Conservative Bias in the Media

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:54 pm
because we are still busy still beating our wives.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:59 pm
Damn, i gotta get me one a them . . . wife, that is . . .

Currently, i don't even have a dog to kick . . .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:03 pm
Well, the problem is, that when women philosphers get together, they express this variety of rhetorical question as 'Are you still beating your husband?'

You are probably fine as is, Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:10 pm
You know, BLatham, i was once in the very epicenter of a Political Rectitude storm in the Office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs at a midwestern university, when we were obliged to establish an equal rights committee. It was then proposed that we distribute an "attitudes toward women" survey. We obtained several from an eagar member of the women's studies department, and reviewed them in committee--as well as a single "attitudes toward men" survey. The women-directed surveys were tendencious as hell--questions such as "Shouldn't girls be allowed the same freedom from discipline and restraint as boys are?"--the old wife-beating question writ large, obscurely and repeatedly. Also, the women-directed surveys allowed you to agree (and to strongly agree) or to disagree (or strongly so), but there was no neutral response. The men-directed survey allowed for a neutral answer, and a "not relevant" answer. I offered to accept one of the versions of the survey, if everyone present would sign a commitment to come to my house for a weekend of power poker--using my deck.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:12 pm
Oh, and when we declined to use any of the surveys, the prof in the women's studies department expressed indifference, but also lost all interest in our activities, and ceased to maintain contact. The committee--which never appreciated that i referred to it as the Committee for Public Safety, after they researched the reference--eventually withered on the vine. Left wing fanatics are just as looney-toons as their right wing cousins.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:42 pm
Setanta

I suspect we all have a story or two. I went back and did five years from 87 through 93. It was a fairly sparky period, but I got on well with most of the folks trying to bring feminist issues to the fore. But there were a couple of instances where I found myself on the wrong planet.

A feminist poet from Montreal was coming to speak, and my writing teacher (now poet laureate of Canada) suggested the class attend. As it turned out, I was the only male in a room with some fifty women. She may have read some poems, but all I can recall is a slide show of round things...shells, flowers, etc. She'd prefaced the show with her observation of the architecture she saw driving into Vancouver, and she was wondering what buildings would look like if women designed them (round, not tall, sharp, and thrusting was what she figured). She went on to explicate her theories regarding how buildings had originally been rounded until the patriarchy took over, then all the oppressive straight lines began to appear. As it happened, I'd been doing a pile of archaeology courses at the time, and knew that straight lines began to appear when folks started using timbers in construction. I didn't raise my hand and offer up this contrary interpretation. I am, you'll notice, still alive.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:44 pm
One old saw i've never quibbled with:

Discretion is the better part of valor.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 09:00 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 09:21 pm
Yep. Al Franken is good, but Molly Ivins is great. A wonderful reporter who understands people like Bush and Tom DeLay and all their nasty machinations; she also has a creative, entrepeneurial streak. She has mentioned that, if she ever stops reporting, she would develop a BBQ flavored vaginal gel. God, what a woman! Molly for president in 2004.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 09:29 pm
Diane
Diane, I adore Molly Ivins. She has learned to tear the flesh off the idiots she writes about in such a funny manner that they don't even feel the pain for days. She is a world class hoot!

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 09:32 pm
but forget the BBQ i prefer the woman
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 09:40 pm
yes...and soon, folks will start getting all fancyshmancy...and then what? blue cheese?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 09:41 pm
And when pickled herring flavor becomes popular, we'll have come full circle . . .

(God, i crack me up . . .)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 09:45 pm
waiting to see if you crack up any of the ladies aboard
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 09:46 pm
I try not to nuture unrealistic expectations . . .
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 09:46 pm
I have no problem with reporters having a bias,but it is NOT their job to display it.
To many reporters think its their job to try and change the world,but they forget that their ONLY job is to report what they see and hear.
Once they start allowing their own personal bias's and opinions into their stories,they are no longer journalists or reporters.They are columnists.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 09:48 pm
And "when did you stop beating your wife" is still another thought.

See - beating your wife is what you come up with, and round architecture, and differently worded questionnaires.

Boy, talk about bias!
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:45 pm
what she said!
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:56 pm
Quote:
I have no problem with reporters having a bias,but it is NOT their job to display it.
To many reporters think its their job to try and change the world,but they forget that their ONLY job is to report what they see and hear.
Once they start allowing their own personal bias's and opinions into their stories,they are no longer journalists or reporters.They are columnists.

What he said.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 05:16 am
You guys are a riot. BTW, I'm now a Molly Ivins fan, also.
0 Replies