BLING BLING?

Roberta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 03:59 pm
paleobarbie, I'm a native New Yorker. Do I have peeps? If I do, give me a hint. Animal, vegetable, or mineral? If I don't, should I feel bad? Should I want some? What this boils down to is--what are peeps?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:07 pm
In some slang it means the eyes, in other slang, it is short for people--having peeps means one has trustworthy and loved companions . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:07 pm
I'm a native New Yorker, as well, i was born in St. Claire's, in Manhattan . . . but i'm a country boy by upbringing--which makes for a strange mix indeed . . .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 08:54 pm
Oh, you're so insular, Roboita! (Small wonder if you live on the island of Manhattan!) Smile Peeps is just short for people, as in "Where be my peeps?"

OaK -- thanks. Now it all makes perfect sense.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 11:01 pm
Setanta, I was born in the Bronx and grew up there. Then I made the herculean leap to Manhattan. I'm a city kid. Need concrete under my feet.

Andy, Yes, I lead a very sheltered and insulated life. As it turns out, I do have peeps. Are peeps the latest version of homeys? I always seem to be one idiomatic expression behind.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:20 am
Yup. Homeys and peeps are pretty much the same thing.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 04:51 am
Peeps are marshmallow chicks (now in blue and purple as well as traditional yellow.) Props to candy!

"Peeps, Romans, Countrymen??"
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:40 am
Nextone, Good to see you here. Thanks for the further info on peeps. They now come in blue and purple. Not sure I'm up for that.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:48 am
"Jay Ceasa in da house! Word up to my peeps, and a big shout out to da centurions!"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:05 am
Good morning bling blingers. Smile

Jeepers, creepers, where'd ya get them peepers.
Jeepers, creepers, where'd ya get them eyes.

I am amazed at the variations of English words including slang expressions. Sooooooooooo, let's think of another one to put in the OED.

orbituseruptus--an explosion of eyes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:07 am
I wonder if they've added "phat?"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:16 am
er, Setanta, What exactly is phat? Fat?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:18 am
No, it's 90's black urban slang, a superlative: "check out this sound system, it's really phat . . ." "Ooooo, this outfit is phat!"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:22 am
Well, I'll be. Sorta like Def. Cool
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 11:01 am
I do like a bit of off the wall language. In the Uk, the young of the species will describe someone they fancy, as in attractive, as being Well Fit. For example>>>>>>>.

#1 "Er Randolf, see that chick across the road wiv the healthy rack and wiv legs right up to 'er armpits, well she's well fit, wanna give it a little tug"

#2 "Stroll on Dwayne, 'er mate's only 50:50, the body's fit granted, but the old boat race is a bit rough, she should carry a large paper bag wiv 'er. She's a bit of a dog"

#1 "Take yer point Randolf, why keep a dog and bark yourself"

#2 "Right on Dwayne, you'd get better talent in a nunery"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 11:22 am
hmmmmm. John.

Checking out the editorial staff for the OED. Nope, don't see your name there as Editorial Consultant. Wait a minute, I mistakenly got Webster's . Embarrassed

Fantastic "off-the-wall" cockney.

another one:

bene-fit- an adjective describing George Washington's superb victory over the Hessians. (fit being the past tense of fight) Razz

Hey, must have been a Brit or two who spoke cockney in that boat. Very Happy
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 11:22 am
Letty,
...You be straight up illin', Yo. Now don't be fro' en like you ain't down with the peeps. I can see you now; chillin' in da hood, sportin' your bling-bling, and fly gear... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 11:33 am
Very Happy Smile Laughing Cool

Yeah, Boo. I dig the crazy rhythm, but something tells me you be a signifier. Razz
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 11:42 am
Laughing Laughing All I can think of is Barbara "June Cleaver" Billingsley in the movie "Airplane",....."Excuse me stewardess,. Maybe I can help, I speak Jive" Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 11:43 am
Embarrassed Embarrassed

Damn!...you know me too well. Smile
0 Replies