Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 11:06 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,896 • Replies: 119
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 06:43 am
Even I don't give credence to the rantings of Limbaugh...does anyone? I tend to use Limbaugh as a source of humor when I am feeling low and often wonder if even he believes the stuff he is spewing out. Additionally we must take into account Limbaugh's reliance on mind altering prescription drugs. Yes, yes. I know, you are going to tell me now Limbaugh never had a mind to be altered. That's a topic for another thread.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 08:07 am
That's because you are a Republican with certain moderate tendencies, Sturgis. So you can see just how far gone Limbaugh really is.

I have known people who speak of Limbaugh as if he was The Great Man himself, this generation's truth teller. Indeed, most liberal figures get critical mail littered with phrases Limbaugh developed, such as "environmentalist wacko" and "feminazi". Indeed, these Limbaugh phrases get used by some people as if they are legit expressions, instead of the "hook lines" and schticks of a talk show host.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 08:17 am
I don't ever listen to Limbaugh. Giving him an audience is just wrong.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 08:21 am
One of the surreal things about Limbaugh's criticism of Fox this time is the fact that Limbaugh accepted all this sympathy from his public when he went partially deaf. This went on for well over a year, with Limbaugh portraying himself as a brave man unwilling to let a physical infirmity keep him from his mission of exposing political hypocrisy by liberals.

Then it turns out that his deafness was a result of his shovelling the Oxycontin pills he was illegally buying in diner parking lots and other places. Not surprisingly, his public actually gave him a pass on that one.

But now, after never being held to account for all this misplaced sympathy coming Limbaugh's way as a result of his illegal activity, Limbaugh has the nerve to attack a man as a phony who really IS a victim of circumstance. Michael J. Fox suffers from a malady that is not the result of shovelling joy pills down his gullet, but from a natural process that he was helpless to stop.

And Limbaugh, the man who accepted all this sympathy for something that was entirely of his own making, sees fit to criticize Fox. Unbelievable.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 08:55 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Then it turns out that his deafness was a result of his shovelling the Oxycontin pills he was illegally buying in diner parking lots and other places. Not surprisingly, his public actually gave him a pass on that one.

First, let me say that I think what Limbaugh said about Michael Fox was disgusting. What I am curious about though, is where you learned that Limbaugh's deafness was a result of the oxycontin.

I am well aware that certain medications have ototoxicity as a side effect. I looked through my PDR, as well as searching the net, and could find no reference as to that particular problem with oxycontin. Where did you get your information? I would be very interested. Thanks!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 08:57 am
I have read somewhere in the past that Limbaugh's illicit drug use brought on the deafness.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:01 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I have read somewhere in the past that Limbaugh's illicit drug use brought on the deafness.

edgarblythe- Over the years I have read a lot of things that were of dubious veracity. What I am asking for, is a citation, from a reputable medical site, that overuse of oxycontin causes deafness.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:01 am
It sounds like Vicodin (another one he used) may have been the cultrit, though Oxycontin didn't help:

Quote:
Study Links Ototoxic Effects to Commonly Prescribed Painkiller.
A S H A Leader, May, 1999 by Boswell, Susan

A widely prescribed painkiller has been linked to profound hearing loss, according to a new retrospective study by the House Ear Clinic (HEC) in Los Angeles.

The study reported on a group of 12 patients who developed profound sensorineural hearing loss after overuse of the popular painkiller Vicodin for as little as two months to as long as 10 years.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb4337/is_199905/ai_n15166159
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:02 am
Oxycontin:

Quote:
A number of drugs have been associated with damage to the cochlea. The best known are aminoglycoside antibiotics, aspirin, nicotine and furosemide. Also, oxycodone, the main ingredient in OxyContin, can cause damage to the cochlea. The most famous person to have a cochlea transplant caused by oxycodone is Rush Limbaugh, a conservative radio talk show host. As with any opiates, hearing loss can cause ototoxicity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ototoxicity
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:03 am
Thanks, Soz. That was the kind of citation that I was looking for.

I always considered Limbaugh amusing, a P.T. Barnumesque showman who sometimes hid a kernel of truth amongst his ramblings. Now I think that he is a disgusting s.o.b.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:22 am
For those interested in learning about ototoxic agents, I found an interesting article:

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/bilat/ototoxins.html#misc

There are many medications which are ototoxic. I became aware of this, because my brother is an audiologist, and he was concerned about my hearing when I was undergoing chemotherapy.

In fact there are a number of common antibiotics that can mess up your hearing. Even taking too much aspirin can cause tinnitus, although the condition would be temporary.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:26 am
Yep. It seems possible that Diamox, a diuretic I was put on when my hearing started going kerflooey, may well have had something to do with the severity of my eventual hearing loss. (Went steadily downwards when I was on it, and when I stopped -- at age 18 since nobody could force me to take it and I was always against it -- my hearing stabilized.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:35 am
Oy, Soz...........I think that we all have horror stories of the "If I knew then what I know now" type. My son was put on tetracycline over a long period of time when he was a baby, What they didn't know then, was that the drug can cause the emerging adult teeth to become terribly discolored.

That medical goof caused my kid a miserable childhood, with the kids teasing him. It was only when he was old enough to have his teeth capped, that the problem disappeared.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 08:16 pm
sozobe wrote:
Oxycontin:

Quote:
A number of drugs have been associated with damage to the cochlea. The best known are aminoglycoside antibiotics, aspirin, nicotine and furosemide. Also, oxycodone, the main ingredient in OxyContin, can cause damage to the cochlea. The most famous person to have a cochlea transplant caused by oxycodone is Rush Limbaugh, a conservative radio talk show host. As with any opiates, hearing loss can cause ototoxicity.

This is a "reputable medical site"? Shocked

Hmmmm, let me go and fix that....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 08:55 pm
McGentrix wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Oxycontin:

Quote:

Can you refute the information?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:21 pm
Here is a scientific study..

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/citation/54/12/2345
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:23 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Oxycontin:

Quote:

Can you refute the information?

Link

Quote:
Long-term use of Vicodin has been linked, in very rare cases, to hearing loss; there's no published data yet on OxyContin.

OxyContin Side Effects

Hearing loss is not listed

Vicoden has a long history of possibly causing hearing loss, but not Oxycontin. You can find any number of websites created by people that don't care much for Rush spouting about how his abuse of oxycontin lead to his hearing loss, but no medical ones. Why do you suppose that is?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:24 pm
parados wrote:

Perhaps you can quote it here for us?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:26 pm
He didn't use vicodin?
0 Replies