blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 06:03 pm
McGentrix is sounding more and more like one of the Abuzz uglies
being as nasty as he knows he can get away with on this site quite frankly.
0 Replies

GreenEyes

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 06:06 pm
McG - Hillary has never needed Bill... he in fact needed her.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 06:09 pm
How can we ever know that! Relationships just aren't that uncomplicated...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 06:19 pm
They are like two planets revolving around one another - co-dependent in a lot of ways, yet, at the same time, independent. I would today vote for either of them over any other political figures on the current landscape.
0 Replies

GreenEyes

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 06:35 pm
Tartarin wrote:
How can we ever know that! Relationships just aren't that uncomplicated...

Tar - I was referring to their political relationship... not their personal relationship. I just can't see Bill getting as far as he did without her.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 06:36 pm
I rather think that she could bury any opponent she came up against, if the Democrats would get behind her. Sadly, i don't think that is going to happen any time soon.
0 Replies

GreenEyes

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 07:12 pm
I'm with you Setanta. She will get my vote if and when she does run.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 07:26 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
They are like two planets revolving around one another - co-dependent in a lot of ways, yet, at the same time, independent. I would today vote for either of them over any other political figures on the current landscape.

You will excuse the expression...but...AMEN!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:38 pm
I had a discussion with my students today about whether or not this country was ready for a woman president, or an African american president. It was very interesting to hear what some 19-25 year olds thought (some of them actually do - think, that is).

If Hillary found a way to mount a viable contest against the shrub, I'd vote for her. But if you really think that this country's people are ready to elect a woman to that office, I don't think you're payin' attention (even Tartarin, who's pointed out that her perceptions and sensibilities are oh so much sharper than the average joe or jane).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 09:44 pm
There are plenty of folk who would not vote for a woman or person of color. But, if she came in by the back door - vp first - the scale might just tip enough - - -
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 10:06 pm
Heck, I'd vote for Saddam if he was running. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:12 am
I was interested by what you've written, Snood, about young people. I also suspect that many of them don't vote. What is your take on this? Do you think most of your students are likely to vote?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:42 am
Setanta wrote:
I was interested by what you've written, Snood, about young people. I also suspect that many of them don't vote. What is your take on this? Do you think most of your students are likely to vote?

I think they probably fit the standard for their age demographic - very few of them probably vote. That nonaction (and "nonthought") is something I have begun calling them to task about. In my estimation people my age are generally no more active than they, unfortunately. Nationally, I'm sure statistics would bear out that folks in the 30-55 crowd are far more likely to vote, but I don't think that in itself allows us to take on any moral airs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:49 am
No, it certainly does not--nor was that the thrust of my post. It bothers me that young people do not vote, not simply because they sometimes complain about a process in which they don't participate--but because this removes from the political process a significant voice which is often out of the mainstream. I think we need that. I know of many people who complain that the Greens cost Gore the last election. I don't know that that was necessarily the case. I rather think that many who voted Green would otherwise not have voted.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:17 am
I've been one of those saying I was mad at Nader. My thoughts and feelings about that have changed some, to some degree directly owing to the exchanges I've had with you and others on A2K. Hopefully all of us who see Bush as a detriment will continue to strive for creative ways to reverse the effects he's had.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:20 am
Dumping the bum would help considerably, but i like the implication of yours that we can "reverse the effects"--even in the event of voter idiocy on a vast scale, the Shrub's reelction, all is not necessarily lost . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:39 am
If Setanta is correct in thinking that Nader brought people out to vote who might not have voted otherwise, Nader may have done everyone an unexpected favour. We can hope that those 'new' voters remain interested in government and politics, and that they will see the power of an individual vote, AND then, perhaps, consider voting strategically next time round. Lots of maybes and hope-fors etc., but isn't hope and optimism part of what keeps us going?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 05:54 am
Indeed. Keep hope alive.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 08:48 am
Don't you remember when you were growing up that you couldn't WAIT to vote? Big thrill? Can't imagine growing up now and not caring one way or the other.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 09:24 am
Maybe a consequence for not voting should be added. Like if you don't vote, $100 gets added to your taxes...
0 Replies