Can you fall in love with someone you've never met?

Sglass

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 01:27 pm
I'm in love with one of Gustave R.'s rats. He posted a pic on a pm and I haven't been the same since.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 03:31 pm
I'm sure it wasn't the pic. I think it was the 1960's!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 03:37 pm
In Belgrade? That was 1853.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 03:42 pm
[confused] ??? Confused
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 03:51 pm
I don't remember the 60's Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 03:55 pm
Laughing I didn't think so!
0 Replies

rooftops

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 07:18 pm
@honey rose cr,
i had the same experience, except i was 14.
my best friend gave me a screen name (AIM) that was supposedly nick jonas.
i completely fell in love
so was he
turns out it was my best friend
PRETENDING to be him.

horrible 4 months of my life.
still affects me to this day.
0 Replies

lil bones

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:07 am
@honey rose cr,
Yes in a word it is, but there are all types of love, the one thing you have to make sure of is if this person is being genuine with you, and if he is, then you are,,, I often hear people say we fall in love at first sight, but i'm not a big believer in that, i mean for one thing how can you love someone you don't know at sight, that to me is a chemical reaction we have to other's that go back to basic instincts of our race, but to love someone that takes a deeper connection, getting to know the person without all the trappings of sex, finding out who they are on the inside,,, but as you say, you and your online buddy live on different continents, and your not sure if you would ever meet, in that case, you don't tell this person how you feel, you love him enough to be happy for him no matter what he choses & be his friend....

good post
0 Replies

jockstewart

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 08:27 pm
@honey rose cr,
OK just bumped into this, and upfront confession, I'm a dad, 5 kids, 23 ,18, 16,13,12. Everything about him? over text on the web? Life is so much more. You are typing, He appears to be LISTENING to you,gives you ATTENTION maybe for his own reasons. It's VERY easy to gain confidence and more with the written word on the net. You WILL find someone who will LISTEN to you in REAL life and fulfil your dreams (maybe not for life but for a period in your life I hope!) Get OFF the net for love, get into your community for opportunities for love, DO THINGS,TALK to people around you. Check the web for many other things though! Very best wishes for the present and future Honey Rose! Kevin M
Melodyzhong

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 05:54 am
@honey rose cr,
i think u should calm down. after all ,u two haven't met. he might lied to u, you don't know him actually. think twice before u fall in love with a guy u've never met. for safe, i suggest u to arrange a data with him and to start to know him out the internet,be realistic,i mean.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 09:41 am
I see no insurmountable problems with falling in love with a persona, at least no more insurmountable problems than what you might find over time when falling in love with (what you think is) the person you are falling in love with.................

Why?

Because quite simply most people put their best foot forward when they are the romance-stage, so they are not whom they appear to be; plus the fact that you never know another's heart, plus the fact that you can never even really know yourself!

Romance is a gamble at best; and the most you can hope to do is maybe-sometimes stack the cards in your favor.
0 Replies

r0xxxy Rave

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 10:22 pm
@flushd,
abt the addicting part Very true im addicted to the internet just recognized my problem &tryin to deal with it Sad addiction cost me alot im falling all my classes &to think i used2be a A+&b- student damn i need to get my priorities straight! Grrrrrr! Roxxxy+Gaz=l4e
0 Replies

xxkerry18xx

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 03:07 am
@honey rose cr,
i have just hadthe same thing, i loved this guy that i have never met than any of my previous bfs. He told me the feeling was mutual and this went on for about a year. We dont live majorly far away but still. Anyway i was on his tagged page and found he was trying it on with my friends and various other lasses close to him. He then told me it wasn't going to work and that was that, i am heartbroken!!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 04:14 am
@jockstewart,
jockstewart wrote:

OK just bumped into this, and upfront confession, I'm a dad, 5 kids, 23 ,18, 16,13,12. Everything about him? over text on the web? Life is so much more. You are typing, He appears to be LISTENING to you,gives you ATTENTION maybe for his own reasons. It's VERY easy to gain confidence and more with the written word on the net. You WILL find someone who will LISTEN to you in REAL life and fulfil your dreams (maybe not for life but for a period in your life I hope!) Get OFF the net for love, get into your community for opportunities for love, DO THINGS,TALK to people around you. Check the web for many other things though! Very best wishes for the present and future Honey Rose! Kevin M

