SOS: Big Mo Meltdown

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 11:16 am
I sent her a email basically saying that it seemed that Mo had gotten off on a rocky start and that he had said some things that lead me to belive that perhaps there had been problems in class.

I told her that I was open to any suggestions she might have to help ease his transition.

I leave in a few minutes to go pick him up. Maybe we'll have some peanut butter - it has lots of protein. Maybe some turkey. Mo is not a big red meat lover so we have to go to other sources.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 11:23 am
Sounds good! (The email).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 11:42 am
Boomer--

Very good--sharing information rather than assigning blame.

How is Post School today coming along?
0 Replies

Shellgame

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 12:19 pm
Excuse me, but could someone please pass me the tissue's?

I just found and read this thread. You're doing a great job, Boomer.
And, outside of the smoking cowboy, you're getting excellent advice.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 01:12 pm
Thank you Shellgame and welcome to A2K.

Excellent advice is what A2K is all about!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 01:21 pm
Somebody told Boomer to go smoke a cowboy???? Shocked
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 01:38 pm
I don't really have any advice that hasn't already been given. But when the ducklet started kindergarten at his new school (after we moved) he had a bit of an adjustment. A lot of things were going on there, but in the end he just told me once that sometimes he missed me so much that he wanted to cry. I ended up sending a picture of me and him when he was a toddler for him to look at whenever he felt that way. It seemed to get him through the roughest parts.

And the afternoon meltdowns happen to all kids, it seems, no matter how long they've been at school. I guess it's just part of the whole decompression.

You're doing great, boomer. Hang in there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 01:43 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
in the end he just told me once that sometimes he missed me so much that he wanted to cry. I ended up sending a picture of me and him when he was a toddler for him to look at whenever he felt that way. It seemed to get him through the roughest parts.

Talk about "pass the tissues"!

<schniff>
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 01:48 pm
I know, it made me want to cry when he said that. I think, though, that he was really just feeling out of place. He was new, he didn't know anyone, he was behind academically (no preschool and starting late) and having a hard time figuring out how to behave. It was also all day kindergarten. I think he needed to be reminded sometimes that he was somebody important to me (and his dad, of course) and that he could get through it. Maybe Mo's going through something similar.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 04:09 pm
Ha! You might be onto something with that feeling important insight, FreeDuck.

After school started like this:

Me: So how was class?
Mo: Lame
Me: What was the first thing you did.
Mo: Nothing.
Me: Okay, then what did you do?
Mo: Nothing. We didn't do anything!
Me: Did that kid have to wash windows again?
Mo: No, not today.

Luckily, I planned an outing today with Mo to the big, cool bike store - the place where all the big time bike enthusiasts go. Our mission: a kickstand. (It seems they don't make kickstands for 14" bikes so we had to have one cut down and fitted.) Plus, we had to order a new tire. (He's completely worn out the rubber on his back tire doing "fishtails" (that tire lasted nine days).)

The bike mechanics thought Mo was a cool little dude and treated him like one of the guys (giving mom time to admire the bike enthusiasts.... ummm.... errr..... attitudes).

The rest of the afternoon has been surpisingly low-key.

This weekend I think I'll turn my mind to making Mo some little joujou to carry with him.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 04:41 pm
I'd just like to drop in and say...

ME-mo-ME-mo-ME-mo-ME!

MO-me-MO-me-MO-me-MO!

Thank you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 04:54 pm
Boomer, Mo might have a greater than expected reaction to going to school on Monday. We faced many a Monday stomach ache and Monday morning stress peak.

You're doing fine, but Mo is sensitive and anxious. Mondays can be rough.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 06:32 pm
sounds like today went much smoother!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 07:42 pm
JPB wrote:
Boomer, Mo might have a greater than expected reaction to going to school on Monday. We faced many a Monday stomach ache and Monday morning stress peak.

You're doing fine, but Mo is sensitive and anxious. Mondays can be rough.

I STILL have Monday morning stress peaks before school! Would one of you nice ladies make me an afterschool snack this Monday, please?

But I really just wandered in to say hang in there, Boomerang, and hugs to you both.
0 Replies

Shellgame

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:12 pm
boomerang wrote:
This weekend I think I'll turn my mind to making Mo some little joujou to carry with him.

Is THAT legal???

Very Happy

Glad things seem to be calming down some.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 02:00 pm
Yea, how did it go today. boomer?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 04:06 pm
I woke up this morning remembering "Monday's can be rough" and indeed it was.

First he insisted that it wasn't a school day at all.

When I convinced him otherwise he informed me that HE was NOT going.

I finally jollied him into some clothes and his friend Nic showed up so he was left without much choice.

But after class something miraculous occured - he came racing from the room honestly excited about what they had done in class.

He's been in a good mood all afternoon. We had a pre-kindergarten violence level and a pretty easy day.

I'm giving the day a B+.

Thank you for asking, Swimpy.

I still haven't heard back from the email I sent his teacher. I did get a note saying that they were going to have to transfer several kids from Mo's class to the other kindergarten teacher because the classes ended up a little lopsided. They were asking for volunteers. I really hope somebody else volunteers because Mo was the last kid assigned to this class. I'm sure the other teacher is good but honestly it would be like starting all over: new room, new kids, new teacher, new everything.

Keep your fingers crossed that Mo gets to stay put.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 04:11 pm
Fingers crossed!

That could all go back to the bored thing -- the first day or two of kindergarten IS boring! Then things start to get a little more interesting...

Really glad he had a good time today.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 05:25 pm
Mondays can be hard, indeed...... Glad it went so well. Is there a school play ground which you can access during the weekend?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 05:27 pm
I'm glad he had a good day, boomer. I hope he has made it over the hump.

My mother always told the story about my experience in kindergarten. I don't remember it, but I believe it happened. After happily going to school the first day, I declared that I would not be going back. ..ever. My mom called the teacher, who told her not to make a big deal about it. She didn't make me go to school the next day or the day after that. .. or many days after that. Two weeks later I declared that I would go to school. That was the end of that. I don't know if schools would be that patient anymore.
0 Replies