rioting in Benton Harbor

snood

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:53 am
I'd like to have a thread here to follow along as the story unfolds about the riots in Michigan touched off by the highspeed chase that ended in the death of a motorcycler. I'd really appreciate two things: I'd really appreciate it if people could post their reactions and thoughts on this story, as more is uncovered. And, I'd appreciate it if, in the expression of those reactions and thoughts, everyone made a conscious effort to avoid jumping to ugly conclusions (for instance, "The police chief is Black, and so I don't know what the rioters are talking about."... Or, "The rioters are damaging property in their own neighborhoods, so its obviously mindless violence.") With such a small town, there might be insights to be gained.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,074 • Replies: 74
No top replies

mac11

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 09:04 am
It sounds very serious. I'm not familiar with the area - is it close to a larger city?

Link to CNN article about Rioting in Benton Harbor
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 09:08 am
snood can you provide a link that you feel offers the most accurate account for what is happening.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 09:08 am
Wow, what's the background on Benton Harbor? Seems like it must have been on the verge for this to happen for 2 night.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 09:09 am
http://www.detnews.com/2003/metro/0306/18/e02-196724.htm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 09:46 am
A completely inappropriate response by the populace, and not that surprising, really. Reminds me of a quote from a movie, "The real gold's south of 60, stuck, watching the boob tube, bored to death".

Benton Harbor isn't exactly a mecca of entertainment, nor is it a very peaceful community to begin with.

By the way, the Benton Harbor Police have a no-chase policy. Apparently the cop was three blocks behind the guy when he lost control of the bike.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 10:19 am
It looks as though two police forces are involved here. Benton Harbor and Benton Township. Benton Harbor police have a rule in place not to chase which could involve harm. Benton Township has agreed to place that rule for the township. According to the article a statement was made that police did not fire on the cyclist. It looks to me as if the rioters are late in their response. If they were already boiling mad why didn't they bring things to a head before a death occurs.

Many questions are not answered here. Does the police force target a group? Has the cyclist a history that warrants a chase? The people cannot just tell the police force to not enforce laws as then there is no reason to have the laws or police. So then we are left with how the law is administered. This seems to be what needs clarification. I personally feel that the anger should be confronted by calling a special town meeting with a moderator who will listen to both sides to see if and acceptable proposal to restore order could be hammered out.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 11:00 am
I'm interested in any charges of police misconduct. I'm a black male. I used to live in Prince Georges county, Maryland. that's when I started tracking this kind of thing. If you don't know anything about Prince Georges County, a quick google search will clue you into all the "breathing while black" type incidents that happen there.

Here's the latest I could find on Benton Harbor. I'm sure that after a few days, only the most diligent searchers will be able to unearth the facts - alleged police misconduct has a way of finding its way out of the spotlight quickly.

http://www.wndu.com/news/062003/news_20425.php
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 01:41 pm
An interesting portion from Mac's link:

Quote:
Many of the city's residents believe they are unfairly targeted by police from the more prosperous white communities around them, said Charlie Ammeson, a local attorney.

"The real underlying cause, in my opinion, is that we have a segregated community up here," Ammeson said. "The fear, the distrust, that develops just gets blown out of proportion."

Although it was once home to foundries, boatyards and appliance factories, many Benton Harbor jobs have evaporated and unemployment runs above 25 percent, according to state records.

and an interesting portion from littlek's link:

Quote:
Police officers in riot gear gathered at the scene Tuesday night for the second night in a row and were trying to maintain crowd control. Officials had feared continued disturbances and had planned to have up to 40 state troopers on standby to assist the city police department.

During a three-hour melee that ended around 2 a.m. Tuesday, officers were outnumbered and unable to arrest any of the hundreds involved.

During that disturbance police said shots were fired, several police officers were hit by bricks, four Benton Harbor police vehicles suffered extensive damage and three more received minor damage.

I believe you can only push people so far, ie. action/reaction.

Hey, cjsha: please look up compassion and empathy in your Webster's; then try educating yourself regarding police misconduct vis-a-vis minorities in America; finally, pick up a heart somewhere, ok?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 02:19 pm
Sweetie, your brain is screwed on backwards, oh so sorry about that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 02:24 pm
I'm sorry, but I don't have compassion and empathy for a bunch of people who try to claim justice by destroying and looting property. The police so far have been unable to contain them because they have taken a hands off approach. Now, their gonna have to bring in the National Guard. I doubt they will have much compassion and empathy either.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 02:26 pm
And Sweetie, you paraphrased also. Yes, shots were fired, but if you hadn't edited your post so carefully, it would also have noted than no shots were fired by any of the officers, at least from what's been published so far. They were shot AT.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 02:51 pm
Cjhsa-

You've mentioned "disliking" me. You've now made it clear that your mind is made up about the nature of the conflict in Michigan.

I don't see any compelling reason for you to post in this thread anymore, do you?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 03:09 pm
What's your point Snood? I dislike you because of your point of view, and the fact you've harrassed me a bit here on A2K. I also feel very sorry for you if you somehow feel a heartfelt connection to a bunch of people with no respect for life or property.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 03:19 pm
In fact, originally being from Michigan, I'm embarrassed by my home state in this regard lately. They riot, win or lose, anytime one of their sports teams is in the playoffs. This includes East Lansing as well as Detroit. What is up with that?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 03:23 pm
Let's put the daggers away and play nice people. This is a thread about Benton Harbor and the goings on there. There is plenty enough news on that topic alone to fill the thread quite nicely. Please check the personal anomosities at the door...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 03:35 pm
I'm not here to draw any daggers, and besides what I have read in this thread, I know nothing of this community. However, if it is true that this Black community is being unfairly targeted by police, how is rioting going to help the cause? If it were white people rioting, I would hold the same opinion. This is a situation where the community must put their minds together, not their fists, IMO. I will watch this thread to see how things turn out.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 03:46 pm
Snood - I find it interesting that you started this discussion by asking people not to draw conclusions, then chime in that you are specifically seeking "charges of police misconduct", and offer your C.V. as if to justify this bias. Am I reading you wrong?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 04:33 pm
You're not just reading me wrong, by your post I'm wondering if you're reading at all. I didn't say anything about "seeking" any charges.

And cj, you want to say I have compassion for those people who are rioting, but I started this thread as an attempt to observe this latest confrontation between a populace and their police, as it unfolds. I don't have any way of knowing the story prior to it being told. If you want to kneejerk into your immediate reaction, fine - just don't try to project any of that "passion" on me.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 04:35 pm
"I'm interested in any charges of police misconduct", were my exact words. what that meant was, for anyone else who is as gifted as scrat in creative interpretation, I watch with interest whenever allegations of misconduct are made against a police force.
0 Replies