Halloween Costumes 2006

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 02:34 pm
My older daughter is going as a flowering bush - made the costume for a school play. Basically it is a green felt cape with silk flowers sewed on it and a matching hat. The younger one is a Disney princess with a (gasp) store bought costume. Quite honestly I like the flowering bush costume much better.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 02:42 pm
Oh and just guess which princess..
0 Replies

sozobe

Ooh, that's gonna be so great Boomer! And fun to make too. The stickers are totally awesome. Maybe I have to get more gadget-y with the guitar, all that disassembly and such sounds great.

The flowering bush sounds really cool, too! Sozlet was going to be something similar-ish -- a flower fairy, basically a dress with tons of silk flowers stuck everywhere. But she decided she wanted to go with the rock star thing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Snow White, perchance? :-D
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 02:56 pm
Yes - I just hope she doesn't accept any apples!
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 03:03 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 03:21 pm
If you're into making your own do-it-yourself costumes, there were some great ideas for both kids and adults on Rachael Rays show last week. Here's a link to them with photos and step-by-step instructions using items in the pantry:

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/?q=homemade-costumes-for-kids
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 03:42 pm
Soz - for the rock chick thing you should really do tattoos. I saw a cool little fake tattoo maker at Target the other day and thought about picking one up just because it looked like fun. They also make some pretty good transfer/stick on tattoos.

Do you remember the movie Desperately Seeking Susan? Madonna carried what I think was a drum case with skull and crossbone designs on it as a purse. (I tried to find a photo but I can't). It would be really easy to make something like that out of a hatbox.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 03:53 pm
Tattoos, for sure! The only thing there is weather -- it's usually at least jacket weather by Halloween, and there won't be much exposed skin. There will be some stuff at school beforehand, though, tattoos can come into play there. (I was basically thinking of tattoo-type leather appliques on the jacket.)

We still have some good temporary tattoos from Target I think, will see if I can find them. (We get them whenever they show up at the $1 Spot.)

I love the drum case idea! Good for the candy. With a hatbox I can cut a hole in the top so she wouldn't have to keep opening it up each time. And if I make a strap for the guitar, shouldn't be too much to carry.

OK, this is shaping up. Thanks!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 03:59 pm
aawwww little Jao looks so precious. What a cutie!!
I am saddend to hear of your husband's deployment though, Jao. Let's
keep our fingers crossed that everything goes well and he'll be back
in no time.

---

Well, I hope we'll get to see pictures of sozlet's costume. She will be
the best "bad" good girl in school, I am sure.

Unfortunately, we have somewhat a dress code - no tatoos, no
constumes with a violent theme, and no offensive language on shirts.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 09:30 am
sozobe wrote:
Doesn't Twain have bushier/ shaggier hair?

Them Southern gents do have more than a passing resemblance to one another, though, don't they...?

Hunter S. Thompson sounds very you, though! Shocked Quite a look you've got there.

Yeah the Colonel had a normal hair style...it looked combed at least...not like Twain's, or mine, but it would be the white suit that would throw people. The average person around here would by far recognize Harland Sanders over Samuel Clemens.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 11:33 am
2Packs, you realize that the more you describe yourself the more we want to see a picture, right?

Pleasepleaseplease?

Stopped at Old Navy and they had some regular grown-up purses/ bags way on sale -- one was black faux leather with a bunch of grommets, looked pretty cool and was cheap and was the right size, got it and will see what sozlet thinks. (For the candy.)
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 05:06 pm
Heh, I started to post a picture last night, but talked myself out of it...the only decent one I have is at my sisters wedding, and I'm dancing to some kind of "Chicken Dance" or something, not my proudest moment, and of course I'm wearing a tux...hardly my normal attire.

I'll post it soon.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:26 pm
Yay!

Looking forward to it.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:06 pm
My kids are too old to go out this year(12 and 14) I always tried to put my foot down and tell my son NO TOY WEAPONS. Surely, every year he wanted a big grim reaper thingy or a large ax. My favorite costume that I made(I have very little skill with needle and thread) was a spider when my daughter was 4. It was easy. Black turtleneck,black leggings and I made 4 arms attached to her shirt. Then she wore gloves that matched the gloves on the extra arms. She was sooo cute. Last year her and her friends went out for the last big hooray and came up with their own ideas. She looked great as a lunch lady and got a lot of laughs from the neighbors.

I love Halloween but don't get near the amount of kids as I remember years back. Then the candy last for months. I swear I'm not buying snickers this year.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:05 pm
http://[URL=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4850/copyofdancinglx9.jpg[/URL][/IMG]
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:10 pm
What a cutie you are, 2 packs. Enjoyable photo...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:55 am
Oh, that's great, 2Packs! Not just you, the whole thing -- the stony-faced young woman, the laughing older woman, and the decidedly sheepish-looking (but game!) you.

Thanks!

Spider sounds very cool, martybarker, and lunch lady too!
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 04:57 pm
Nice pic 2packs. Smile Osso, I just wanted to say thanks, and no worries. It's all good. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 05:13 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies