The Sopranos

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:43 pm
Naw, you're not an idiot -- the site is getting more complicated so it's making it a bit more difficult to check. I check nearly ever category about once a week even if I'm not as interested.

Here's my most from your other thread about the state of the series:

I don't think the series deteriorated even while getting off track with such scenarios as the Columbus Day Parade which I thought devoted too much time to a storyline that just simple appeared and dissapeared altogether. They've picked up most of the sub-plots and left some unresolved for the final season. I think they spent more time on developing relationships between the characters without resorting to shock. It was a more pensive set of episodes and I suppose they have some events for the final season to knock our socks off.

The actor who plays Furio was on CNN today and couldn't confirm a movie or what will happen next season (the danger of being an actor in the series is that you could get whacked without further notice!)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 08:44 pm
We should see some more votes for Carmela after that powerhouse performance!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:27 pm
That Carmela is a real complex character. Part of the time I'm feeling sorry for her, and part of the time I'm thinking, "Bitch you spend the man's money, and you're still in his house. How hurt can you be?" This reminds me of advice I give to young men. A woman may love you truly.... but this won't stop her from using you.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 01:18 pm
I wish it was ending so quickly. Seems like the season just started and "poof" it's gone.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 05:52 pm
SOPRANOS RERUNS SCHEDULE STARTING WITH SEASON ONE:

HBO SOPRANOS RERUN SCHEDULE
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 06:35 pm
Gezzy,
...That's the sign of engrossing stuff. Don't the shows seem to last about half and hour? I never want to believe the hour's up. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 12:15 pm
I've watched the first three episodes being rerun on HBO -- there's some really great writing here. It's enlightening to see all the characters several years younger and what lead up to the closing episode. Every episode stands on its own.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 01:17 pm
GW,
...so what do you think of "Godfather", "Sopranos", hybrid, "Kingpin"?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 04:19 pm
"Kingpin" was produced by basically the same people as "The Sopranos." It was potent but it was more difficult to get involved with the characters. "The Sopranos" lulls one into their ordinariness like they were some kind of outre "Leave It to Beaver" family, only to pull the rug out from under the whole thing when one least expects it.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 05:00 pm
Yeah, I think "Kingpin" could have benifited from more eposodes, to develope the characters, and sub-plots. And watch out for the brother, Bobby Cannavales, he shines in every supporting role I see him in. a star of the future.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 06:49 pm
There was too much of an untempered mean-spiriteness underlining the show and it wasn't coming off as pulling all the stop out but in decadant overkill. Tony Soprano is played as a warm Teddy bear who happens to kill people. All the characters in "Kingpin" were thoroughly unlikable in their inhumanity. It tried too hard to be sensational.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 07:22 pm
I see your point, but believe it might have suffered from not enough time to balance off the characters more, and from comparison to "the Sopranos".
...I was fascinated by several relationships; The Boss and his wife, The Boss and his brother, the wife, and her sister-in-Law, and my favorite, the young black henchman, that wound up teaming with the fish out of water white guy, with all the personal problems. How could that one not grab you GW? That was such an odd couple. That would have been so much fun stretched out over a season! And neither one was mean spirited. as a matter of fact the kid was your Tony, cuddly, but deadly. The Boss was meant to be more of a Michael Corleone type.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 04:31 pm
Sorry it took time to catch up with my 'puter problem.

It would have the makings of a multi-season series and I think they were testing the waters, partly to see if something that potent would make it on network TV. I'm not savvy to what the ratings were but I wouldn't be surprised that it did not do well. They can't get away with enough on network TV to make it as believable as "The Sopranos." I know I find myself believing that the characters on that show actually exist (just like on "Six Feet Under.")
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 04:39 pm
LW

Six Feet Under is another gem!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:45 pm
"Six Feet Under" was so innovative and could have been moribund to many viewers that Alan Ball wondered if it had a chance -- he was very nervous about the reception to the concept. Boy, was he wrong. It's now the most watched cable series and hasn't waned with innventive scripts (even though one would compare it to a soap opera, it's more of a true life opera). No matter what you think they are going to do, they will ball (sic) you over. Critics complained about the sub-plot and sub-characters that come and go. If that isn't carping! That's what happens in real life -- transitory relationships and chance meetings are a part of life. "The Sopranos" scripts come up with the same storyline asides that come and go. It keeps the viewer on their toes -- some of them aren't suppose to reach a conclusion. It's just not the typical writing one sees on TV so those wanting conventional beginning/middle/end storylines are out of luck.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 03:33 pm
Hey we get The Sopranos here in Britain and I gotta tell ya it goes down big time here you know what I'm sayin'?

Me I love it and I love Carmela. You remember the time, on the first or second series, when she heard a noise and rushed out back with a big automatic assault rifle and nearly killed Meadow who was climbing back in, up a ladder?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 09:41 am
Another comedic moment and I was surprised she didn't wound her! But then it could have been turned into an episode of "Designing Women." Carmela to me is the pivotal character and not Tony. She is the one who debates the morality of the circumstance she finds herself in. Now that she has vowed she's leaving Tony, we know that she was helf captive by his persona -- love takes some strange twists.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 11:21 am
GW,
...Do you realize you could almost be talking about the mom in "Six feet Under'? ...Who happens to be my favorite character, in that.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 04:59 pm
Quite true about Mom in "Six Feet Under" -- she is the ballast of the group even when she gets slightly nutty. Carmela even counsels the Catholic priest and adds her own brand or rationalization to everything that occurs.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 05:49 pm
No announcements so far on when the next season starts so we are getting endless repetitive re-runs. I guess Tony put out a contract on the brass at HBO and we haven't heard what's holding up the last season nor if it is truely the final season. Ah, well, back to "Six Feet Under" which is getting very involved and I'm waiting for something really off-the-wall to happen.
0 Replies