Fest1985

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 04:24 am
I think you should rebuilt it and make it real house where you can live with comfort.
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 08:33 am
@Fest1985,
Hmmm
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 09:00 am
@Tai Chi,
made me laugh!
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 07:33 am
@ossobucotemp,
Jeez can't figure out how to navigate here anymore. Just a quick note to say check your mailbox for a xmas card!

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2017 09:31 am
@Tai Chi,
she hasnt been around for a while. Maybe her puter's on the injured reserve
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 07:39 am
@farmerman,
Thanks Farmerman. I will have to rely on the US Postal service I guess :-)

Merry Christmas!!
ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 09:55 am
@Tai Chi,
Merry Christmas to the schoolhouse dwellers !
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 10:20 am
@ehBeth,
me too111 any moose around the hoose?
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 05:29 pm
@farmerman,
No moose but three very chunky deer browsing in the yard the other day and Mr Fixit saw one of "our" resident flying squirrels very early this morning cleaning up left over peanut bits (left by the chickadees).
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 20 May, 2021 04:14 pm
10 year anniversary of our move to the island today. Where did the time go?
margo

Reply Fri 21 May, 2021 01:04 am
@Tai Chi,
Wow!!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2021 03:27 pm
@Tai Chi,
10 years already?! Are you guys still considered the *new* people?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2021 08:57 pm
@Tai Chi,
Whoa !
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2021 07:46 am
Hi Margo, Joeblow and ehBeth. Yeah there have been a lot of changes. One thing that has remained the same is the lousy internet connections. I use a little wireless pay as you go device for our own use and connectivity is pretty sad. Trees are all in leaf so it's been a bad week. A cell tower to the north of me and one to the south -- me in the middle surrounded by dense forest and I still cannot access facebook.

(My company provided a turbo stick so I could work from home. I was having some issues so IT asked me to do a speed test. They can't understand how I manage to accomplish anything! I do NOT want to go back to the office so who knows I may retire sooner rather than later.)

Funny thing Joeblow -- four lots to the west of us have all sold in the last couple of years and are being developed. Nearest neighbours said something about accessing the water via their property being no issue because "after all you were here first".

Our nearest Haweater neighbour was talking about how many folks move here and then don't last and then, realizing he was musing to Mr Fixit. said "oh not you -- you've both made a life here" .

Covid has made things difficult though. We just are not seeing as many people. Mr Fixit has retired and I am working from home so it is quiet. We have not been off the island in 7 months but now that the stay at home order is lifted are considering a short trip to Espanola just for a little more grocery variety.

Joeblow

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2021 08:03 am
@Tai Chi,
I hope you take the trip Smile We make the drive to Port Perry every once in a while to stock up on local beef and chicken etc. They sell massive corned beef sandwiches for about 5 bucks too, and we always find a pretty place to stop on the way home to sit on the tail gate under a tree. Sometimes I give him half my pickle Smile Who would have thought it would become a favourite outing. Things change eh? I like it AND I think that a few new or favoured treats are a balm for the soul sometimes. Hahaha. I mean it. Very exciting Very Happy

Yeah, we've got to get you retired if you want it. I pulled the plug December 1st, just before Covid hit us here, so 18 months now. I think I finally embraced it all just last week. I was sitting on the back deck, in the sunshine, drinking a light beer at 4:00 in the afternoon and thinking that I felt like a teenager again. Before sleep the night before, mrjoe said "back to work tomorrow" and I actually thrilled at the notion that it wasn't true.

I went back and read the whole thread again in its entirety. I'm just going to mention that more pictures are warranted!
Tai Chi

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2021 08:44 am
@Joeblow,
Ah well the whole photo thing is problematic. There have been a few new developments. A screen house last spring when I started working from home kept Mr Fixit outdoors and away from my bad language while I worked the bugs out :-) It is a great place now to kick back after dinner away from black flies and mosquitos. He also covered the front porch with rough cedar and built a ramp also. This will make it easier as we get older and is already great for simply wheeling fire wood to the front door in a wheelbarrow. Oh and there is a garden shed as well for all of the outdoor tools. He has been keeping himself busy.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2021 09:02 am
@Tai Chi,
He sounds a lot like me in this respect. I've been making changes to make old age easier, such as putting in a ramp, etc.
Joeblow

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 06:20 am
@Tai Chi,
Aw man, it sounds ideal
Tai Chi

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 03:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yep edgar -- always best to do these things while you still can.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 04:01 pm
@Joeblow,
So far, so good. And with the insane house prices down south it's not as if we could move back!