Conservative Bias in the Media

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:09 am
Ah, yer a bad man, Boyo, so ye are . . .
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 05:31 am
There's a thread on the A2K "TV" board discussing this: There was a heated exchange between Al Franken and Bill (fair and balanced, the spin stops here) O'Reilly on C-SPAN2 yesterday. Those two and Molly Ivins were hawking their latest books, and the discussion was about partisan spin in media. Man, I got the best laugh I've had in a month watching Franken tear O'Reilly a new asshole about lies he had told about receiving a Peabody award while at Inside Edition. He claims he "mispoke" about it, but then Franken produced quotes from radio programs and Bill's own show where he had had a chance to retract and/or apologize, but had stood by the remarks, saying he meant a Polk Award, not a Peabody. And when Franken shot holes in that, revealing that O'Reilly had left the show the year before Inside Edition won a Polk Award, O'Reilly offered some weak **** about how he meant the program, and not himself, etc.

I'm a Franken fan for life now - seeing him stand there, saying how liberals have "taken it and taken it", relating how he had personally attended the Wellstone Memorial, then heard several conservative commentators who weren't there misrepresent and disparage the proceedings; he was really fired up. I agree that the right - people like Coulter, Hannity and Limbaugh, have been allowed to set the tone of debate in this country, and they've done it with nasty innuendo, and outright lies. And something inside me rejoiced when I heard Ivins and Franken say, at the phone-in question session afterwards, that O'Reilly was a "verbal bully", and that bullies always needed to be stood up to.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 06:31 am
Love it, snood. Franken has always been much sharper than his early image portrays him to be.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:19 am
snood

You've been missed.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:23 am
snood are you getting uppity again?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 09:59 am
Uppity? Moi? Sir! Evidently you must have me confused with someone else!

But on the real - I hope I'm always perceived that way - by some... all the better to be a thorn in the side.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:05 am
Wink
0 Replies

Munch

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 11:26 am
Ok, while you guys grill O'reilly about him winning a polk or peabody award or whatever it is you guys are getting your panties in a bunch about, he'll be talking about a real argument about "real" politics. Not that I'm the biggest fan of Mr. O, but what about all the MAJOR lies Gloria ALrite has told? Where are those on the boards? I could bring some up if you'd all like?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 11:51 am
Munch - I'd love it, but the great unwashed here will not. Cool
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 11:54 am
And yet another exemplary post, as always, raising the level of discourse . . .
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 12:01 pm
Setanta wrote:
And yet another exemplary post, as always, raising the level of discourse . . .

You mean like this one? (Including the one I just posted...ick, I've stooped to their level! ack!)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 01:05 pm
Please note the absence in my post of any component equivalent to "the great unwashed" . . .
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:24 pm
Well, it's always good to see that those coming up from the baseboards do not go in for personal attacks. Although I believe "ad hominem" is the repub buzzword of these days.

By the way, Ann Coulter and her short black dress seem to have gone off the radar lately. As has the lovely Miss Noonan.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:44 pm
O'Reilly's show is the flagship of the Faux News channel. O'Reilly likes to tout himself as the "honest workingclass roots champion of the folks". along with Limbaugh and Hannity, O'Reilly is a standard bearer for the right. How in the HELL do you imagine that Gloria Allred rises to that level on the left? Is she some kind of spokesperson for the left, or an ambulance chasing, spotlight monging attorney? And while you're answering that one- why in the HELL is it that you on the right reply to ANY straightforward allegation of wrong from one of your people with either a shrug (as in "a peabody or whatever you've got your panties twisted over") or a weakassed remark about how someone else "does it too"?

It's telling that not only couldn't that simpering pasty faced loudmouth O'Reilly admit he got cought in a boldfaced lie, but neither can his sheepbrained, myopic koolaid heart pumping syncophants.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:59 pm
<<oohing and ahhing and applauding>>
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:37 pm
snood wrote:
why in the HELL is it that you on the right reply to ANY straightforward allegation of wrong from one of your people with either a shrug (as in "a peabody or whatever you've got your panties twisted over") or a weakassed remark about how someone else "does it too"?

It's telling that not only couldn't that simpering pasty faced loudmouth O'Reilly admit he got cought in a boldfaced lie, but neither can his sheepbrained, myopic koolaid heart pumping syncophants.

As I have no telling answer (of course the true answer is that people on the Right are never wrong, we just play along to keep the left in the game Shocked ), I will retort with a scathing question of my own...Why is that Liberals will never answer a question at all? They will dance around subjects, change subjects, or just ignore the subject completely. Why is that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:38 pm
A trick they learned from watching the conservative-dominated media . . . and they're smart enough to emulate it, that's why.

Oops, answered a question . . . well shut my mouf . . .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:48 pm
McGentrix

Your last post is intellectually vacuous. Generalized claims tell us nothing about the world ('jews are cheapskates') but they do tell us rather a lot about those who speak them.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:49 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Why is that Liberals will never answer a question at all? They will dance around subjects, change subjects, or just ignore the subject completely. Why is that?

Loaded Question / Complex Question :: Logical Fallacy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:54 pm
My favorite is: "Have you stopped beating your wife." I find that the fanatical--of left and right--are much given to this type of questioning, which, of course, indicates a great contempt for the interlocutor.
0 Replies