Tartarin

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 05:36 pm
Mamaj did a terrific job of placing Ruddy in the pig-sty of tabloid journalism where he belongs. He/she who posts from those sources risks being associated with them. Or could simply say, Oops, I didn't realize who that guy was.

(By the way, didja notice that Ruddy also resuscitates the Vince Foster death... in a series of articles, it seems. Well, there's so little of interest to write about in this decade who can blame the chap for going back to the scary, earth-shattering '90's...)
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 05:53 pm
A funny, awful headline from Google:

Donald Regan Dies; FBI Fingerprints Martha Stewart
Forbes - 1 hour ago

Wasn't there a little discussion of Google's limited news coverage? If I could only find that thread, I'd post something slightly startling about Google...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:16 pm
I can't link this story for you, because it comes from my Road Runner home page. RR gets their news from CNN, but i don't know if you can find anything at their site or not. I'm not gonna go look, either, because i'm just posting this to piss off some and regale others:

Quote:
Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's memoirs set a Barnes & Noble sales record for nonfiction books on its first day on store shelves, the company said Tuesday.

Clinton signed over a thousand copies of the book, "Living History," at a promotional event at a Barnes & Noble store in midtown Manhattan Monday, the first day the book was on sale.

The company said the former first lady's White House memoirs sold more than 40,000 copies in the first 24 hours it was available, instantly making it an in-house best seller.

Nationwide sales figures for other booksellers were not immediately available.

Late Monday, publisher Simon & Schuster, which paid $8 million for the tome, announced it would print an additional 100,000 copies, on top of an extraordinary initial printing of 1 million copies.

Foreign rights to Clinton's book have already been sold in over a dozen countries.

Clinton's lawyer, Robert Barnett, said he also expected international sales to be "extremely high."

And here's a little special treat for our more conservative friends:

http://www.rr.com/v5/images/ap/NYR105060912.jpg
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:30 pm
McG - if only you would think before you talk. Look what you wrote:

"Ad Hominem anyone? Why bother discussing the topic when you can so easily attack the author. Is that how you teach your children MamaJ?"

Isn't that exactly what Ruddy did? And face it - Ruddy does not exactly enjoy the best of reputations in journalism. Oh well - as I wrote in another post, ad hominen is one of the repubs' current buzz phrases. I just wish they knew what it meant.

So far as what I teach my children...all the good old democratic virtues, like honesty, concern for others, curiosity, a willingness and ability to seek answers..and they've done me proud. They also know an ad hominen when they see one.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:31 pm
A new sales record; good for Hillary! c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:49 pm
Can anybody spare a Wrigley's? c.i.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 07:21 am
As I watched her on Larry King last night I couldn't help but wonder how this was helping New York State. Shouldn't she be doing some sort of senatorial duties? It seems to me that my tax dollars are not supposed to be paying her while she is on a book tour. I guess she can get away with it because of who she is though.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 07:26 am
might be interesting to check out the attendance records of all senators and congress persons
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 07:28 am
mamajuana wrote:
McG - if only you would think before you talk. Look what you wrote:

"Ad Hominem anyone? Why bother discussing the topic when you can so easily attack the author. Is that how you teach your children MamaJ?"

Isn't that exactly what Ruddy did? And face it - Ruddy does not exactly enjoy the best of reputations in journalism. Oh well - as I wrote in another post, ad hominen is one of the repubs' current buzz phrases. I just wish they knew what it meant.

So far as what I teach my children...all the good old democratic virtues, like honesty, concern for others, curiosity, a willingness and ability to seek answers..and they've done me proud. They also know an ad hominen when they see one.

(as a side note, I meant your children here...not IRL...Didn't mean to infer that...)

Quote:
Argumentum ad hominem (argument directed at the person). This is the error of attacking the character or motives of a person who has stated an idea, rather than the idea itself. The most obvious example of this fallacy is when one debater maligns the character of another debater (e.g, "The members of the opposition are a couple of fascists!"), but this is actually not that common. A more typical manifestation of argumentum ad hominem is attacking a source of information -- for example, responding to a quotation from Richard Nixon on the subject of free trade with China by saying, "We all know Nixon was a liar and a cheat, so why should we believe anything he says?" Argumentum ad hominem also occurs when someone's arguments are discounted merely because they stand to benefit from the policy they advocate -- such as Bill Gates arguing against antitrust, rich people arguing for lower taxes, white people arguing against affirmative action, minorities arguing for affirmative action, etc. In all of these cases, the relevant question is not who makes the argument, but whether the argument is valid.

