sweetcomplication

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:39 am
Oh, McG: give me a break! Why not charge $1,000? Better still, why not have Bill Gates pay $100 for each citizen who doesn't vote Laughing ...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:40 am
I thought you red white and blue types were all for lower taxes?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:43 am
Well, I vote, so it wouldn't be a problem for me.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:46 am
McGentrix wrote:
Well, I vote, so it wouldn't be a problem for me.

Oh, I forgot, McG, it is all about you, isn't it? Have you heard of the concept of compassion, looking at things from another's point of view much less their circumstances? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:48 am
that's a rhetorical question, right sweet?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:49 am
Compassion? Hold on, let me check Webster...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:50 am
I have a feeling that compulsory voting wouldn't really solve the problem of apathy. Or it would create a whole slew of new problems...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:55 am
Yeah, have we already forgotten how Saddam always won the popular vote? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:55 am
But he was running against death, and who would vote for death?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 10:19 am
I have a grandson who almost gets into that category (almost at voting age). He is exposed to political discussions frequently, and sometimes participates. His dad - my son - is sort of a centrist with slight right leanings; his uncle - son-in-law -is a conservative republican; the rest of us tilt all over the place.

But he's still not interested enough to do anything. He finds the discussions interesting, but feels removed from them. His is the generation that grew up without any knowledge of active participation. Although he's studied it some, he has no idea what government means, what its role is, and could care less about Iraq. He is very uncommitted about Bush (and is uninterested). The only name that sparks curiosity is Kennedy - some magical quality there. And he likes Hillary Clinton. He got raised eyebrows at that one - but he thinks she's smart, and maybe the country should have a woman president.

I don't think he's too much different from the rest, but we need them. And we quite often don't get them until they're touched in a more personal way. Which is quite often what a war does. For what it's worth, my grandson and his friends don't understand this whole thing about Iraq at all. They're not particularly moved by feelings of patriotism.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 10:23 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
that's a rhetorical question, right sweet?

Laughing Cool :wink:

BTW, Bear, I absolutely love your tagline!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 10:26 am
Seems that's what the US is now offering the Iraqis. c.i.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 10:26 am
Go forth and touch your grandson!

Wait, that didn't come out the way I meant, I mean educate him on why voting is important. Even if he votes democrat on everything he ever votes for, I would rather see him voting, than not voting.
0 Replies