What Is the Worst Sin?

Tex-Star

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:27 am
I think the word "sin" could be defined as "missing the mark," but would require too much background in that whatever sin one commits in this life is not planned but, rather, just a very rotten choice on our part. I can't seem to find that one "sin" is any worse than another. They all lead to another, worse.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 12:44 pm
But then I thought, what if I go from the other way. How do I think people should behave? To me, the best are those who are compassionate for everything around them, therefore the opposite, LACK OF COMPASSION, would be the worst. From it would stem all the horrors of the world.

Dlowan, being in the Antipodes and way ahead of me, thought of this first.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Compassion goes a long way.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:16 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
I don't even know that there is a GOD -- and if there is, I cannot imagine a GOD who would be offended by anything a human would do.

IMO, God may be offended when humans ignore His instructions to conduct a righteous way of life. Well, any king may be offended while being ignored, and God is a King of Kings.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:42 pm
steissd, Your definition of god, "God is a King of Kings" is not accepted by all humans. c.i.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:16 pm
Frank; shouldn't that be "maybe/maybe not god"..............
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:22 pm
I want to change my answer to the biggest sin is "Not responding to my post about teachers."

Been waiting all day.

Any takers???????

thanks
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:27 pm
dupre; if you could direct me to it I would be glad to comment (just ask, they're all just waiting for me to shut up for a minute);
Now, just as a guess - teaching things that are not true to impressionable minds is pretty high on the scale of "things best not to do"!

I think they call it breach of trust.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:42 pm
Yippee!!!

http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7698&start=20
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:48 pm
What is the worst sin?
What is the worst sin? Well, for starters: believing in "original sin."

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:50 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie: LOVE your irony. And so true, too! Well said.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:56 pm
How about, the heaven and the earth was built in seven days? c.i.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 05:27 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
How about, the heaven and the earth was built in seven days? c.i.

please explain? this varies by definition, if you do not believe in God or Heaven - no basis for that judgement? Laughing

of maybe one other point - if you believe in spontaneous life - they you could have a universe(heaven) and earth in like 7 days???? :wink:
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 05:35 pm
Rolling Eyes Well, so we've agreed; the worst sin is not to have empathy for your neighbor.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:01 pm
I believe the original question is based on a faulty premise. When claiming not to be a religious person and not out to convert or judge anyone, the use of the word "sin" raises suspicions.

See Frank's thought for further explanation:

Quote:
Sin is a word that has meaning only in a religious context. The word essentially means an act, thought, word, or deed that OFFENDS GOD.

I don't even know that there is a GOD -- and if there is, I cannot imagine a GOD who would be offended by anything a human would do.

But if you actually mean WHAT IS THE WORST HUMAN FAILING -- I would venture that dlowan was correct in citing "a lack of compassion" -- or of empathy.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:54 pm
swinging away on a 3-0 count with the bases loaded, 2 outs, down by 1 run.

do that, you go straight to hell.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:12 pm
husker, Sorry about my one liners. It's hard to get out of that habit at my age. Getting senile and impatient. Here's my thinking, at any rate. Paleontologists found another skull in Africa they claim is over 160,000 years old. According to a theologian who studied the bible, he puts the age of this earth at about 6,000 years old. These same paleontologists claim from these skulls prove that homo sapiens evolved into the modern hominids we are today after several hundred thousands of years. If we are made in the "image of god," at what point of development were we made in his image? c.i.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 09:41 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
If we are made in the "image of god," at what point of development were we made in his image? c.i.

at the point where what we refer to as self conscienceness, awareness of self, or sentience occurs. this is the point where humanity is "god-like"

unfortunately for humanity, it appears more likely with each passing day that with increased knowledge of other species, primarily in the great apes, chimps, and dolphins, that they share humanity's trait of sentience and god may well have big fins and flippers or at the least an extremely hairy body.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 09:58 am
well perhaps I'm closer kin to the big guy than I thought then :wink:
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:24 pm
Re: What Is the Worst Sin?
dov1953 wrote:
I don't want any quotes from books. I don't want quotes about quotes of other people saying what was the worst sin. I am not a religious man, so I am not some kind of hot head on a mission. I will not try to tell anyone that they are right or wrong. I want us to free our minds and give a reply that you know is true.

There is categorically no such thing as sin. Just the same as there is categorically no such thing as good or evil.
ALL of these things depend upon your point of view. Hitler and Saddam are/were dangerous lunatics in the eyes of most of humanity. However in the eyes of at least some of their followers they were the equivalent of saints.
So who is correct ?
Can't decide ?
Good. You shouldn't be able to.
What this sort of discussion should lead you to is the realisation that there is no right or wrong either.
There is just THEM and US.
Those who do not come within our own personal parameters of acceptability in whatever particular area are THEM.
Those who do come within our own personal parameters of acceptability are US.
Neither group has any more relevance than the other nor are they in possession of some sort of moral high ground or a special viewpoint.
Each group only has it's own values to go on and it's parameters of acceptability.
Every individual also has their own parameters but broadly speaking you can place each individual into one of the two groups depending upon the issue at hand.

That's it.

D
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 01:47 pm
Helio, Very good point. When we try to apply western philosophy to human actions in other parts of the world, it's a one-sided view. We seem to think that our aggression against Iraq is justified on the basis of our values, but even our values have contradictions when viewed from christian/moral precepts. Doesn't "thou shalt not kill" have only one meaning without exceptions? It's been estimated that the allies killed over 3,000 innocent Iraqis. c.i.
0 Replies