Noddy24

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 02:32 pm
Flushd has given some excellent advice.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:04 pm
Re: Sudden interest in opposite sex
carolsusan07 wrote:
Can anyone advise me whether or not they think it's normal for one's husband to start taking greater interest in the opposite sex, even though he's already middle-aged. Only recently did I begin to notice how he enjoyed talking to other women and also how much they en Sad joyed his company.

This may not sound like a big deal, but to me it feels as if we don't function as a couple any more when we go out (to church and other events in our small town). It feels as if his interest lies more with talking to other ladies than with being with his own wife.

When I speak about my concerns, he says I have nothing to fear as his conversations are all very innocent and I'm the one he loves. Am I wrong to wish that he would spend more time with me nad less with other women?

Sorry, i thought this was about someone who was gay who all the sudden started liking the opposite sex. That kinda happened to me.

Never mind.
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:24 pm
Re: Sudden interest in opposite sex
Roxxxanne wrote:
carolsusan07 wrote:
Can anyone advise me whether or not they think it's normal for one's husband to start taking greater interest in the opposite sex, even though he's already middle-aged. Only recently did I begin to notice how he enjoyed talking to other women and also how much they en Sad joyed his company.

This may not sound like a big deal, but to me it feels as if we don't function as a couple any more when we go out (to church and other events in our small town). It feels as if his interest lies more with talking to other ladies than with being with his own wife.

When I speak about my concerns, he says I have nothing to fear as his conversations are all very innocent and I'm the one he loves. Am I wrong to wish that he would spend more time with me nad less with other women?

I thought u were fat, u mean u were gay as well? Shocked Very Happy

Sorry, i thought this was about someone who was gay who all the sudden started liking the opposite sex. That kinda happened to me.

Never mind.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 12:56 am
You got that wrong, you are the one who is fat.

I dated exclusively women for almost a year. Then I met my Italian Stallion. I have spent the better part of the last two days ******* this guys brains out (who I met online) What have you been doing save posting bullshit here, dude?
0 Replies

carolsusan07

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 01:45 am
Working on one's insecurities
flushd wrote:
Really nice to hear such a positive post from you, carol. I see so much potential for things to just get better and better from here.
For you as a woman, and in your marriage.

I actually relate a lot to what you are saying. And you know what? Sometimes we just gotta cut ourselves some slack.
Life can get a bit crazy, and before we know it we are run down and not acting 100% like our strong selves.
But, we can change it and turn things around. We just get stronger for going through it all.

I think a major turning point for me was the day I realized I was indeed depressed, and went out and did something about it. Not bc it was inconvienent to others. Not bc it was affecting my relationships. But bc I got "Only I can do a damn thing to change it". And it's true
It isn't a personal weakness. It can be such an opportunity to learn about yourself.
Relationship or no: it has been a huge lesson in giving myself permission to do things nice for myself for no other reason than it is good for me and I would like to! Smile
That was huge bc, really, when it came down to it, I carried a lot of guilt about having needs. I was feeling like I didn't deserve to have them, didn't deserve to have them met.

I really do think that as you practice just taking care of yourself first, the dependency stuff and jealousy and anger! oh yes anger! (my anger was often a silent protest) works itself out.
The need is taken care of: so it doesn't manifest in negative ways, ya.

I'm excited for you, carol! Smile Have patience, take your vits, be nice to yourself....and I'm glad you're starting to feel better.
I also really appreciate your honesty - it's helped me a lot reading about your situation.[/quote

[color=darkblue]I'm so happy to hear that relating my own experiences has helped someone else. Sometimes we need these downward spirals in our lives to assess where we're actually going and who we really are. In my case it has made me realise that I haven't developed very far from my insecurities as a child who feared she would be abandoned after my father left us. In many ways my husband has been a surrogate father to me and perhaps unfairly I expected him to fill that void in my life.

However, I do realise that I am the type of person who will always need a spouse who is constant and true and I do think my husband is beginning to realise that. No doubt, he's also dealing with insecurities from his past and that's why he reacted so warmly towards those women who made him feel important and needed. This probably underlines how complex relationships can be. Smile

My own family background always made me very aware of how important it is to give your children a secure upbringing so that they can feel safe and whole within themselves, something I've been working for all my life.[/color] Cool
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 11:59 am
Carolsusan--

Good, incisive thinking.
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 03:08 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:

I dated exclusively women for almost a year. Then I met my Italian Stallion. I have spent the better part of the last two days **** this guys brains out (who I met online) What have you been doing save posting bullshit here, dude?
Well, I thought I read u losing 70 pounds, so I thought U r fat and now I saw a post where u say U date women as well. So u r a fat bi. Sorry. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:55 am
NoNe wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

I dated exclusively women for almost a year. Then I met my Italian Stallion. I have spent the better part of the last two days **** this guys brains out (who I met online) What have you been doing save posting bullshit here, dude?
Well, I thought I read u losing 70 pounds, so I thought U r fat and now I saw a post where u say U date women as well. So u r a fat bi. Sorry. Rolling Eyes

Not fat by a longshot, OTOH I see you as a fat, homely, lonely man. Your posts drip with that image.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/Nicole94114/aaalegs300.jpg
0 Replies

carolsusan07

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 06:47 am
I need to add this update to my topic.. I am glad to be able to report that my husband is less complacent and self-satisfied than he was before as he has now admitted that those friendships were harmful to our marriage and that he feels he was led off on a side-track. It shows you how insidious these things can be as he says he felt the less friendly I was about those friendships, the more he wanted to turn away from me and by implication of course, that attracted him more to the ladies who were only too willing to shower him with the friendship and attention he needed.. Of course, blameshifting's the oldest trick in the book, because it draws the attention away from you.

