0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:39 pm
Exciting times! Good luck.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 01:32 pm
Goodbye good luck goodbye!
Whenever anyone left our neighborhood, we would all stand on the ends of our driveways and wave and wave and wave even after the van or truck or VW microbus full of guitars and parachutes was long long gone. Fare thee well.
Joe(I'm still waving)Nation
Joeblow

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 08:16 am
@Joe Nation,
(Joins Joe on the driveway)

(Waves like crazy)

Happy trails!

Write soon!

Good luck!
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 09:02 am
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0804.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0809.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0815.jpg

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 09:12 am
I will apologize off the top for the size of this post. I have very little access to the internet and cannot afford to be kicked off this thread for “flooding”.

As of yesterday, Mr. Fix-it and I have been on the island for 4 weeks. Loading the moving truck was pretty straightforward with the help of one of Mr. Fix-it’s fellow students, a neighbour, our son and his girlfriend and a couple of his buddies. Mr. Fix-it enjoyed driving the big truck – but really, did there need to be a picture of a big sailing ship on fire on the side of it? A bit ominous, really.

Djjd was already on the island when we arrived. As we drove by a neighbour’s place (someone we hadn’t met yet) he phoned ahead to another neighbour and they both showed up just after we got here to help unload. I guess it seemed like most boxes coming off the truck were marked “books” as one fellow remarked, “You know, we do have libraries here on the island.” The bookshelves have come in handy though as room dividers.

Djjd stayed for 2 weeks and we got a lot done. First order of business was the mailbox. The Mr. installed the roof vents while djjd shop-vacced the attic and then it was insulated. This would have been a hellish job without dj’s help as the bales barely fit through the attic access but with 3 of us (dj in the attic, Mr. Fix-it half way up the 12 foot ladder and me shoving batts of insulation skyward from the bottom) it was manageable. It’s weird not to hear the rain on the roof anymore but it’s going to be great to be warm this winter.

There was lots of work inside too. There was a lot of arranging and re-arranging too much furniture. (Still doing that…) We got our pictures/photos/prints hung. There’s still a lot of stuff in our garage-in-a-box but we’re hoping to have a real garage before it snows.

I’ll post some photos of our kitchen window replacement. We got some nearly new windows from Mr. Fix-it’s sister and brother in law. (They’re doing their own major renovation – it must be genetic.) Turns out the window was a teensy too wide for a simple insert so the whole shebang had to come out. This gave us an opportunity to see how the building was constructed (looking on the bright side). There is about 9 inches of concrete, an air space, then lath and plaster. There are some small stones in the concrete but not the large rubble we were told to expect so that’s good news for cutting a door into the back wall eventually. And the wood beams etc were in great shape so that was great to know too.

Previous photos are as follows:

Window out from the inside.

Window out from the outside.

New window installed from inside.

Mr. Fix-it didn’t want to go through all that work with the other two small windows so we ordered small inserts when we ordered the 4 huge windows for the west wall. Our cache of gently used windows will be used in the garage. Speaking of which…we’ve got a building permit for the money pit (aka garage). Sitting watching the news the other night, the anchor was going on about the unprecedented amount of debt Canadians are racking up. “Gosh,” I quipped to Mr. Fix-it, “is everybody building a garage?” Do you have any idea what cement is worth? Spent the day trimming trees around the building site and so a dump truck can get to our garden site to dump the topsoil that will be removed (10 to 14 inches of topsoil before you hit limestone – that’s for Farmerman).

In other news, we are still mouse free but the snakes are giving us grief. There have been 4 incursions INTO the building. Luckily only small snakes are trying to get in – garters and ring necks -- and they have been quickly swept back out the door. When Mr. Fix-it and dj were working on the window Mr. Fix-it saw movement in his peripheral vision. It was a fox (or maybe milk) snake twining up the copper cable that runs from the ground to the lightening rod on the roof. Yesterday he found a tree frog in the kitchen. Is there some biblical plague of reptiles and amphibians nobody’s told me about?

Off to an auction. Will hopefully post tomorrow when we go to town for the market and fish truck (and groceries, and the Laundromat, and, and, and…)

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 09:18 am
@Tai Chi,
Good news that you're safely installed ... and the attic is insulated.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 02:51 pm
@Tai Chi,
ww, an island underlain by limestone. Thats significant cauase limestone usually forms pinnacles and sinkholes in the presence of subsurface water.
Is that depth solid limestone or just broken up chunks? Do you have yellow and grey horizontal lines in your soil test pits?

What part of the province are you in ? Did you get a canoe yet? (All Canajuns gotta have canoes). They made me buy one soon as I crossed over into St STephens
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 03:11 pm
@Tai Chi,
So good to hear from you, wooops.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:19 am
@Tai Chi,
Love seeing the pictures and hearing the news. And I'm just wowed that the neighbour saw you coming and called ahead to another neighbour so they could come greet you and help out. Fantastic. Lovely thing, that. As it should be. Perfect.

Two weeks of help from dj, too. He's the best, isn't he?

Does it feel like home yet?
Joeblow

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:41 am
@Joeblow,
Auction!

Please tell me about it. My local auction barn shut down a few years back now and I'm still in withdrawal.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 04:36 pm
It’s great to get some feedback. I was hoping this thread would not become a vanity blog.

ehBeth, I think of you every Friday when we pick up whitefish in town. Purvis Fisheries recently created a value added product that I think you would like – a smoked whitefish spread. It’s definitely not slimming – it’s made with mayonnaise and cream cheese – but the Mr. and I tried it and it was really good. I’ll ask if it’s available off-island next time I see them.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0884.jpg

Hi osso! I think of you every time I battle the ants with my jumbo bag of diatomaceous earth. It traveled to my local Agromart all the way from Albuquerque.
Hello Farmerman. Our place is on Manitoulin Island in northern Ontario, about 2 hours from Sudbury. The island is an alvar. The limestone is really close to the surface. We’ll be nosing around in the middle of nowhere and find what we think is pavement or an old airstrip or something, but it’s just limestone at the surface. There were no yellow or grey stripes in our test pits, just black topsoil and then brown loamy soil. There is some clay around so we hear but we don’t have any. I’ll try and take some decent photos once we start excavation.
Re: the canoe, we recently traded it for a truck cap. On the island a truck and cap is more essential than a canoe.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0888.jpg

Joeblow our neighbours are indeed pretty great. I’ll try and post a photo of our mailbox and the cows – which I am informed are called cattle, as they are beef cattle and not milk cows. What I wonder is one animal called if not a cow?
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0885.jpg

The auction was a hoot. It was just down the road and there were 4 people’s stuff. Our go-to neighbour was assisting the auctioneer and Mr. Fix-it got deputized to help out. They spent three hours holding up items so people could see them while the auctioneer took bids. Everybody knows who Mr. Fix-it is now. (“Hey who’s the new guy who got suckered into helping?”) He was tired when we got home. We did get an old wine barrel to re-purpose as a rain barrel.
Saturday we went to a Pow Wow near Wikwemikong, famous for being the only unceded Indian territory in Canada, I think. That is to say, it is not reserve land handed over to the First Nation by the Crown but was in fact never ceded to the government in the first place. The opening ceremonies are always really moving as they are so respectful and appreciative of their elders and especially veterans. Hopefully I can post some photos of the dancers. And the food! Fry bread – so good tasting, so bad for you…And it’s a small world as two people we met at the auction were dancing at the Pow Wow.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0873.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0852.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0839.jpg
Speaking of food, we were invited to Abby’s for brunch on Sunday by the people having the auction to thank Mr. Fix-it for his help. (I mentioned Abby’s in an earlier post and its native cuisine night menu.) The food was terrific and it was a nice gesture and great to socialize a bit even if I looked like I had been through the wars. Thanks to all the sunshine I’ve been exposed to I’d developed a hard-to-miss cold sore on my bottom lip. Then there was the giant lump on my neck from a horse fly bite, and what I think was a small spider bite on one cheek. (djjd has just snorted out loud. Not that cheek, wise guy. He knows I check under the toilet seat diligently ever since spying a rather large spider in the outhouse.) In the battle of Tai Chi vs. the Insect Kingdom I was vastly outnumbered and within days got to meet a very nice medical intern at the local clinic after the area under my left eye “blew up”. I don’t know what bit me just under my lower eyelid but the swelling was really scary and when it hadn’t gone down after 24 hours I got it checked out. Luckily there was no secondary infection. Nothing but time worked for the swelling though. (I know y’all were hoping for a photo. Tough.) So now even though it makes me look like a dweeb I wear my bug net whenever I’m clearing brush or working around and under the cedars – better than looking like an alien.

It will get busy soon. We were hoping to pick up our window order tomorrow (and post this!) but it doesn’t sound like they’ll be ready. Likely we’ll get the call the same day the cement guys arrive to start excavating for the garage. Oh yeah, best laid plans. (osso will love this…) We wanted slab on grade. Got told we’d need an engineer’s report before a permit could be issued. Told we wouldn’t need an engineer’s report if we did block on footings. Hardly anybody does block around here anymore though. Thought we’d like south-facing clerestory windows. Nobody at the truss company knew what we meant. Oh and the truss company has been sold and we can’t order direct anymore. So we talked to our building supply guy (I guess he’ll get our truss order) about buying some tentex (no idea how that’s spelled – it’s for expansion between what will now be our “floating” cement floor and the walls) and he doesn’t carry it but says we can get it from the cement guy (that would be the cement guy we’re not using…) <sigh>

Reality has set in and our dreams of a really arty space have morphed into a rather run-of-the-mill garage with studio space. Warning. There will be photos!

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 05:57 pm
@Tai Chi,
mmmmmmmm I love that spread - they had some at the Royal in November. Love love love Purvis Fisheries. Good people.

One of my favourite pieces in my living room is from an antique barn near Wikwemikong. It's a mission oak library ladder. There was a great adventure getting it back to Sudbury in the old Civic. I had a dent in my shoulder for at least a week.

Great pix from the pow wow.

Sounds like you and your bug net are settling in.

Mr. Fix-it settled before he got there eh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 06:48 pm
@Tai Chi,
Mmmmmmmmm, that spread sounds good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 07:01 pm
@Tai Chi,
No clerestory, even small ones? Schniff.

You write well, Tai, it's like we're there with you. Figure that we are, in a way.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 04:20 pm
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0890.jpg

So it’s been an interesting week. If this has been posted, we’re back in Sudbury ordering more windows. The four big (very big) windows are installed and look great. It’s so nice to have working windows with proper screens that actually keep the mosquitoes out. It will be really nice to finish painting all the trim and get furniture back into place. I’m tired of living in a construction zone. Where possible we have reused original trim and mouldings. The old panes are stored for possible re-use as a cold frame someday. I’d like to “frame” one pane of wavy glass and hang it in one of the new windows.
We started working on the small windows today. Come on, you know things were going too well. They don’t fit. And it was our mistake. The Mr. wanted to commit hara kiri (and who would have to clean up that mess, I wonder?) but I suggested that the windows could be used in the back of the garage (making it more difficult to break in as they don’t open) and we could order new ones. So…one crisis averted.
The garage is already behind schedule. We have been getting a lot of rain. Our cement guy is behind but hopefully will start next week, mid-week. I thought the Mr. was crazy when he predicted that we wouldn’t be moving anything in to the garage before Christmas but now I’m thinking he was just being realistic.
Hopefully my next post will include photos of the excavation work.

0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 04:25 pm
I see I forgot the "before" pictures:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0818.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0820.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/taichi_photos/IMG_0823.jpg

We lived with this temporary window for 3+ weeks.
msolga

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:35 pm
@Tai Chi,
Good to hear from you, Tai! Smile
I somehow missed your post before these last two & am now catching up ....

I'm mightily impressed with the work that's been done, the progress you've made. Even though things are moving too slowly for you.

Mr ex-College Guy is a wonder. What can't he do? Such a handy person to have around! Wink
Your new, big windows look wonderful & I'm certain they make a big difference to your comfort & enjoyment of your new home. Beats those temporary windows any day!

Looking at your (interior) "before" photograph, your place already looks so lived in, you seem so established already, despite all the work going on around you.

There are so many things I'd like to ask you about your new life, but I'll restrict myself to a few questions. Don't worry if you haven't the time to respond, OK?

Remember how apprehensive you felt just before the move? Has all that anxiety subsided now? (I suspect most of it would have.)

And, apart from renovating most of the time, how do you spend the rest of your days? Assuming that there's some time left over, that is! Smile

I guess I'm just interested to know how you feel, what your thoughts are, about such a big change of lifestyle.
A whole new life.

Good luck with getting as much work done as possible before the weather cools & winter sets in.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:39 pm
Love and funnies to you both, but then you know that. Keep posting, keep posting.

0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 07:48 am
Hello ehBeth, osso and msolga! Just in to town to do laundry and check out the library book sale (now to sneak the new pile into the house before Mr. Fix-it sees them... Wink )

You would have loved the auction ehBeth. A quarter sawn oak table with 2 drawers went for $2. Yes, two bucks. Everybody there was looking for tools, not furniture. The Mr was giving me the evil eye and I figured he meant "don't you dare bid, we have too much junk now" but later it was "why didn't you bid on that table?" I figure if I had jumped in with a bid, the table would have climbed to some astronomic price. You never know.

osso, we have downsized our expectations considerably due to time (and, let's face it, financial) constraints. It will be okay.

msolga, I have thought about writing a short description of my day. Not sure I can marshall my thoughts quite well enough just now.