Rosie and Extremism

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 02:22 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
In the future, when you are asked on a trivia quiz show, "What sage wisdom did Ticomaya utter in his 15,000th post on able2know.com?", you will know to respond:

"Marion has seen the light."

Indeed
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 07:12 pm
BTW -- I think Rosie's accent is fake.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 09:36 pm
plainoldme wrote:

Do you mean exaggerated?...if so that's not uncommon among stand up comics...it's one way of making themselves distinct. She is from Queens, so I'm sure most of it is real...at least, I have not noticed any changes in it during her career, besides the baby talk she sometimes does.

-------

Judy Tenuta/Roseanne comes to mind, if you don't recognize Judy's name, she is the gypsyish looking comedienne with the accordion, and has a very, very nasal Chicago accent. I noticed it myself, and even have heard her say that Roseanne Barr had stolen her accent....which is a big part of her act....and became famous for it. If you watch the very early clips of Roseanne, on stage, and then on her sitcom, her speech is very similar to Judy's. But as time went on, it relaxed into a more subtle western accent.

Larry the Cable guy is another, he is actually from Nebraska, and his native dialect sounds to me like a sissy dentist from L.A. might sound, far from his staged southern accent.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 10:31 pm
plainoldme wrote:

You, as usual, are wrong.

Rosie grew up in Commack Long Island, a mere 15 miles from where I grew up. She has a classic late 20th century Long Island accent.

Bob Costas also grew up in Commack and he hardly has a Rosie accent.

Neither do I, but Bob and I are exceptions to contemporary Long Islanders.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 10:35 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
plainoldme wrote:

Do you mean exaggerated?...if so that's not uncommon among stand up comics...it's one way of making themselves distinct. She is from Queens, so I'm sure most of it is real...at least, I have not noticed any changes in it during her career, besides the baby talk she sometimes does.

-------

Judy Tenuta/Roseanne comes to mind, if you don't recognize Judy's name, she is the gypsyish looking comedienne with the accordion, and has a very, very nasal Chicago accent. I noticed it myself, and even have heard her say that Roseanne Barr had stolen her accent....which is a big part of her act....and became famous for it. If you watch the very early clips of Roseanne, on stage, and then on her sitcom, her speech is very similar to Judy's. But as time went on, it relaxed into a more subtle western accent.

Larry the Cable guy is another, he is actually from Nebraska, and his native dialect sounds to me like a sissy dentist from L.A. might sound, far from his staged southern accent.

I 've been to Chicago numerous times;
I don 't remember that thay had an accent.
David
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 10:48 pm
That would depend on where you are from David, and of course not everyone has that Elwood Blues {Dan Aykroyd in the Blues Brothers} accent I'm referring to.

Saturday Night Live had a skit about Chicago accents...Da Bears...it's fairly accurate, in a general sense.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 10:53 pm
Here is one of the skits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msSB5ev41Sk

Well, it's not a real SNL piece...but it will do.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 10:57 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
2PacksAday wrote:
plainoldme wrote:

-------

I 've been to Chicago numerous times;
I don 't remember that thay had an accent.
David

Rosie was not from Queens, and she, most certainly, was not from Chicago.

Stop the nonsense.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 11:19 pm
I never said Rosie O'Donell was from Chicago....Judy is from Chicago, near it....as is/was Roseanne Barr's early stage accent.

How far is Commack Long Island from Queens? IMDB has Rosie listed from Commack, and Costas from Queens. Wiki has them both listed as being from Queens.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 11:46 pm
Nothing wrong with exaggerating an accent for dramatic effect. The president does it all the time.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:08 am
2PacksAday wrote:
I never said Rosie O'Donell was from Chicago....Judy is from Chicago, near it....as is/was Roseanne Barr's early stage accent.

How far is Commack Long Island from Queens? IMDB has Rosie listed from Commack, and Costas from Queens. Wiki has them both listed as being from Queens.

Wiki is wrong.

No one growing up in Suffolk Long Island would suggest they grew up in Queens.

Commack is probably not more thn 50 miles from Queens, but to true Long Islanders, it might as well be 1000 miles.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 01:23 am
Yeah I looked at the map...long ways apart, Bayside to Commack 30miles.

It seems that both were born in Queens, then moved to Commack and grew up there. Bayside for Rosie, couldn't find exactly where Costas was born, all I've seen just says Queens, New York.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 03:05 pm
I remember Judie and I just recently saw a clip of the young Roseanne Barr. Rosie is perfectly capable of speaking Broadcastese: the accent is exaggerated when she wants to exaggerate it and she alienates lots of people with it.

I am complimented when someone like Finn, so incapable of reason and logic, tells me that I am usually wrong. What a maroon.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 10:45 am
The Chigaco accent I spoke of....a real one.

http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/usa/illinois/illinois10.mp3
0 Replies