't really know what to make of John Edwards.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:56 pm
see ya, e.b.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:59 pm
Thomas wrote:
My feelings about Edwards are ambivalent. On the one hand, everytime I see him and his trial lawyer smile, I have this strong visceral reaction: "Watch out: vacuum cleaner salesman -- latenight infomercial coming up!" (I know this is totally unfair and subjective. Chief justice John Roberts has a similar trial lawyer body language, but I never have the same reaction to him.) On the other hand, Edwards is talking a lot of sense every time I read him but don't see him. It's almost as if there's an Edwards I read and and an Edwards I watch, and the two have nothing to do with each other.

All of this is pretty weird. I don't really know what to make of John Edwards.

Another famous North Carolina Senator was Sam Ervin, who became famous at the end of his career as chair of the Senate Watergate Committee. Once, many years before, he had stood up to speak, and began by saying: "Now, i'm just an old country lawyer . . . "--at which point, Senator Lyndon Johnson of Texas loudly remarked that whenever he heard someone say that, he got a good grip on his wallet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:02 pm
By the way, Ervin used that line so often that when Paul Clancy wrote a biography of Ervin in 1974, he entitled it: Just a Country Lawyer: A Biography of Sam Ervin.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:03 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
It's obvious the aim here is disruption and not discussion. adios for now. (To Republicans, that is equivelant of "Good-bye for now."
Of course the same could and can and must be said of the hundreds of threads around here which veer rapidly over towards attacking George W. Bush and all things Republican. Doesn't matter what the topic is, it just heads over there whether it is about economics, the weather or any of a number of other topics. Why is it Edgar that you and your pals can dish it out but can never take it when it is served back to you?

As the saying goes, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
0 Replies