Who is the Humane Society of the United States?

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:24 am
Paul J. Irwin, President of the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS):

'The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) today called on pet owners and professional breeders to stop all breeding of dogs and cats... The moratoria proposed by the HSUS include both voluntary and mandatory plans,' Said Irwin. '(HSUS) asks pet owners and professional breeders to stop allowing their animals to breed for at least one year,'" - (HSUS News Release, March 18, 1993)

"The society said it would seek a mandatory two-year moratorium, calling for penalties against violators, if the temporary ban doesn't significantly reduce (dog numbers)." -(USA Today article on the HSUS plan, March 19, 1993)

Michael Fox, Head of HSUS's Center for Respect for Life and Environment:
"Humane treatment is just sentimental, sympathetic patronage."

"Humans are different. We're not superior. There are no clear distinctions between us and animals..." - (Returning to Eden, Fox Publications)

"The life of an ant and the life of my child should be granted equal consideration." (Inhumane Society, Fox Publications)

"Dr. Michael Fox of the Humane Society says that 'pet owner' is offensive too and should be changed to 'human companion of the nonhuman companion'" - (S. News and World Report 1992)

Ingrid Newkirk, National Director of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA):
"One Day, we would like an end to pet shops and the breeding of animals. (Dogs) would pursue their natural lives in the wild... They would have full lives, not waiting at home for someone to come home in the evenings and pet them and then sit there and watch TV." - (Where Would We Be Without Animals?" Chicago Daily Herald Mar. 1, 1990)

"Animal liberations do not separate out the human animal, so there is no rational basis for saying that a human being has special rights. A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. They're all mammals." -(Vogue, September, 1989)

"Humans have grown like a cancer. We're the biggest blight on the face of the earth." -(Reader's Digest June, 1990)

Alex Pacheo, Chairman, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA):
"We feel that animals have the same rights as a retarded human child." -(New York Times, January 14, 1989)

Tom Regan, Q & A session following speech, "Animal Rights, Human Wrongs," University of Wisconsin-Madison, October 27, 1989:
( Answering a question whether he would save a dog or a baby if a boat capsized in the ocean.)
"If it were a retarded baby and bright dog, I'd save the dog."

John Hoyt, Chief Executive Officer of the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS):
"Don't breed (dogs) don't buy, don't even accept giveaways." (Summer HSUS News 1991)

Nina Austenberg, HSUS Regional Director:
"We don't have time for the miracle of life for dogs and cats." (Interview in "Throwaway Pets" PBS video, 1993)

Wayne Pacelle, National Director of Fund for Animals:
"One generation and out. We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals. The are creations of human selective breeding."

"We have no ethical obligation to preserve the different breeds of livestock produced through selective breeding."-(Animal People, May, 1993)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:29 am
Dartagnan wrote:
Like Ann Coulter, cjhsa stakes out an extreme position...

I'm calling bulls--t ther Dart. HSUS has extreme views, not me.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:31 am
Again, I see nothing here indicating the Humane Society is advocating or participating in cruel acts against animals.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:33 am
cjhsa wrote:
Dartagnan wrote:
Like Ann Coulter, cjhsa stakes out an extreme position...

I'm calling bulls--t ther Dart. HSUS has extreme views, not me.

Just for argument sake, if they're against hunting and you're for it, why are they extreme and you aren't?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:02 am
"...(HSUS) asks pet owners and professional breeders to stop allowing their animals to breed for at least one year..."

I dunno, why don't you ask bi-polar-bear?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:12 am
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:42 am
cjhsa wrote:
"...(HSUS) asks pet owners and professional breeders to stop allowing their animals to breed for at least one year..."

Once again, your logic is skewed. Preventing an animal from breeding-- and thus overbreeding-- is hardly cruel or inhumane. Indeed, spaying or neutering is routine in most pet adoptions for precisely that reason.

Furthermore, you recently authored a thread wherein you opined that wild deer populations are best kept in check by hunting. While the logic of that argument is certainly not unreasonable, you clearly assert the position that killing an animal accomplishes the goal of not allowing that animal to breed. Thus, when your ideas are examined in their totality, you seem to be advocating the thought that killing an animal is more humane than simply not allowing the animal to procreate.

It is precisely this sort of flawed, unclear thinking that has lead to your embarassment time and time again.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:46 am
"We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States ... We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped in California. Then we will take it state by state..."

And again, why do you fear democracy so? Is the democratic process now anathema to you, along with so much else? Are you, after all, just another freedom-hater?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 12:13 pm
Deliberate and purebread breeding has to stop for a multitude of reasons, the formemost being that breeding certain "desirable" characteristics into animals through selective breeding generally limits the genepool from which the characteristics are drawn.
So, while trying to maintain the large cranium characteristic of a Bulldog, one will subsequently take with the stud's cranial genes all other problems either inherent to the Bulldog breed, but also any hereditary illnesses he has.

