John Edwards for president?

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:25 pm
Everything you want to know about Bill Richardson
Everything you want to know about Bill Richardson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Richardson_(politician)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:32 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
People like Tom Noe (the Shrub's principal fundraiser in Ohio before the roof fell in on him) being linked to Blackwell and the Republican party didn't help

He got 18 years today

Cycloptichorn

WOO HOO ! ! !
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:42 pm
snood wrote:
What experience did George W. Bush have that clearly qualified him to be president?

Governor of a great big ol state. However, I don't think that you believe that Bush is qualified even today, right?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:54 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
snood wrote:
What experience did George W. Bush have that clearly qualified him to be president?

Governor of a great big ol state. However, I don't think that you believe that Bush is qualified even today, right?

absolutely right.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:56 pm
For the record, i did not at any time claim that Governors can be reasonably considered to be better qualified--i just pointed out that, historically, they win more presidential elections than senators.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:57 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
snood wrote:

Perhaps you don't remember him running our economy into the ground, but I do...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:59 pm
In texas, the state government is structured so that the Lt Governor has more power. Bush was a figurehead, mostly remembered for presiding over the most death sentences carried out by any state.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:17 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
snood wrote:

Perhaps you don't remember him running our economy into the ground, but I do...

Cycloptichorn

The economy of Tx? Or the US? Which, BTW, neither happend, Tx is booming & has been for a long time, the US economy is great.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:20 pm
snood wrote:
In texas, the state government is structured so that the Lt Governor has more power. Bush was a figurehead, mostly remembered for presiding over the most death sentences carried out by any state.

That has nothing to do with what you said & what i asked you.
Since Tx is a helluva big state, it isn't hard to imagine that we have had more dp cases. You put the skids on your own argument of Tx governors have no power, only a figurehead. If you know that (& that is true) then how is it Bushs fault that people were executed here? A Tx gov can give a 30 reprive, that's it.
Next.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:22 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
snood wrote:

That has nothing to do with what you said & what i asked you.
Since Tx is a helluva big state, it isn't hard to imagine that we have had more dp cases. You put the skids on your own argument of Tx governors have no power, only a figurehead. If you know that (& that is true) then how is it Bushs fault that people were executed here? A Tx gov can give a 30 reprive, that's it. Do you know who Bushs Lt Gov was? A democrat.
Next.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:35 pm
The Texas governor can vetoe bills and use the bloody pulpit to guide an agenda. He/she is not truly powerless.

Bush as governor delighted in executing prisoners. When a sizeable number of people asked him to halt Carla Fay Tucker's execution, he laughed about it and mocked her before she died.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:36 pm
My point is that Obama and Edwards are AT LEAST as qualified as Bush ever was.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 01:57 pm
For me, Bush never was and never will be qualified.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:08 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
The Texas governor can vetoe bills and use the bloody pulpit to guide an agenda. He/she is not truly powerless.

Bush as governor delighted in executing prisoners. When a sizeable number of people asked him to halt Carla Fay Tucker's execution, he laughed about it and mocked her before she died.

Well, maybe you could inform snood of all that power that a Tx gov has.
A Tx governor CAN NOT stop a death penalty by any means, he/she can only give a 30 day reprieve.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:09 pm
snood wrote:
My point is that Obama and Edwards are AT LEAST as qualified as Bush ever was.

Then why didn't you just say that? Why makes Edwards or Barak any more qualified?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:12 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

A Tx governor CAN NOT stop a death penalty by any means, he/she can only give a 30 day reprieve.

This is either willful or ignorant deception. The Governor can only commute a death sentence if the Board of Paroles recommends a commutatino, but the Governor can ignore a recommendation for clemency and allow the execution to proceed--which is what is being referred to here.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:13 pm
Setanta wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

This is either willful or ignorant deception. The Governor can only commute a death sentence if the Board of Paroles recommends a commutatino, but the Governor can ignore a recommendation for clemency and allow the execution to proceed--which is what is being referred to here.

I said A TEXAS GOVERNORE CAN NOT STOP AN EXECUTION!! Is there something there that you don't understand?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:14 pm
That's pretty much it, setanta. The madam just doesn't want to stop long enough to think. Too busy attacking.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:21 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

I said A TEXAS GOVERNORE CAN NOT STOP AN EXECUTION!! Is there something there that you don't understand?

Yes, upon the recommendation of the Board of Pardons and Paroles, the Governor can stop an execution--but he or she doesn't have to commute the sentence of execution. Is there something about that that you don't understand? There's no need to shout, especially when you're wrong.

From the State of Texas:

Constitution of the State of Texas.

. . . and specifically, Artcle 4, Section 11:

BOARD OF PARDONS AND PAROLES; PAROLE LAWS; REPRIEVES, COMMUTATIONS, AND PARDONS; REMISSION OF FINES AND FORFEITURES
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 02:23 pm
Quote:
Is there something about that that you don't understand?

One of those rhetorical questions, eh

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies