What Is the Worst Sin?

dov1953

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 10:39 pm
Confused
I tried this question before, about two years ago, with disappointing replies. There were many replies, but nearly the whole voice of protest against me was because of the influence of "sacred text". I don't want any quotes from books. I don't want quotes about quotes of other people saying what was the worst sin. I am not a religious man, so I am not some kind of hot head on a mission. I will not try to tell anyone that they are right or wrong. I want us to free our minds and give a reply that you know is true. What is THE worst sin?........................................................................................................................................................My answer, for me, is: betrayal.......................What is the worst sin? Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,532 • Replies: 158
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 10:56 pm
dov, If you wish to discuss the transgression of moral law, the worst one would be the killing of thousands of innocent humans without cause - such as what our president has done to the Iraqis. Saddam did not pose any threat to our security. He did not have missiles that would have reached us. There's a big question as to whether he had chemical and biological weapons. None has been found as of this date. He did not have any connections to Osama and his terrorists; there is no proof. This much we know. If this president and his administration lied or deceived the American people to justify this war with Iraq, that would be the ultimate sin. c.i.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 11:10 pm
I think it is possible I may run afoul of your parameters.
Since my beliefs about sin are heavily influenced by what I've read in the Bible, I believe the worst sin is the intentional misrepresentation of any or all of the three Persons of God for any reason--most specifically financial gain or personal glory.

This is why when I am standing in line, waiting my turn on Judgement Day, you will not catch me standing close to televangelists.

----------------------
If I forget what I've learned in a book, as you seem to prefer--I would say murder. Not the violent act, but what you've stolen from your victim, and those who love them.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 11:18 pm
betrayal or turning your back on, the Father(God), Son(Jesus), and the Holy Spirit.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 11:25 pm
I think the "sin" as biblically defined would be to believe in the concept of "sin"!

Sin is a lever by which one person may categorize another, or a group, or a belief system, or a way of life, in order to justify an otherwise insupportable opinion.

Society defines and creates sin; the individual is born into a moral void in which s/he is pressured to conform and adhere to local "standards", but may mature, grow, and create one's own sense of integrity.

"Sin" is not being true to your own principles; or to not have any.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 12:08 am
Lack of compassion.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 12:16 am
Betrayal ... as in turning your back on yourself.
Not being true to ones own heart and genuine nature.
False living wastes ones own time, damages society, and distracts everyone else.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 12:28 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing Lack of compassion is a psychiatrict term meaning that a person is a Sociopath. This is a natural state similar being born with a physical abnormality. Such a person is morally nuetral because it is not their choice to be without empathy. Scientists say that 3% of men and 1% of woman are born sociopathic. But of course I am not going to express my opinion on the matter. I am not a Christian but I just happen to know that the Bible says that denying the Holy Spirit is the only unforgivable sin. The only text book I refer to is my finely toned sense of right or wrong. I never doubt that but I am aware of how some use this as license, like manipulating the emotion and the wallets of audiences just prime for firey oratory, with pauses for donations So is it denial or murder of betrayal? Single incidents don't count.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:55 am
First you have to define "sin."
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:02 am
Well, I am quite traditional in approach to the problem, and I think that definition of the worst sins by St. Gregory the Great has not lost its actuality, since human nature did not change much since 6th century AD. Therefore, the worst sins are: Vanity, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Wrath, Covetousness and Sloth.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:28 am
Sin is a word that has meaning only in a religious context. The word essentially means an act, thought, word, or deed that OFFENDS GOD.

I don't even know that there is a GOD -- and if there is, I cannot imagine a GOD who would be offended by anything a human would do.

But if you actually mean WHAT IS THE WORST HUMAN FAILING -- I would venture that dlowan was correct in citing "a lack of compassion" -- or of empathy.
0 Replies

gc47

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:29 am
dov1953...

i'm sure that you realize that the word, sin, is a religious word that comes pre-packaged with religious meaning...trying to dissassociate it from its roots is near impossible in western culture....

now if the your question is intended to ask"what is the worst action that a person can commit?"...that is an entirely different thing...

to me...the worst action that a person can commit (sin) is...to not love your neighbor

of course it is from sacred texts, but can it be improved upon??...
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:26 am
I'm surprised dov;

There seems to be a high degree of agreement on this! Shocked
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:13 am
IMO Pride is the sin from which all others flow.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:20 am
Oh, no, Bear. Not pride. Oh my, I am lost.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:38 am
I was going to answer THEFT, since theft in a broad sense could include killing or "stealing" someone's life, stealing their respect, stealing their spirit.

But then I thought, what if I go from the other way. How do I think people should behave? To me, the best are those who are compassionate for everything around them, therefore the opposite, LACK OF COMPASSION, would be the worst. From it would stem all the horrors of the world.

Dlowan, being in the Antipodes and way ahead of me, thought of this first.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:57 am
um well, its obviously the hubris of expecting to add pineapple to jello and expecting it to gel properly.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:10 am
Frank, "Sin" does have a religious connotation, and since this president is so keen on showing his christianity, I thought it appropriate to slap it back to him. c.i.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:21 am
I think jealousy, envy, and covetousness are at the root of the worst actions and sins against people, even the big ones like war and mass killings which might be traceable to coveting others' land and assets.

Lack of compassion and sociopaths could be number one, but then, if they are born that way, then, well, they are not entirely accountable, just ill, so I stick with jealousy and the rest.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:06 am
Faking reality. Faking reality produces all those terrible things that people do to one another, and themselves!
0 Replies