Dutchy

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 04:41 am
@Tai Chi,
Interesting to read all your detailed descriptions. Will you be ready for the winter coming up? I've heard it can be pretty cold up your way. Best wishes from downunder.
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 08:13 am
@Dutchy,
Hi Dutchy -- nice to hear from you. Interior wall framing is done so the plumbers come for some roughed in work next week (drains I think) and then the electrician. Once we have power we can get a pump into the well and hook up the water heater and supply lines etc. Once they're done we'll be calling the propane people about a heater in the kitchen -- we want an alternative to electricity for when the power goes out (semi-regularly) and know that as we get older hauling wood in for a wood stove might not be an option -- besides we can't chance going away in the winter and having the power go out if all we have is electric heat. Hopefully we'll have heat in the new part before October. Anyone have any idea why my photobucket account will load but then goes to a blank page every time I try to upload photos? Probably not the right place to ask this question eh? Not sure if opening a new account would be the answer....
ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 11:27 am
@Tai Chi,
<sitting on the stoop, waiting for an update>
Tai Chi

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 05:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Still having computer issues -- cannot send photos -- but...I got me some of that thar indoor plumbing!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 05:55 pm
@Tai Chi,
Indoor plumbing?

I'm coming inside!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2013 06:54 pm
Me too.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 11:45 am
Everything came together in one very busy day for Mr. Fixit. I was at work and missed all the excitement but he did call me mid-morning to let me know that the well conversion had gone off without a hitch – our biggest worry. So at one point there were 11 tradesmen + Mr Fixit acting as general contractor: 4 plumbers, 1 electrician and 6 heavy equipment operators/dump truck drivers/labourers. It was a wonderful ballet of cooperation. The excavator operator worked with the plumbers to remove the old pump from the well – pump and nearly 90 feet of pipe had to be pulled straight up using the excavator bucket: pull up, clamp off so it can’t fall back in, cut off the removed bit, pull up some more, clamp off, etc. The plumbers are a family business and the sons had never done a well conversion so the dad came out to supervise. The good news is that the well casing is in good shape, they were able to get the new pump down around 65 feet and it looks like there will be plenty of water. Water heater, pressure tank, UV disinfection system and filters are all in place. The filter bed was finished next (oh hang on there were 12 guys in addition to Mr Fixit as the health unit fellow showed up to inspect the tank and filter bed) and then, before the excavator left, the driveway was dug out and crushed gravel spread and packed. (We’ve got a real driveway!) The Mr. meanwhile was trying to wire a switch and with all the distractions it took him 2 and a half hours ☺
We’ve been really lucky with the people we’ve used on our various projects. Same company as for the garage did the excavation and cement footings, then the septic and filter bed, then the driveway (and helped pull out the old well). They also did a good job of grading around the foundation and contouring at the side so that hopefully the water will drain away properly (as it did not in the existing landscape). The guys who did our block foundation and the trusses were a serendipitous find – they were working on a project down the road and we talked them into taking on our very small job. The Mr. met the plumbers when he was working on the renovation job the last two winters. The electrician was recommended when we needed someone for the garage and nobody we called had time for a small job. He agreed to come out as long as he could bring his dog. Ruby was a fixture this time as well and the Mr. is quite taken with her (I have only seen photos – drat this working for a living – I am missing all the fun).
The first people we met when we took possession of the schoolhouse over 6 years ago (we came up in April and there was still snow on the ground) was a couple walking their elderly dog. They have a younger dog now – another really lovely dog – and the husband has been giving the Mr. a hand with sheathing, roofing, and the framing inside. He’s retired and champing at the bit to come back and help with the insulating and drywall. So we have been very, very lucky with help and as a bonus the Mr. gets to enjoy other people’s well behaved good tempered dogs.
And…..drum roll please…the washing machine gets delivered this week. I’m writing this at the Laundromat having left the Mr. at home trying to figure out how to install the shower doors. I may never have to come here again! And future sauna’s may be just for fun!
And…as if the week couldn’t get any better…dj brought our Mom up for a visit. He’s been trying to help me figure out what’s the deal with photobucket and now I’m getting similar issues with hotmail. Turns out it may be a server issue and not in fact anything wrong with my computer. Will download a different browser next time I have the internet and see if that makes any difference. Who knows? There may be photos in your future.

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 11:46 am
ehBeth and osso please be discreet -- we cannot "occupy" the space until the siding and insulation etc are in place (yeah...right...)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 12:11 pm
@Tai Chi,
What a great day! So good to read all that, Tai. Mr. must be very pleased.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 02:51 pm
Baby Face, You've got the cutest little baby face. Miss you and dj, gal
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2013 03:31 pm
@Tai Chi,
Hi Tai Chi, another interesting part of your 'adventure'. Thank you.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 03:02 pm
Know what happens when you buy a brand new washing machine? Your 4 year old fridge dies and it will cost half what you paid for it to fix it.... Mad
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 03:05 pm
@Tai Chi,
Dammit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2013 03:32 pm
@Tai Chi,
well poop
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 08:03 am
@ehBeth,
yeah, but indoors!

Just off to look at fridges before we decide what to do. Looks like our circuit board (among other issues...) got fried in a recent lightning storm so now that everything is electronic we'll need surge protectors on just about everything!
ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2013 01:01 pm
@Tai Chi,
fridges have circuit boards? good grief
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 08:39 am
@ehBeth,
Nice to know I am not the only homeowner who only thought you had to protect the TV and computer from power surges Smile

Decided to repair the youngish fridge. Went to the city last weekend and Crappy Tire was having a sale on good surge protectors -- also got a multimedia one. We had some wicked storms and it fried our phone as well. Geez. So surge protectors on the fridge, washer, UV water disinfection system as well as all the usual electronic stuff -- because you know now everything is electronic.

Will hope to have some photos in a week or so. The siding is all on and has one coat of stain. Walls are insulated -- ceilings are next. The propane tank has arrived and the wall furnace will be installed next week and just as well as we have had some nights down around freezing.
Tai Chi

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 02:18 pm
@Tai Chi,
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_1422_zps41b24c06.jpg
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 09:41 am
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_1447_zps50df7f70.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 12:48 pm
@Tai Chi,
Whoo! Good to get to see photos, thanks, Tai.
0 Replies