What Is the Worst Sin?

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:26 am
It always helps if you have something worth selling!

His problem though, was that people could never maintain the level of what they had bought.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:07 am
HF, No hard feelings at all! I'm all for discussing the merits of either side of any argument if we stick to the issue. The only problem I have with our involvement in Iraq is that the world community did not support your position, and what justifications this administration and the UK used for going to war has nothing to do with saving Iraqi's lives. It was determined by this administration and the UK that Iraq had the capability to use their WMD's against us in 45 minutes. They used "urgency" as their justification to "attack" Iraq in a "aggrressive" manner. That "urgency" has now disappeared, because the "intelligence" agencies are now telling us that they provided no such information to this president or administration. This "urgency" has also cost our military over 200 lives, and we must also include the thousands of innocent Iraqi's and their military that have died for a cause that is highly questionable at best. Using Germany as the primary reason for our aggression is trying to match apples and oranges. Iraq was not in the process of overtaking any country as was Germany. Iraq was not a threat; the threat Saddam posed was created by the imagination of this administration. c.i.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:39 pm
The worse sin:

To die and never to have loved prior to death.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 03:47 pm
truth
C.I., good summary of the case against Bush's war.
Dux, I do think that Jesus had much to teach mankind. He was a gentle, wise soul from all accounts. But thanks to Paul, instead of looking to where he was pointing we suck his finger for comfort.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 03:55 pm
Paul, with some assist from Augustine, seem to have created what we now call christianity.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 03:59 pm
truth
That seems so, DYS. The founder of Christianity certainly wasn't Jesus. Imagine what he would say if he saw all the nonsense today of TV evangelism and the Catholic Church. I think there has been only one Christian and that was Jesus.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 04:06 pm
I don't really think jesus would wear a rolex if he has his own T.V. show, but i kinda think Paul would. actually looking back at christianity et al we have an excellent example of entropy.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 04:13 pm
truth
Growth in terms of scale of wealth but entropy in terms of spiritual value, yes!
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 05:04 pm
You've pushed my buttons on the subject of evangalists. They cause me to think that they are evil every time I look at them. No other subject makes me think this. There are greater acts of evil and more evil people for certain though these never call for this consistent automatic response. I try, for the sake of civility and political correctness, to not express my opinion with absolute certainty but these people are evil because no true Christian would live in wealth while there are people starving to death. Alas, there is nothing new there but I had to say it. I am thrilled every time one falls in disgrace. Thankfully most have seem to have disappeared but I have to admit I am amused by Tammy Faye Messner. She's just oblivious to the rational. She doesn't strike me as out right evil. There, I said it! I'll try not to belabor the point in the future.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 05:29 pm
truth
Not only do they enjoy virtually unearned wealth, but they gain that wealth from the poor and uneducated who mainly make up their audience and constituency. Ghastly!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 05:38 pm
Do I hear an "amen"?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 06:48 pm
JLN, I've often wondered why so many poor countries have such beautiful churches in the midst of so many other basic needs like food and shelter. What god would ask their members to sacrifice so much for a building? c.i.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 06:53 pm
accouterments of power and intimidation
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:02 pm
In my opinion, the worst sin is the one against yourself, or betrayal of yourself. In other words, doing something that is totally against your grain, to please someone else, at the expense of those you love.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:26 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
JLN, I've often wondered why so many poor countries have such beautiful churches in the midst of so many other basic needs like food and shelter. What god would ask their members to sacrifice so much for a building? c.i.

If you think that's odd, here every 12 of december thousands of poor peasants emigrate from the country to Mexico city so the can go the virgin of guadalupe. & those are poor people, people who barely have anything to eat. However, they are really ignorants.

Btw, what can you expect from people who believe that elves dwell in the surroundings of their homes at night.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:21 pm
Dux, I may rail against religions, because I'm a atheist, but I doubt very much they are really "ignorants." All my siblings are christians, and their intellect is far greater than mine. They are not "ignorants." We only have different beliefs. As a matter of fact, only 2.5 percent of the world population believe as I do. c.i.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 11:06 pm
truth
C.I., in my experience Dux's generalization is not inaccurate. He's referring of course to Mexico's so-called Indians, a people who have been almost totally deprived of education and upward mobility. Since Mexico's conquest by Spain in 1521 throughout the colonial period and national post-independence years, and up to the present, Mexico's poor have been treated as less than human, politically, educationally and economically. It is no wonder that they hold beliefs and have practices that are strange to say the least to an outsider. I have, however, lived several years among these people and find them to be most often noble, patient, kind and extremely hard-working.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 11:36 pm
Murder, rape, betraying the trust of a child, spouse or friend, arrogant ignorance, and littering are among the top sins in my book.

It is a grievous sin to create people whose biochemical makeup saddles them with uncontrollable urges to harm their fellow beings or themselves.

But IMO the worst sin is to grant someone free will, then torture them for all eternity if they exercise it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 11:50 pm
Terry's quote: "But IMO the worst sin is to grant someone free will, then torture them for all eternity if they exercise it." Terry, that's because man wrote the bible, and many contradictions abound. Any "loving" god can't say "I offer humans free will," then threaten them to eternity in hell if they do. There's no logic in that kind of thesis. c.i.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 04:59 am
Terry wrote:

But IMO the worst sin is to grant someone free will, then torture them for all eternity if they exercise it.

May I add a very loud and emphatic AMEN to that?

Ahhhh...I know you'll say yes, Terry, so....

AMEN!!!!!
0 Replies