Rosie and Extremism

snood

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 07:22 pm
Rosie O'Donnell shocked a lot of people - a couple of whom were sitting next to her on the set - by coming out strongly against "Christian extremists", who she sees as just as dangerous as "Muslim extremists".

Leaving aside for a brief moment (and I know that moment may indeed be very brief, before we get into the politics of the different extremisms) the merit of the sentiments she expressed, I think its pretty remarkable how quickly after joining 'The View' she's jumped into the controversial spotlight. Heck, I actually thought she would try to make nice for a couple more episodes.

The questions she raised are volatile - especially in the present atmosphere of fighting the "Islamo-Fascists".

Will she be shouted down by the Christian influence, who find her comments outrageous because the abortion clinic bombers and soldier funeral protesters aren't as bad as the WTC crashers?

Or will she ride the "Right on Rosie"s coming from those who are angry at the hypocrisy of a lot of modern day Christianity, to more popularity and higher ratings for 'The View'?

Stay tuned...

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/41575/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 16,232 • Replies: 453
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 07:28 pm
Good for Rosie.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 07:34 pm
Snood watches The View?!?!

I agree, good for her!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 07:45 pm
What's extreme. She only told the truth.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:03 pm
I watch the news, and political pundit shows. The talking heads were talking about her tonight, so I looked up something about it. No, I don't watch the View - I think about 5 minutes of it would make my head explode.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:13 pm
<I didn't really think so!>
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:49 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
What's extreme. She only told the truth.

No, see - Rosie isn't the person or thing this thread is identifying as extreme. She was talking about extremism in Muslims and Christians - and you wouldn't disagree that there are extremists in both groups, I'm sure....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:58 pm
Oh, I misunderstood.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:00 pm
I think you must have misunderstood edgar, snood.

Is "misunderstood" a word?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:01 pm
What the hell? Am I doing the misunderstooding here?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:04 pm
I undersnood him to mean - I mean, fool me once - shame on -fool - and fool me again - Ah, forget it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:05 pm
Let's just get the hell out of this thread, edgar, before we screw the whole thing up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:06 pm
agreed.
0 Replies

MarionT

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 11:03 pm
Rosie spoke the truth. Extreme Christianity hates people like Rosie--because she is gay and they would throw her in jail if they could completely control the government. That's why Bushie and his gang have to be totally beaten in November!!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 05:31 am
I just think the whole thing is funny - the uproar and outrage she is stirring by just saying "Christian extremists are dangerous, too".

I think ALL extremists (even non-religious ones) are dangerous, but I know that this particular uproar is just because she mentioned Christians.

edgar,
sorry if what I said seems convoluted. All I meant was I wasn't saying Rosie or what she said was extreme, but that she was talking about extremism.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 05:43 am
I feel certain she'll stir up (has stirred up) the Christian right extremists and that they will try to paste some dirt to her through some nasty (unchristian) publicity.

The funny thing is, I don't picture the extreme christian right watching The View. I mean, come on. Women expressing their view? (shuddering in shame, waiting for the lightning bolts.)
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 06:21 am
Anyone care to support her position with facts showing "christian extremists" blowing themselves up and taking out thousand of innocent victims?

Have any facts of Christian extremists taking hostages and chopping heads off?

Any facts at all ?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 06:22 am
The main thing about extremists in general is...they will all end up bitter and disappointed because the world isn't going to change for them.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 06:26 am
I'm assuming most of you people are happy living in yours and Rosie's little dream world.

The cure, should anybody here be interested, would be to try spending a year or two living in some slammite country as a woman (brutalized, treated like chattel), a negro (bought/sold/traded etc. etc.), or an in-your-face bull dyke like Rosie O-Donnell (stoned to death/whipped/burned etc.), and that's before you even get to the slammite terrorists; that's just dealing with the ordinary slammites.

An idea of how much fun dealing with slammite terrorists is can be had for the five dollar price of renting a copy of "United 93" which is available now at DVD/movie outlets.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 06:32 am
I mean, I remember Eldridge Cleaver writing about his experiences in slammite countries.

He said he was all gung-ho about going back to Africa, "to his roots" and all that happy horseshit, and then he got there, and found out that he had to walk around staring at the ground in front of him all day or suffer the consequences, and that the happiest day of his life so far at that time was the day he got back to the states.
0 Replies