Halloween Costumes 2006

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:17 pm
What are your kids (or you?) going to be this year?

Sozlet wants to be a rock star. I've been trying to figure out how she defines that -- she seems to really like the look of one of Lindsay Lohan's bandmates in "Freaky Friday." I can't find a picture of how she looked in the scene that sozlet really liked, but this is her in the movie for a general idea:

http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/2003_Freaky_Friday/Thumb/003FRF_Christina_Vidal_002.jpg (The one on the right, Christina Vidal.)

She already has some Converse high tops that are black with a pink stripe -- I think that plus about 6 ponytails all over her head dyed some temporary color or combination thereof (pink, purple, maroon, black, whatever) will be the basics. (We did this once after seeing the movie -- just ponytails, no dyeing -- it was cool. Sozlet has long curly hair, it was a hairdo that just begged for a guitar riff.) Not sure what to put in between. Won't be doing makeup -- glitter, maybe. Jewelry is OK. I always buy Halloween costumes when they hit the clearance racks to give to sozlet for her birthday for dress-up, and we have a truly garish outfit of silver lame (pants, jacket, and newsboy hat) and pink glittery horrible fabric (midriff-baring tank top, scarf). The tank top is just not gonna happen, but one of the silver items can be pressed into service.

She has some really dark blue kinda messed-up jeans (patched rips, some beads) that could work.

She has an inflatable guitar that tends to sag -- I think I might just make a cardboard cut-out and then cut up the guitar and paste it on. Any other ideas? I always MAKE something and I'd love to figure out something to make -- I suggested some kind of elaborate tulle skirt but she wasn't having it.

What do you have up your sleeve?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 10,000 • Replies: 93
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:43 pm
I'm going as a retard.

(I'll get it out of the way already for those "witty" ones: "so you're just dressing normal? LOLOLOL")
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:55 pm
A friend of mine has twin twelve year old girls. They're going as Julius Caesar and Brutus, and re-enacting the death scene on every doorstep. Kinda grisly, but it is Hallowe'en, and I thought it was pretty creative of them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 07:03 pm
My neice and nephew have pirates of the carribean costumes - out of the package. I think this is the first year my sis didn't make some or all of their costumes.
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 07:07 pm
My 7 year old said he is really looking forward to Halloween because that and bonfire night are about the only two interesting nights that he has to look forward to. Made me feel awful when he said that...

Great costume I have bought for him though. He's going as a skeleton [or ghost]...or skeletal ghost...he's really into ghosts at the moment as they feature in one of his PSP games.

Not so very extraordinarily original but what can you do...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 07:12 pm
We bought a toned down catholic version of an "Elvira, Mistress of the dark"
dress for my daughter: black velvet with red edges, and she will accessorize with make-up, jewelry and funky hair-do.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 07:32 pm
This is my son's last year for trick or treating. He is 12. That's long enough. I hate it when gangs of teenagers show up on my doorstep. I'll probably host a Halloween party next year for him & his friends.

Anyway, he's going as a very frightening zombie this year. Fake blood and everything. He will probably scare the little ones half to death. It's a store-bought costume, of course. Anything Mom made would be just TOO embarrassing.

I guess that's one way to know when it's time to stop. :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 08:01 pm
Wow, Tico, that's incredibly creative! I wonder how long the re-enacting will last? Last year sozlet was a "scary witch" and she started out with much baring of teeth and making claw-hands and such but that faded pretty quick.

Pirates, eh? Were they inspired by you, littlek? (Weren't you a pirate recently?)

Tico and Tino, I didn't realize how similar your avatars were in addition to your names, before. Maybe you don't often appear on the same threads? Very confusing! Anyway, a skeletal ghost sounds cool.

Would love to see pictures of Little Jane, Mistress of the Dark!

Eva, I guess scaring little ones half to death is seen as only a positive when you're 12, though... :-) Re: your last line, I know what you mean... sigh...

I probably can focus some of my "make something" energies on the guitar itself -- I realized it will need a strap, too, can use a sari border or something for that. I think the rest of it can probably be assembled out of things she already owns. (Her regular, non-costume, going-to-school outfit today was the hightops I already mentioned, a black t-shirt, and a tiger-print two-tier skort [skirt + shorts].)
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 08:14 pm
I was going to make a joke, and say something like...

"I'm going as Hunter S. Thompson, but since you guys don't know what I look like, that wouldn't be funny to you, so I will just have to laugh alone."

I bear no physical resemblance to Hunter, but I do look like the typical caricature of Hunter...Cowboy hat, sunglasses, cigarette, and often seen with a shotgun. I pulled up a few images of hunter to show my wife...who had never heard of Hunter...then after a short {25min} lecture...Saigon, Nixon, Las Vegas, Rolling Stone, Gonzo...etc...went to Wiki to see exactly when he died. In the article I found the typical caricature I spoke of, and near the bottom of the article I read this.

"Thompson's writing style and eccentric persona gave him a cult following in both literary and drug circles, and Thompson's cult status expanded into broader areas after being twice portrayed in major motion pictures. Hence, both his writing style and persona have been widely imitated, and his likeness has even become a popular costume choice for Halloween.

So, I think I might go as Twain, but then I will spend all night saying...No, I am not colonel Sanders, and even if I were him, I would not tell you what the secret 11 herbs and spices are.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 08:05 am
Doesn't Twain have bushier/ shaggier hair?