Guys can fall in love with a mental image
which is ASSUMED to correspond to its human
and " absence makes the heart grow fonder. "
0 Replies

clintwirth

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 06:17 pm
@NoNe,
For someone not trying to be rude, you're doing a lousy job. Just the fact that you called half the people on here losers mean you're not exactly Mr Sensitivity
0 Replies

thedistantwaterfall

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 11:39 am
I met this guy online in 2006, we have talked soooo much online, via txt, and on the phone. He used to live 4.5 hours away, but I moved to our state's capital and now he's only about 2-3 hours away.

He's been a really great friend. Someone I could talk to and vent to about other past relationships. We have so much in common. He and I would both watch certain shows on television and txt each other about them while they were on.

He and I both recently in the past few months became single and now we find we really like each other a lot. However, we have never met in person and due to both our financial situation at present time cannot for a couple more months. We both are trying to trade in our automobiles for something more reliable. Mine is about to fall apart and I missed the Cash For Clunkers thing that just happened. Anyway, I am wondering if, when given this information, is it possible to have fallen for someone in this situation?

I'm not a loser...I'm just sick of all the losers I have met and dated in the past. I'm ready for someone who fits me better intellectually and he seems to.

Thanks.......
Treya

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 06:27 am
@thedistantwaterfall,
Can you fall for them? Sure. The question you need to ask yourself is have you fallen for the "ideal" of this person or who they really are? A long time ago I talked to someone online for probably four years before meeting him. I thought I "knew" him knew him, like he was one of my closest friends. After actually spending time in person with him though it turned out he wasn't at all who he presented himself to be online. Not even close. At times I've felt the internet is like an alternate universe where people can go to be who they'd really like to be in real life but for whatever reason can't be or are afraid to be. You've just got to be careful. The internet is definitely a place where predators lurk looking for naive people who will trust them purely on what they say. It's a dangerous game.
0 Replies

minxter

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 02:32 pm
@NoNe,
"why the hell whould a normal dude without complexes and low self esteem spend time at his computer chatting to some strange girl upto the point "he is in love" with her". ???

I'm online "dating" a 1st Sgt in the US Army, in Iraq - the Army deploys for a year @ a time - they get 14 days leave for the entire year. I don't know how familiar a genius like you is with the Middle East, but it's not exactly "Club Med".

So whilst "Losers" like him live for the next IM, email or call, so's you can ponce about in your retarded little orbit being "Interesting" & "Good Looking" (highly unlikely) he's putting his life on the line every day, living in a metal box smaller than a cell for a convicted murderer, so worthless bottom feeders like you can pontificate about online dating in the free world.

Your undoubted virginity & lack of appeal to the opposite sex is obviously why you have so much time on your hands to even address the issues of online dating...Grow a pair, sonny....
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 05:14 pm
You know, all of this depends on the people involved. Some people are so dishonest, even if you live next door to them for years, you never know them. I knew a woman who married her junior high school sweetheart when both of them were in college. He convinced her to drop out to support him and then he would return the favor after graduation.

Well, he earned his degree, thanks to her and then left her for another woman. THat is not an uncommon story.

I also think that many people use the internet to act badly, scream at people through their busily typing fingers and call them the names they would never say in public.
poisonoake

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 07:36 am
@plainoldme,
After reading this, I want to share my story. Before I do that I want to say that people who have liked someone online before, like me, are not socially awkward and losers and ugly, I'm a spontaneous alright looking 19 year old girl who gets enough attention from guys in real life, and I have a lot of good friends. This doesn't just happen to one type of person.