I think what helped to make him see things a bit differently was that we had lunch with my brother and his wife on Sunday. They are both devout christians and they spoke about the reasons why there were so many divorces and my brother's wife said one reason is the lack of loyalty and commitmet towards the spouse which paves the way for infidelity.

Also, I printed the replies I received to this forum and placed it on his desk so that he could realise that everyone was saying the same thing. I think it's some evil force like the devil that makes men rationalise what they're doing (hence all my husband's strange theories) , but I'm sure deep inside they know what they're doing is selfish and egotistical and only results in the spouse's place being usurped by someone else.

Suddenly I can see that my husband's much more loving and attentive and I can feel he's once more committed to our relationship, whereas, previously I could sense his indifference and the fact that he was distancing himself from me the minute we arrived at church or the cell group. I find it's much easier to be loving, supportive, appreciative and in fact be my old self if he behaves as if he's my loving husband and not some stranger with whom I happen to share the house.

Of course, only time will tell if he's going to adhere to our mutually set boundaries and whether he will be able to resist the temptation of renewing his friendships with those ladies, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

My sincerest wish is that my graphic description of my trials and tribulations will help someone else sooner than I was helped so that they can nip this sort of situation in the bud. The fact of the matter is that men are unaware of how easily they can become ensnared in infideliity which is usually cloked in various seemingly innocuous guises that draw you in deeper and deeper until there's no turning back
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 09:03 am
Carolsusan--

Happy Endings are very satisfactory. You're a fortunate woman--who has created some of her own good luck.
0 Replies

carolsusan07

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 09:44 am
Hope it lasts
Thanks for your good wishes. I al sincerely hope it lasts and that he's really had a 'Damascus' experience. I was very difficult to get to this point - it's only after I had consulted two different counsellors as well as a psychologist that my husband grudging conceded that he had neglected me in favour of other women and that he enjoyed the admiration that he got from them.

I know that it will take an effort from him to forego that extra attention he was receiving especially if it was filling some void in his life. I will need a lot of wisdom to know how to fill that gap , but at the same time not let him walk all over me again with all his convincing explanations of how innocent everything was.

There are still times when I feel very sad when I think how all this impacted on my self-image and our relationship and in short, the very quality of life.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 09:52 am
Carolsusan--

An individual--particularly an individual over 65-- is either in a deadly rut preparing to die or is out exploring the world.

Unfortunately being alive and curious means that you can make mistakes....and repair mistakes.

Good luck.
0 Replies

carolsusan07

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 01:45 pm
A positive approach
Noddy24 wrote:
Carolsusan--

An individual--particularly an individual over 65-- is either in a deadly rut preparing to die or is out exploring the world.

My husband is hardly preparing to die- he jogs and swim sto stay healthy and fit. He has hardly any body fat and I would say, he has the body of a forty year old ( and his hormones as well by the looks of it!)

Four years ago he even asked me to help buy him some hair colouring which I willingly did. And I helped him apply it too! Little did I know then why he wanted to look younger- I should have bought him orange hair colouring or even green - how's that for revenge?

Perhaps it's good if one can be a little facetious- I've missed my sense of humour lately!! - which by the way, my husband has always enjoyed as he's the serious one!

Fortunately I'm also still fit and go the gym quite regularly and have been told I look young for my age but definitely not twenty! I think we 'babyboomers ' have the advantage that we coud take better care of ourselves than our parents did.

Unfortunately being alive and curious means that you can make mistakes....and repair mistakes.

And hopefully learn from then and not repeat the same mistakes again!

Good luck.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:00 pm
Keep your bottle of green hair dye handy--either for his head or for your psyche or for both.
0 Replies

carolsusan07

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 01:06 am
green hair dye
Thanks for the advice, so far I don't need it as he really seems to have changed for the better and is much more considerate towards me lately. Let's hope it lasts!
0 Replies

carolsusan07

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 12:53 am
Postscript
Just a little postscript. I've discovered what really works when you're in the same company as those ladies who are so friendly towards your husband is to put your arm around him and give him a hug. I did this last week at our choir practice and I could see that this other lady noticed this and hopefully, took note that I'm serious about my marriage.

The effect was also quite surprising on my husband, I could see that he was both touched and flattered, and later he told me that he liked what I did. I just decided if he doesn't want to be demonstrative in public, then I will be. I realise that I should have done this a long ago, then those ladies might not have been quite so interested in him.

It seems that men are like big babies, they can never get enough attention, if not from you, his wife, then from someone else!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 01:00 am
Nice move, carolsusan.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 07:35 am
Carolsusan--

I like the way you're taking charge of your life.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 09:22 am
Good for you, carolsusan.
0 Replies