Them Southern gents do have more than a passing resemblance to one another, though, don't they...?

Hunter S. Thompson sounds very you, though! Shocked Quite a look you've got there.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 09:40 am
Who ya gonna call?

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/22588~Ghostbusters-Posters.jpg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 09:47 am
How bout something like this soz?

Punk Rock Star
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 01:23 pm
Here's what my munckin will be wearing. Of course he can't seem to stand in it yet since it weighs so much, but he's got a month to get the hang of it. Smile

My husband left for Iraq again for a year a few days ago, so we got him in teh costume early, so daddy could see. Smile

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/Ki-bbum/Other/j3Medium.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/Ki-bbum/Other/j4MediumSmall.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 01:43 pm
Aw, look at that cutie! Great costume, I love the little pointy claws.

Another year, huh? <heavy sigh> I'm so sorry. Have you built up a good support network in Alaska?

Boomer, cool! Is that the costume Mo assembled for himself a while back? Luigi or something?

Bella, that's similar to what we'll be doing but it's just a shade too trashy/ slutty. I wouldn't want the midriff bared or the ripped fishnet.

I'm thinking of making my one purchase some black solid cotton leggings (unripped), that she can wear afterwards too, and then she can wear this Tokyo-inspired dress I got her after Halloween a couple of years back over the leggings, her high tops, a denim jacket she already has that I might customize more, and the ponytail hairdo. Plus jewelry -- I have some leather, thinking of making some simple cuff bracelets and maybe using that to customize the denim jacket (cut out some sort of Eastern-type shape, probably just abstract Indian design, then sew it on the back and maybe more on the sleeves).
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 01:50 pm
Well, I have a group of wives that I'm in charge of ...sorta. I have to call them regularly to make sure they're okay, not depressed, and GETTING OUT OF THE HOUSE.

I thought this tour would be easier because I would have lil J to keep me occupied, but I think it'll be harder.

I find myself praying a lot more already. He'll be doing a job that is more dangerous and will be working directly with Iraqis daily. I don't trust them at all, so my mind keep running in circles.

We filled a jar up with 365 jellybeans. I took the first few out, and I just look forward to it being AT LEAST half full.

aNYWAY, I can't wait to see everyones pics of their little ones in costumes!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 01:56 pm
Oh my.

Are those wives ready to start calling YOU and taking care of YOU?

365 jellybeans...

sigh.

Will be thinking about you guys.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 02:01 pm
sozobe wrote:

Bella, that's similar to what we'll be doing but it's just a shade too trashy/ slutty. I wouldn't want the midriff bared or the ripped fishnet.

I was more thinking about the plaid skirt/leggings, clunky boots and the spiky hair. Not necessarily the midriff.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 02:07 pm
Yeah, it's definitely close to what we're going with. Don't have clunky boots and don't want to buy them, so Converse black + pink high-tops instead (that she already has). She has a skirt that's a lot like that, may end up using it. She has very definite ideas about what she wants, so I'll probably end up presenting her with a variety of possibilities and she'll pick it out. I'll let you guys know what she decides. If you have any other ideas for accessories especially that seem to fit, lay it on me. (I came up with the cuff idea when lookng for "Freaky Friday" pics, Lindsay Lohan wears 'em in one scene.) (Anyone else see that movie? I was pleasantly surprised.)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 02:09 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
I was going to make a joke, and say something like...

"I'm going as Hunter S. Thompson, but since you guys don't know what I look like, that wouldn't be funny to you, so I will just have to laugh alone."

I bear no physical resemblance to Hunter, but I do look like the typical caricature of Hunter...Cowboy hat, sunglasses, cigarette, and often seen with a shotgun. I pulled up a few images of hunter to show my wife...who had never heard of Hunter...then after a short {25min} lecture...Saigon, Nixon, Las Vegas, Rolling Stone, Gonzo...etc...went to Wiki to see exactly when he died. In the article I found the typical caricature I spoke of, and near the bottom of the article I read this.

"Thompson's writing style and eccentric persona gave him a cult following in both literary and drug circles, and Thompson's cult status expanded into broader areas after being twice portrayed in major motion pictures. Hence, both his writing style and persona have been widely imitated, and his likeness has even become a popular costume choice for Halloween.

So, I think I might go as Twain, but then I will spend all night saying...No, I am not colonel Sanders, and even if I were him, I would not tell you what the secret 11 herbs and spices are.

HEY! I never knew Uncle Duke was modeled after Thompson!

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/webpics/uncle_duke.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 02:16 pm
I'm really still in the research stage of costume design but it does riff on the Luigi getup he made a while back.

Right now I'm working on his back pack gun ghost catcher doohicky thing. It is made from an disassembled nerf gun with a flashlight stuck in the open end and a vaccuum cleaner hose at the other end that runs into a back pack. I'm trearing up an ancient (and sadly worthless) studio camera for bits and parts to make dials and headwear, etc. I'll probably use the old film magazine to make a ghost trap for him to collect his candy in. I think it will turn out pretty good.

I did manage to find these cool images on the net and I'll make stickers to put on everything:

http://www.jdhancock.com/images/ghostbusters-labelsL.jpg
0 Replies