John Edwards for president?

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:23 am
As I've posted elsewhere, my ideal candidates who can win the presidency in 2008 are:

President - John Edwards
Vice President - Barack Obama

With Hillary Clinton as Senate Majority Leader.

So I find the following interview fascinating.

BBB

AP Interview:
Edwards Says Obama Should Run For President
November 20, 2006

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards isn't yet willing to commit to another run for president, but the 2004 Democratic nominee for vice president said Sunday that Illinois Sen. Barack Obama should get into the race.

"I hope he runs. I think he should run," Edwards told The Associated Press. "This is such an important job that I would urge anybody who can make a serious contribution to the campaign and the dialogue _ either in our party or the other party _ to run."

Obama was still a candidate for Senate in 2004, when he delivered the keynote address at Democratic National Convention that sent Edwards and Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry onto the general election against President Bush.

Should he enter the race, Obama _ along with New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Edwards _ would be among the favorites for the party's nomination. While none of the three have said for certain they are planning to run, Edwards said Sunday that anyone with something to offer should get into the race.

"America ought to have a choice among the best possible people to be president of the United States. And I trust the judgment of the voters."

But Edwards, who sought his party's nomination for the White House in 2004 after a single term in the Senate, said whether Obama _ or any other candidate _ enters the race will have no bearing on his decision to make a second run for president.

"I honestly don't have any timetable," Edwards said. "If you were in my house listening to (wife) Elizabeth and me talk, you'd know I don't have a timetable. Obviously, at some point over the next weeks and months, I have to make that decision."

Edwards has been traveling the country in the past year promoting programs to combat poverty, while also making several trips abroad _ most recently to Uganda.

Edwards said that the freedom to travel and work with others to fight poverty is something he wouldn't have had if still in office in Washington, and it would be hard to give up.

"You'd lose freedom. You'd lose the ability to travel a little less conspicuously," Edward said of becoming president. "But if you're doing it for the right reasons _ to serve _ you create an enormous opportunity for service."

On Sunday, he was in South Carolina to promote a new book he edited on childhood homes, "Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives." While there, he touted his proposals to reform education, promote universal health care and pull troops out of Iraq.

His book tour also has stopped in Iowa, New Hampshire and Nevada _ all key states in the presidential nominating process.

"It gives you a better capacity of understanding what's happening on across America," Edwards said. "Instead of listening to what the Washington crowd has to say, I've been hearing from regular Americans all across the country. It's hard to imagine I would have spent my time in a way that makes me feel better."

Edwards said his youngest children _ 7-year-old Emma Claire and 5-year-old Jack _ have some worries about dad running again. They were able to travel with Edwards and his wife Elizabeth during the last campaign, something he said would be harder now that they are in school.

Elizabeth Edwards has been on the road herself in recent weeks, promoting her own book _ "Saving Graces: Finding Solace and Strength from Friends and Strangers" _ that in part chronicles her recent fight with breast cancer.

"I need to make final decisions about what I think the president needs to be doing starting in 2008, and whether I think I'm well-suited to accomplish that," Edwards said. "And, on a personal level, how my family fits into it."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,584 • Replies: 101
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:43 am
When I saw this, for a second I thought you meant this John Edwards!
http://www.johnedward.net/JohnEdward_Welcome.jpg

I have no idea why...but his face sprung to mind and I thought "Is BBB kidding?" Then I realized, like an ass, you meant the political John Edwards.
Laughing

Thank goodness we have a long weekend coming up.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:52 am
Nah, it's Clark/Obama who you should look out for...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:53 am
Wesley Clark is a mealymouthed ass.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:54 am
Bella
Bella, you're forgiven because we all know how preoccupied you've been with your sick doggie.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:58 am
snood wrote:
Wesley Clark is a mealymouthed ass.

Maybe, but less so than Hillary or Kerry or anyone else the Dems have on the docket. Like Biden, eyarsgh

He is the only Dem with a shot of winning in '08... I don't think Edwards has what it takes (yet) and Obama would make a great VP -> Prez.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:14 am
I would have preferred to have seen Edwards leading the ticket in the last election. I only voted for Kerry because he is not Bush--but i'd have eagerly supported Edwards. Practically speaking, though, i doubt if he can win. But i'd still support him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:18 am
I like Edwards, but, at least here in Texas, he did not project a strong image last campaign. Many voters will not support a candidate who even appears weak.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:30 am
BBB
If I'm reading the voters right, the uniting and healing personalities of Edwards and Obama are just what the voters are craving. They are great on the issues that people care about. The fact that they are smart and informed, and have great wives and children, is a bonus.

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:32 am
Yeah, I agree with edgar. I like a lot of his ideas but was mightily disappointed with his campaign performance in 2004. His debate with Cheney especially (oof), but there were a lot of things.

And now he has 2004 baggage, which is not insignificant. I'd really like to see all-new players. If he ends up being the nominee I'd vote for him and all, and prefer him over Hillary, but Obama is still the only one that I get really excited about.

I much prefer the idea of Obama at the head of the ticket and someone with ample experience in the VP slot than vice versa.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:36 am
Edwards had 1 term in the Senate, Obama has had less than 1 term, together they represent less time than what it takes to become a professional poker player.
John Edwards has been campaigning for longer than he was in public office. Barak has said "I won't run unless I think I can win". not if I think I can do the job.
I'm looking at Mitt Romney as prez, & don't have a clue about the VP, maybe Newt. Or maybe Newt as prez & Romney as VP.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:40 am
What experience did George W. Bush have that clearly qualified him to be president?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:40 am
One problem we are failing to see here is that so many Senators are being proposed as candidates. In the history of Presidential elections, Senators don't do very well--but Governors have traditionally be strong candidates.

Anyone have a favorite Guv?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:03 pm
Good point. Hmm.

I like Bill Richardson a lot.

Strickland's promising but brand-spanking new. Probably too new to make a go in 2008, but who knows. Seems like it'd mean something that he won in Ohio, bellwether state that it is.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:03 pm
None from my state. Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:04 pm
sozobe wrote:
Good point. Hmm.

Strickland's promising but brand-spanking new. Probably too new to make a go in 2008, but who knows. Seems like it'd mean something that he won in Ohio, bellwether state that it is.

Bill Richardson is very popular in New Mexico and is doing a good job. I don't know if I'd want to lose him to the presidency.

BBB
Albuquerque
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:08 pm
This is interesting in light of the discussion about an Edwards/Obama ticket...

http://www.wral.com/news/10357396/detail.html?rss=ral&psp=news
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:13 pm
sozobe wrote:
Good point. Hmm.

Winning in Ohio had a lot to do with dissatisfaction after the 2004 voting fiasco, coupled with Blackwell's unpopularity--not only with the voters, but even within the Republican party. People like Tom Noe (the Shrub's principal fundraiser in Ohio before the roof fell in on him) being linked to Blackwell and the Republican party didn't help. I agree that Strickland needs to develop a track record before running for the White House. Being a member of the House of Representatives doesn't really count in Presidential politics, but his record as a member of the Committee on Veteran's Affairs sure can't hurt.

I like Richardson, but have to confess that i really don't know that much about him, so it wouldn't be reasonable for me to say i think he'd make a good President.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:15 pm
Quote:
People like Tom Noe (the Shrub's principal fundraiser in Ohio before the roof fell in on him) being linked to Blackwell and the Republican party didn't help

He got 18 years today

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:25 pm
Everything you want to know about Bill Richardson
Everything you want to know about Bill Richardson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Richardson_(politician)
0 Replies