Joeblow

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 04:32 pm
Thanks for the update and all the pictures. The wasp nests are crazy beautiful and still I'm glad they're gone. Ain't nature wunnerful?

The only complaint I can muster about it all is the obligatory trip to the outhouse in the dead of winter. It would certainly keep the tea drinking to a minimum on a cold winter night!
Tai Chi

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 08:18 pm
@Joeblow,
Well, there's always
http://www.mygrannysatticantiques.com/assets/images/enamelware_chamber_pot2.jpg

Seriously, it's a trade off -- cold weather means lots of hot beverages but we all know what that means!
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 06:08 am
@Tai Chi,
How and the hell did I miss this thread all these years? I cant say anything but "Way to go" It takes me back to when we moved into our farm house. You will look back and say that "It wasnt to hard and I would do it again but only after a significant break "

One of Thomas Edisons many money losing ideas was the manufacture and sales of concrete homes . He started many of these (there werent many) in some muncicipal buildings and homes in NEw ENgland and New Jersey. DO you think that yours could be one of EDisons"? Be interesting to find out .

Neat Neat Neat.
djjd62

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 06:16 am
@farmerman,
i was surprised it had escaped your attention, they move there for good in about a month
Izzie

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 06:27 am
@Tai Chi,
I have such massive respect and admiration for you guys - you are amazing... AMAZING

am in awe...
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 09:45 am
@farmerman,
I don't imagine it's an Edison building farmerman. There are many poured concrete buildings on the island. I know of at least 3 other schools and we see many homes. There's a lot of sand and gravel around.

Still lots of work to do. I suspect I will say "never again" when it's all over.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 09:46 am
@Izzie,
Thanks Izzie. I just hope we're still married by the time it's done Very Happy

(Or should that be Drunk ...)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 09:53 am
@djjd62,
WELL, Her thread is several years old and it just escaped me. I gotta learn to visit new topics more frequently.
Tai Chi

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:42 pm
Update: just back from a quick trip to the schoolhouse to put up and floor our plastic garage. (We're moving a 4 bedroom house to 700 square feet. Even though we've been culling you just know there's going to be over flow...) Only a week to go. What, me worry?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 07:04 pm
@Tai Chi,
you've got

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 07:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks ehBeth -- but this might be more appropriate Cool :

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 08:38 pm
@Tai Chi,
Good luck with the move, Tai!
This is so exciting!
So what now? A super-duper last minute cull?
If so, good luck with that, too!
Tai Chi

Reply Wed 11 May, 2011 05:28 am
@msolga,
Off to the Sally Ann with some stuff this morning, msolga Very Happy
msolga

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 05:50 am
@Tai Chi,
Moving time any minute now, Tai?
djjd62

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 06:05 am
@msolga,
i head up wednesday, to be there when they arrive on thursday
Tai Chi

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 06:33 am
@djjd62,
We see the lawyer this morning. Just got off the phone with U-Haul and the truck is ready and waiting. My left eye has started jumping uncontrollably. Mr Fix-it dissolves into hysterical chortles whenever he meets my eye across a sea of boxes. Good times.
msolga

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 07:22 am
@Tai Chi,
Well good luck to you & Mr Fix-it, Tai!
You're gonna be fine!
And that uncontrollable eye will settle right down ... soon.
I hope! Smile

Can't wait for your first posts after you settle in!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 07:23 am
@djjd62,
Good on you, dj!
(You're such a good brother.)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 12:31 pm
I am raging jealous.

that looks absolutely fantastic. I can see why you fell in love with it in the first place.
I hope you enjoy yourself! i really really do!! Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 03:50 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

WELL, Her thread is several years old and it just escaped me.

I'm with FM here, and I am embarrassed to have missed it all these years!

You've done a wonderful job telling the renovating story with your photos. I hope you continue with them, even after you move in TC!

You've encountered a lot of hard work bringing the old schoolhouse up to liveable standards. Amazing, and daunting!

And, I can imagine that moving from your current 4 bedroom house to 700 sq ft is a huge change for you. May I ask, what prompted you to do it?

Well done! I hope we will still hear from you from time to time, one way or another. You obviously have jacked in the retail job job, huh? Laughing
0 Replies