Conservative Bias in the Media

Scrat

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 10:37 am
http://www.foxnews.com/images/banners/logo03.gif Last night I observed what I would call a blatant conservative bias expressed by the woman filling in for Neil Cavuto on Fox News. The topic was the change to FCC guidelines that just passed, and among other biased comments she made, she led into the discussion by referring to the existing guidelines (those being changed) as "stodgy and outdated". It was clear she was an advocate for the position that the changes were reasonable and appropriate, rather than a facilitator for the discussion between the representatives of the two sides of the issues she had present.

Now, Cavuto's show is not a straight "news" show, so I'm not sure I should expect the moderator to maintain a middle-ground position on the issues, but for whatever it is worth, I thought her bias was blatant and intended to buoy one side of the argument and devalue the other.

(Of course, it is also possible that this was less a conservative bias than an I work for Rupert Murdock bias.) :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,938 • Replies: 171
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 10:42 am
Yup. There is bias in the media. Lots of it. I found this quote from Patiodog which states my own opinion quite well:

patiodog wrote:
A point of view is absolutely essential to reporting the news -- it is what dictates what one determines what is news and what isn't. A reporter and/or a section editor appear to have made a journalistic mistake, and this mistake appears to have been addressed. But to expect any journalistic publication to be utterly free of political agenda is absurd; without an agenda, it is impossible to determine whether or not knowledge of certain events will be useful to their readers. And I, for one, would rather have some idea what this agenda is -- and it should be relatively clear from a reading of the editorial page -- than go about with the illusion that there is any such thing as impartial, objective news coverage.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 10:45 am
Hey! Don't take words out of my mouth! (Kidding, of course.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 10:46 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 10:48 am
you could've picked something with fewer language errors
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 10:51 am
Scrat:

Actually she showed what the only REAL bias in the media is.

Check out http://www.fair.org
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 10:51 am
What language errors? It's bootiful.

Fbaezer has also said some great stuff on this subject.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 11:00 am
NeoGuin - Now, you don't really mean that, do you? Cool
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 11:19 am
Re: Conservative Bias in the Media
Scrat wrote:
Last night I observed what I would call a blatant conservative bias expressed by the woman filling in for Neil Cavuto on Fox News.

Don't worry about it, Scrat. I'm sure Mr. Fox will soon send his employees a disapproving letter about it, putting an end to any perceived conservative bias by his news channel. Please make sure to post a link to it here when it happens.

-- Thomas
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 11:21 am
...now that's funny...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 11:23 am
I'm pretty sure it's known that FOXNEWS has a conservative slant. Much the same as other media outlets have a liberal slant. Choose your poison...just keep in mind that the truth is somewhere in between.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 11:35 am
Hahahaha Thomas!
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 12:41 pm
Scrat:

Question
0 Replies

Scipio

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 03:22 pm
The majority of television (at least here in the US) is Liberal bias, while the majority of talk radio (at least here in Los Angeles) is conservative bias. The News Papers (again, in Los Angeles) are damn well Communist! =p
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 03:26 pm
Really, Scipio, Communist? Do they advocate a violent workers' revolution? Or is that hyperbole, akin to aligning Fox News with Fascism?
0 Replies

Scipio

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 03:36 pm
Bah! you know what I meant! =] Definately hyperbole, but it indeed got my point through. In fact, the Los Angeles Times (I must give them credit) sent a public memo to all its writers and staff saying, basically, that its bias must end.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 03:36 pm
HOORAY!!!!!

People are talking sensibly about media bias!!!
Where's my camera?!!

Everywhere there is a person, there's a degree of bias. I know reporters are supposed to try and curb it--but you can't always curb such an ingrained part of yourself. It is everywhere--as many of you say--and our recourse is to sample several sources.

Liking scipio, McGentrix....oh hell, everybody.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 03:49 pm
I just called you up on it, Scipio, because if I call something Fascist someone's likely to jump down my own throat. ('Course, I'll say far, far worse in the privacy of my own life...)
0 Replies

Scipio

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 04:10 pm
yeah, no worries =p
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 10:31 pm
Is bias the same thing as possessing an opinion?
0 Replies