When I was 15, I was naive and never had been kissed before. I was on this forum of a band a lot, and a guy who was on there started flirting with me. telling me I was pretty and we just had nice conversations and all. When I look at it now, that "online relationship" that we had was ridiculous, cause he did the same thing to me to like 10 other girls, and he had lung cancer and a kid, whenever i tried to call him i got this weird girl on the phone who always told me he was busy; he turned out to be a faker. At that age, it was horrible for me to hear, I couldn't believe it.

About a year later, I met this other guy on myspace. He was a mutual friends in real life with a girl I knew and had met at concerts, so I figured this guy had to be real. I never intended to like this guy, we always just had normal talks and I never stopped from doing things IRL with other guys like dating and kissing and all that. Up untill the point my real life crush dumped me, and I started talking to my online friend more and more. At one point we liked each other (I was 16 at this point, never really had a boyfriend, so pretty naive). He had moved from Holland (where I live) to America, but planned on visiting his friends once in a while. Only, he always failed to show up at our meet ups. This person lied to me constantly but made it so that I always ended up believing him. The fact that I met this girl he always talked to just made me believe he was real. She was real, so why wouldn't he be? I realize now that she was him. She's mentally ill, the things she did to me are fucked up, and I hope she gets it all back. I confronted her with my doubts and she started crying and shaking, so I'm pretty sure she was him.

I turned 17, promised myself to never get into this bullshit again. Butttt, of course that was not the case. I added a cute boy on myspace, just because girls do that. He was hot, that was all. Soon I realized he had connections in Holland, his brother lived in holland and he knew a few people I knew lived close to me. He wanted me on his msn list. We talked a bit but I never really liked him. A few months later he said he was in Holland, staying with his brother, and asked if I wanted to meet. I refused; I hardly knew the kid. He could've been a 40 year old dude as far as I knew. After that we started talking more. He went back to Dubai and we saw each other on webcam daily, he always called me before bed and we started texting a lot. I think the phone calls made me fall for him, he was so funny and we just had a click. He was planning to meet his brother in christmas so I decided I could give this a real go since I could actually meet him! By the time we were meeting we were already so in love that, when he got out of the train, I ran to him and jumped on him, we started kissing instantly. I was extremely nervous but it felt so good. He met my parents the same day (who were NOT happy about it at all, but after they met him it was all good) and we were officially a couple. He stayed here for two weeks, then he went back. He came to visit me again after 3 months, stayed with me for 10 days, and left again. He came back after two months to live and study here. That was when we really got to know each other. He was nothing like the person I fell in love with. He turned out to be a druggie, he was bi sexual and negative, he didn't like anything I liked and he just turned out to be so not my type. We broke up on our 1 year anniversary. I learned a lot from this, and I can say this internet love experience turned out positive, I mean, I got a real relationship out of this, just when I really got to know him I didnt like the person he was. I don't think that has anything to do with the fact we met online though, it always takes a while to really get to know someone. Besides that I think he just didn't really love me.

SO, after that I was broken hearted for about 6 months, went on a holiday and made out and had fun with a couple of guys.
On a boring day at home I went on Omegle and talked to this really awesome guy who lives in Australia. We talk a lot now, I'm afraid I like him more than I should, but I'm not as naive as I once was. I'm not gonna let this rule my life, I know he likes me too, but if our planned meeting isn't gonna happen i'm gonna have to let this cool down. I know he might not be the person I think he is, and I should know better since my other relationship didn't really turn out so well, but we share the exact same interest and we have the same goal in life. I never met someone who understands me so well, not even the other guys I met online. I cant seem to find someone here who I can have a normal conversation with without them annoying me. They're all so childish and don't seem to have the same interests as me. This guy seems so right for me, I know it's partially true and partially what I want it to be.

I don;t know if this is addicting, but I do know that I'm not looking for it. These interesting people come on my path and we happen to talk and connect. The girl who started this thread probably won't see this, but to everyone who likes someone online; rearrange a meet up so you can see what it's like. If this person won't let you call him, has vague pictures of themselves and won't go on webcam, or has ridiculous issues like lung cancer and a 2 year old son, they're probably fake and you need to stop talking to them. Just keep it real. x
0 Replies