Why does my family have to be so f*cked up?

Green Witch

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:54 pm
There is nothing worse than a converted anything. I don't think you should lie or argue, just try and change the subject when religion bubbles to the surface. If mom says she is praying for you just say "thank you, I'm sure it will do me some good", and then ask her what's the weather like up in Rochester.
You can't change them, just the way you react to them. I think this kind of religion is like a drug, if offers fake comfort in a scary world. Let them have their illusions and just try and stay off the topic.

Of course, with the other cheek, you could give them the new Sam Harris book for Xmas...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:56 pm
Ha! I'm sure they would burn it immediately.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:03 pm
kickycan wrote:
dlowan wrote:
It's hard actually to separate emotionally from family, isn't it? They can get under your skin, if nothing else, like nobody else ever will.

I dunno.......I used the pretend ploy with my father, sort of. I never actually said anything which wasn't true, I just never said anything about my life, except stuff like where I was working and really external things like that.

I only introduced a couple of my men to him....ones I knew could appear acceptable to him...the rest never went near him. Ditto with friends. I accidentally let drop one day, when I was 23, that I had sex. Oh my!!!! Such horror!!!

Thing is, he was such an utterly self obsessed creature that he never asked anything, except about things that he wanted to know about so he could boast to friends...you know, like marks at uni and such, so it was much easier to just avoid having him know anything about my life than it would be with a normal human being.

My sense is that your family would actually ask you stuff?

Well, we talk every week on the phone, and yeah, they (mostly my mother) always ask me stuff. I have already started to keep things from them, like for instance, the last time I quit my job, which was a pretty big thing, I kept it from them until after I got another one. I just didn't want to hear my mother tell me what I should do, and why I shouldn't do it.

Like I said, it's mostly my mother. I have also instituted a policy of NEVER telling them I have a date. Even if I go out with women who are single friends, I don't really like to tell her. It just gets her motherly instincts all up and in a flutter, and the nagging and questioning follows directly.

But the religion stuff is very hard for me to lie about for some reason. I'm not a good liar in the first place. Omitting information I can do, but actually saying something that isn't true, especially to the people who gave birth to me and raised me...that would be a pretty tall order.

Maybe I could tell her that I do believe in god (defining "god" in my head as "the universe", or "the thing that makes the world do it's thing on a daily basis, whatever that may be") in a certain sense, but I just don't believe in organized religion. That's not really a lie, is it?

But my worry is that if I ever told them I believed in god, they would go into the next phase of "Operation Rescue Kicky" and I'd have to then hear all about their church and all the wonderful people in it, and how I should really go with them when I'm home and I'd have them all talking to me about jesus and god all the time...that doesn't sound too promising to me.

Indeed.

Have you thought of a phrase to say whenever they raise the subject, that never varies? Like a mantra?

(There's a technical name for this ploy that I have temporarily forgotten)

The aim is that they weary of the conversation because you give no purchase for continuing.....

You know...mebbe something like:

"I appreciate that this is important to you, and that you are trying to be helpful to me, but this is a topic we will not agree on, and I prefer to speak about other things....." Followed by a new conversational gambit....

Another trick I used, which WAS helpful for me with my father, was behavioural intervention.

He used to verbally harass and abuse me...for hours if I let him, all quite genuinely, in his mind, to be helpful.

One day I simply said:

"Dad, I will not take your abuse any more. If you start being abusive, I will not say anything, I will not argue, I will simply walk out the door, and you will not see me or hear from me again for 2 weeks, and I will not speak to you if you contact me."

I followed through a couple of times, and he learned (had to be reminded every now and again.

I am not suggesting you phrase it that way.....but perhaps if you say to your family that you find the religious pressure distressing and it affects your pleasure in contact with them and you do not want to become angry, so you will terminate conversations with them if they persist...eg finish a phone call with your mum if she starts in...politely and lovingly, but firmly.

I dunno...just throwing out ideas....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 07:44 pm
kickycan wrote:
Trust me though, I have scars. Did I ever tell you guys about my teen years, when I used to read the bible every night, and had decided that I was not going to have sex until I was married? I didn't wake up from that stupidity until I was in my third year of COLLEGE! And that was when they were just moderately religious!

That explains SO much... ;-)

Quote:
Another trick I used, which WAS helpful for me with my father, was behavioural intervention.

He used to verbally harass and abuse me...for hours if I let him, all quite genuinely, in his mind, to be helpful.