Anyone know the average lifespan of a Newfoundland or a Bernese Mountain Dog? About 5-6 years. They may be bigger now than 30 years ago, but they are drawn from such a limited number of genes, they many suffer from hip, elbow, heart and urinary tract problems.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 12:16 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Once again, your logic is skewed. Preventing an animal from breeding-- and thus overbreeding-- is hardly cruel or inhumane.

It might be a bit of a problem for the breeders. Did you think of that as well? Doubt it.

I'm beginning to think I've attracted more than just a troll.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 12:23 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
"We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States ... We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped in California. Then we will take it state by state..."

And again, why do you fear democracy so? Is the democratic process now anathema to you, along with so much else? Are you, after all, just another freedom-hater?

Wildlife management issues should not be handled at the ballot box, especially when a lot of people depend on wildlife for food.

You know, that damn California spinach is dangerous. I think we should ban it....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 12:30 pm
cjhsa wrote:
blacksmithn wrote:

Wildlife management issues should not be handled at the ballot box, especially when a lot of people depend on wildlife for food.

Some issues are just too important, eh? We can elect our leaders, but not vote on hunting. You're a real hoot sometimes, cj!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 12:33 pm
...and do you know anyone personally who "depends" on wildlife for food? Isn't it the truth that they choose to go out in the woods and shoot things because they like to, not because they'd starve otherwise, as you seem to suggest?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 12:37 pm
Chris Rock once proclaimed that America is such a great country because it's the only nation where people go hunting on a full stomach.

I would agree with Snood. Perhaps in the far north of Alaska, there are people who rely on hunting as a means for survival. But nowhere below the 49th would this be accurate.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 01:04 pm
cjhsa wrote:
blacksmithn wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Once again, your logic is skewed. Preventing an animal from breeding-- and thus overbreeding-- is hardly cruel or inhumane.

It might be a bit of a problem for the breeders. Did you think of that as well? Doubt it.

I'm beginning to think I've attracted more than just a troll.

Once again, whether it's a problem for the breeders is immaterial. It's not cruel or inhumane as you posit.

As for what you believe, well you've already demonstrated a dearth of ability to engage in unmuddled thought. Therefore your belief, whatever it might be, is just as suspect and specious as your other reasoning.

And by reasoning, I mean crap you just make up because you can't think of any better way to support your arguments.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 01:13 pm
I hope everyone reading this thread takes note how well armed with rhetoric the anti-everything crowd has become. Their aim is to discredit any and all parts of American tradition and culture and push for "social change". I'm not making that up - just read their ****.

Trust them and live like the boy in the bubble.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 01:18 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I hope everyone reading this thread takes note how well armed with rhetoric the anti-everything crowd has become. Their aim is to discredit any and all parts of American tradition and culture and push for "social change". I'm not making that up - just read their ****.

Trust them and live like the boy in the bubble.

Your notion of "American tradition and culture" seems to consist of what you like doing. At what did you decide that you're the embodiment of all things American?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 01:36 pm
Dartagnan wrote:

Your notion of "American tradition and culture" seems to consist of what you like doing. At what did you decide that you're the embodiment of all things American?

I think it was the last time somone handed me a "celebrate diversity" pamphlet with a free rainbow bumper sticker, and told me God was gay. I told them they better ask her.

I already celebrate diversity, I hunt birds, big game, fish for whatever is biting.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 02:11 pm
dyslexia wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
If you were a farmer and these douche bags came and "raided" your farm, releasing all your livestock that was going to pay your mortgage, you'd definitely consider them terrorists. But HSUS doesn't want you to think like that.

Did I say they were douche bags? Do you really wanna associate yourself with terrorist douche bags?

Oh wait, I almost forgot which site I was posting on.
Ok for he safe of debate, what exactly is your argument, is the name misleading, like, say for example, the Mormons cal themselves "The Church of latter day saints, and yet almost no one thinks of them as saints. Is this your issue as well? On the other hand, you may think any organized group with an agenda contray to yours shoud not be allowed to lobby on behalf of their beliefs and would that include the NRA for those of us opposed to the NRA?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 02:13 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Dartagnan wrote:

I think it was the last time somone handed me a "celebrate diversity" pamphlet with a free rainbow bumper sticker, and told me God was gay. I told them they better ask her.

I already celebrate diversity, I hunt birds, big game, fish for whatever is biting.

I am so tempted to say, "Bite me". But, I won't.
0 Replies