BLING BLING?

Roberta

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 10:01 pm
oldandknew, I realized we were speaking two different languages when I asked a bobby for directions and didn't understand one word of the answer. I was in London in 1968.

Letty, "Let's grow a sentence"? I can tell you what part of speech every word is, but I don't know exactly what this means. "The boatuhyouse." This is not so much American English as it is Noo Yawk. It makes perfect sense to me. Are the boatuhyouse comin' over later, or what?

Jerry, I'm glad you like whiskify. You were my inspiration.

Jespah and Wy, Thanks for the bling-bling sentences. It's a noun! Who knew?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 06:31 am
Wy, that sheep deserves an ovineovation.

Roberta, In each new unit of study in my classroom, the bulletin board would reflect the theme. This particular unit was grammar, so the title was: Let's grow a sentence. One sharp student wanted me to explain the parts.(subject-verb, etc) That's what I was really after, not the parts of speech. Wow, see you know your magnapomese Razz
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 07:08 am
Letty, I know my magnapomese? I just checked my dictionary. This word isn't in there. So tell me. What do I know--magnapomesically speaking, that is.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 03:15 pm
Letty, me too. What's a magnapome? Lyrical lava? no, no, that's magma... let me think... first year Latin... "Villa est villa Romana. Villa non est parva, villa est magna." So, then, a great big apple?

Fella in the comicks this week sez that when a form asks for race (caucasian, hispanic, etc.), he checks "other" and writes in "Callipygian"...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:11 pm
I'm wondering is magnapomese is like boatuhyouse. But I can't sound out what it might be.

Letty. Where are you?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:35 pm
Sorry all, I'm not getting updates.

Roberta, I'm right here in Florida, originally from Virginia. Wy is right...The Big Apple.. Smile

Loved the Latin, Wy..puer/puella is pulchra..give me some time on Callipygian, unless that's a Californian who has been transplanted to Virginia. Very Happy
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:45 pm
That's the first sentence, sorry, two sentences, of the first Latin textbook I had. I can recite the whole paragraph... ask me if I remember anything from Algebra class!

Letty, pulchritude has a little bit to do with Callipygian... and that's the last hint!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 07:24 pm
Sorry, Wy. I don't know the answer and when that happens, I sing:

Wy, oh wy, did I ever leave Wyoming.
Wy, oh wy, did I ever have to go.

Wy, oh wy, did I ever leave the left coast,
Cause there's a sheriff back there lookin'
For me, high and low and high and low.

Did that divert 'ya? Razz

noncapisheado.

ex aficionado Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 10:47 pm
Aha and LOL. If a goil has to know Latin to figure out what's going on here, I'm in big trouble. Pig Latin, maybe. But Latin Latin. Not a clue. This, btw, did not stop me from proofreading a Latin primer. I'm unstoppable. Also LOL.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 06:00 am
Roberta, You are a good sport.

jockulinguist

A pro football player who can speak English. :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:16 am
Roberta, Letty, Wy, I had a good thread going on reinventing words, kind of in reaction to the decimation of the English language going on right now. Feel free to revive the thread (intentional spelling errors are allowed):

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7094&highlight=
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 12:30 pm
uhoh! I just got Wy and Sweetcom confused.

alzblank- an variant of confusionism Embarrassed
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 03:22 pm
Roberta, I used to work for a company that specialized in translations. I proofread in German, Spanish, French, and -- Arabic! I know a few words of Spanish and French, and just two words in German, but proofreading isn't just about fluency, it's about making sure the copy matches the original... I can sometimes (rarely) even catch errors in Spanish, if they're glaring enough!

Do you see typos in everything you read? I can't turn it off any more.

Cav, I'm going right now to the thread...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 11:21 pm
Wy, I went through a phase of seeing mistakes everywhere. Now I look for them only when I'm paid to. For the most part, I see them, but they don't register.
0 Replies

paleobarbie

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
back to bling-bling
the native new yorker in me likes to believe that bling bling is the printed way of describing the sunlight that reflects off of all that gold jewelry that "my peeps" wear

: )
0 Replies

Dartagnan

What a fun thread!

Here's something, not sure it's relevant, but what the heck:

When we were growing up, my brother and I would hear Yiddish when our parents were either saying things we weren't to hear or scolding us. After years of our being told, "You kids quit all that tumult!" my brother decided that "tumult" must be a Yiddish word. Well, it sounds like it could be one, but I had to set him straight...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Why've you folks been hiding this thread from me? (I'll never admit it's my own carelessness that made me overlook it.) John OaK -- I understood everything that you posted in Cockney, except for one small thing -- why is a phone referred to as a 'dog'?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Here's a link on "new English words." http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~ling215/NewWords/index.html
c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

andrew ,, dog >>> dog & bone = phone
0 Replies

Letty

and Letty from Florida says:

blink..blink...paleobarbie, Welcome to A2K.

See you guys tomorrow....Lord willin and the creeks don't rise....

And just where the hell are the other Brits?

Britakasgaphopia:

Fear of the OED..........................................................................gorn
0 Replies