It is always bad form to use the fallacy of argumentum ad hominem. But there are some cases when it is not really a fallacy, such as when one needs to evaluate the truth of factual statements (as opposed to lines of argument or statements of value) made by interested parties. If someone has an incentive to lie about something, then it would be naive to accept his statements about that subject without question. It is also possible to restate many ad hominem arguments so as to redirect them toward ideas rather than people, such as by replacing "My opponents are fascists" with "My opponents' arguments are fascist."

I am pretty sure I knew what it meant when I stated it. Its a Republican buzzword because many Dems and Liberals can't refute the idea, thus have to attack the source.

I would also ask you to refute the article...are there lies? Or is it that you just don't like what is said and therefore it must be bad?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 07:59 am
Another critique. Found here

Quote:
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 08:01 am
Fizzle, fizzle, fizzle.... and onward:

It's interesting to compare the attitudes towards Hillary with those towards her hero, Eleanor Roosevelt. ER was seriously unpopular in many quarters -- for having high profile, for being independent, for "making a spectacle of herself," and that oldie, for "not knowing her place." She was also denigrated for her "ugliness" and ungainliness. (Franklin was known to have other women. I mean, who wouldn't, with an uppity, smart-ass wife like that.)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 09:00 am
Good point, Tartarin, re the animus toward Hillary. What do folks like the creator of this thread really have against her? She's a woman!

Compared to their fury toward Hillary, it seems as though they've almost forgotten about Bill, despite the fact that he was president for eight years. Interesting...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 09:09 am
D'artagnan wrote:
Good point, Tartarin, re the animus toward Hillary. What do folks like the creator of this thread really have against her? She's a woman!

Compared to their fury toward Hillary, it seems as though they've almost forgotten about Bill, despite the fact that he was president for eight years. Interesting...

As the creator of this thread, I have plenty more against her than just her being a woman. In fact, her being a woman actually gains her points as I think she has done a lot for women in terms of the glass ceiling and all. I find you remark rather derrogatory of women.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 09:21 am
McGent, Why is it anybody else's business that she chose to stick with her husband? It seems to me she's old enough and smart enough to make that choice for herself. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 09:22 am
I find her to be a self-serving "bitch," but that's my opinion. What she does is her business, and she seems to be doing a pretty darn good job at it. $8 million? To which I reply, Wow! c.i.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 09:31 am
McGentrix: You have an advantage over many of the other Hillary-haters: As a New Yorker, you can vote her out of office. Go for it!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 09:48 am
Oh come off it, McG - what on earth do I have to refute?

Another avenue of thought. Tartarin - It's pretty much the democrat wives. With certain exceptions, most republican's wives are pretty much in the background - some so much so they almost disappear. There was Mamie Eisenhower, poor Pat Nixon, and Laura Bush, whose biggest moments seem to be stepping on and off planes. Of course, there's Barbara Bush, and she wrote a book about a pet. The repubs thought everybody loved her. But there was a brief interlude, in the beginning, when someone got the bright idea of sending top republican ladies out on a tour. The story went that there was a disagreement about who should play first lady - the formidable Barbara Bush, or Laura Bush, whose husabnd was running. And Lynn Cheney did not take kindly to being in a background. There were two or thee others. This tour lasted about as long as the one they sent Jeb's son -"Peach" - out in the belief that he could capture the young female vote. It fizzled.

So - is there a basic difference in the way the republicans view women vs the democrats? We know the republican view is heavily slanted against freedom of choice for women. Watching Bob Dole campaign for his wife was not encouraging.

Which brings us to Hillary Clinton. Book aside - there seems to be fear and loathing, and I wonder if perhaps fear isn't the stronger part of that? It's ancient, perhaps part of the genetic structure.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 09:57 am
mamaj, You mean to imply I'm of a different species? I really believe Hillary has done everything right - for herself. LOL c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 10:00 am
Well, my take on the fear and loathing, Mamaj, is that the country knows the Clintons were horribly badly treated, that most of the country was complicit, and one often feels fear and loathing of those one has victimized. The only way to keep shame at bay is to continue to victimize...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 10:13 am
D'artagnan wrote:
McGentrix: You have an advantage over many of the other Hillary-haters: As a New Yorker, you can vote her out of office. Go for it!

I actually participated in Lazio's campaign in a futile effort to keep Hillary out of my state. Unfortunatly NYC is hugely Democratic and decided to vote her in. The same reason Sheldon Silver keeps getting elected...

You can count on my vote being against Hillary next time around as well.
0 Replies