One day I simply said:

"Dad, I will not take your abuse any more. If you start being abusive, I will not say anything, I will not argue, I will simply walk out the door, and you will not see me or hear from me again for 2 weeks, and I will not speak to you if you contact me."

I followed through a couple of times, and he learned (had to be reminded every now and again.

I did a very similar thing with my dad. Also worked, to an extent anyway.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 11:08 am
kickycan wrote:
Did I ever tell you guys about my teen years, when I used to read the bible every night, and had decided that I was not going to have sex until I was married? I didn't wake up from that stupidity until I was in my third year of COLLEGE!

So, you're still a virgin. Fresh meat!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 11:36 am
dlowan wrote:
[
One day I simply said:

heh...I did that with my mother, over the phone....that was that last conversation we ever had.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 11:47 am
I'm not for pretending/lying, not at your adult age. Otherwise you'll be 62 and still doing it with very aged parents. The pretending business keeps you in this peculiar childlike place. I'm more in agreement with Heeven about having a straight talk conversation.

Or, not having the conversation, but using a mantra type sentence, and sticking to it, as Dlowan mentioned.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 11:59 am
ossobuco wrote:
I'm not for pretending/lying, not at your adult age. Otherwise you'll be 62 and still doing it with very aged parents. The pretending business keeps you in this peculiar childlike place. I'm more in agreement with Heeven about having a straight talk conversation.

Or, not having the conversation, but using a mantra type sentence, and sticking to it, as Dlowan mentioned.

(nodding)

yes, this agreeing just to get along can be devestating to one's view of yourself, and how you act with the rest of the world.
Like you can be a responsible member of society, making critical choices every day, but can't tell someone much about your life because it would "upset" them.

Do the people you're altering your basic personality for make any effort to do the same for you?

We all have roles in our families, and when one member decides to throw their script away, it bungles everyone else up because you're not playing your part.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:09 pm
How about a direct reply?

"Mom, you can't force faith. It'll either come to me on its own, or it won't."
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:38 pm
Drew Dad has a good idea.

Quote:
Mom, you can't force faith. It'll either come to me on its own, or it won't."

Could it be that what really bothers you about your mother's intrusive beliefs is that she's treating you as less-than-an-independent-adult?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 12:40 pm
Yes, Noddy, that is definitely part of it. But I always rationalize that away with the old, "it's just the way italian mothers are" bit.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 02:05 pm
kickycan wrote:
I guess I could try that. I don't know. I think maybe Lash was right. Just pretending might be the way to go. On the other hand, maybe I should just move somewhere far enough away that I won't have to deal with them. The moon, perhaps?

Kicky you've got to do what you think is best and what is going to work for you. I'm sure it feels confusing sometimes. I know at least for me it is because there's so many mixed emotions about it all. But every family is unique, and you know what you need or don't from yours. Maybe just getting all this off your chest will help you to deal a little better, you know?
0 Replies

heartofthesun

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 02:56 pm
Re: Why does my family have to be so f*cked up?
kickycan wrote:

This is a really f*cked up situation, isn't it? And I feel guilty even writing this. It can't be good for my mental well-being. But there is no solution. I'm stuck. Family sucks.

kicky -- let it go. it's all in good faith (excuse the pun).
religion, belief, hope, likes and dislikes are nothing but a matter of personal taste. your religiosity or lack thereof is none of their business, as their's is none of yours. when they try to shove it down your throat, think of all the times mommy dearest shoved broccoli and brussel sprouts down your throat. pass it on to the dog, when they are not looking.
let it go..it's all in jest, really. they'll get over it soon enough..and nobody will be the wiser for it. happy thxgiving. i have monsters of my own to battle. and yeah, they too give me ulcers, but dude life's too friggin short to not try to make your mother happy. fake it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:13 pm
kickycan wrote:
Yes, Noddy, that is definitely part of it. But I always rationalize that away with the old, "it's just the way italian mothers are" bit.

You know, I didn't want to just come out and say this, especially because I'm not Italian, but that's how I've been seeing it from the start. It's the culture.

Almost all my friends were Italian when I was growing up, and I loved sitting back at their houses and watching the drama of daily life unfold. Never a dull moment. Every dinner held the possibility of someone being disowned, forgiven and compared to every living relative, all in the same meal.

The intrigue, the damnation, the baked zitiĀ…

Kicky, you're just like your cousin Mario. Always with the smart mouth.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:13 pm
Kicky--

Quote:

Do you find the role of Good Italian Son a bit confining?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:33 pm
Maybe you should stop putting acid in their Cappucino.
0 Replies