Sudden interest in opposite sex

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 04:34 am
Can anyone advise me whether or not they think it's normal for one's husband to start taking greater interest in the opposite sex, even though he's already middle-aged. Only recently did I begin to notice how he enjoyed talking to other women and also how much they en Sad joyed his company.

This may not sound like a big deal, but to me it feels as if we don't function as a couple any more when we go out (to church and other events in our small town). It feels as if his interest lies more with talking to other ladies than with being with his own wife.

When I speak about my concerns, he says I have nothing to fear as his conversations are all very innocent and I'm the one he loves. Am I wrong to wish that he would spend more time with me nad less with other women?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,525 • Replies: 78
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 05:02 am
Well, first off, I don't think you mean the opposite sex if you say your husband is interested in other women.

I'm not sure what you would consider middle-aged but I think it's quite normal for men, and women for that matter, to start feeling like they aren't as attractive as they used to be, the opposite sex is no longer attracted to them, etc. In order to compensate for those feelings of loss I think it's normal to try to fill that void. We all need our egos stroked every once in awhile.

If it is a great concern to you, I'd have a sit down with your husband and tell him if it really does bother you that much. Maybe he just feels that you don't find him attractive, desirable, etc., anymore and he needs to know that other women do. That's just a guess because I don't know either of you.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 06:50 am
It's called "mid life crisis" and most everyone goes through it in some form or another.

Chances are he isn't going to buy a ferarri, dye his hair black and get a girlfriend. But it happens.

Also, is he just talking to these people? Maybe he just wants to expand his horizons and meet new people and feel like someone else finds him interesting and desirable to talk to.

The best thing to do is just talk to him. Ask him what's up. You might be suprised to hear the answer.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:21 am
This reminds me of watching my father turn on the charm to the ladies. We thought he was being foolish, they thought he was witty and charming. He made them laugh, he made us groan. They fed his ego, we rolled our eyes.

I'm not sure how old your husband is or how long you've been married, but I think he's just enjoying a new audience and getting an ego boost from the attention.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 07:26 am
Carolsusan--

Welcome to A2K.

I envy you. I assume that a party--even a family visit is a chance for new conversation and new experiences. My husband follows me around, dominates the conversation with his favorite old stories that I've heard before and doesn't allow anyone else to get a word in.

You may have a mid-life crisis on your hands--but the crisis is on your hands, not out shopping for Ferrari's or bimbos. I have a man slowly going senile who is terrified of new experiences.

I envy you.
0 Replies

carolsusan07

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:32 am
Your approach is certainly a novel one. It gives me something to think about. I suppose everything has its ups and downs. I only get irritated when some of his 'new friends' are forever popping up and coming over to talk to him. These are mostly the widows who no doubt enjoy all the attention he gives them. They don't even pretend that they are my friends, they make it quite clear that they prefer talking to my husband and, of course, he relishes it!
0 Replies

carolsusan07

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:41 am
Mid-life crisis
I also think it's a mid-life crisis, but my husband would never admit that it is. He thinks it's normal for a man to suddenly develop all these friendships. at first I was amused and actually welcomed the fact that he had something to keep him busy, but I was less amused when his friends (mostly widows) always appeared on the horizon. clearly wanting to talk to him and not to me.

I even started to feel a little threatened even though my husband reassured me that these were only innocent friendships and that they meant nothing to him. After all, I'm only human and sharing my hubby only goes so far!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:42 am
Be thankful that your husband goes home with you.

And that you are not a widow seeking the attention of a man because you've lost yours.

I think this whole thing is completely innocent.
0 Replies

carolsusan07

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:15 am
Turning on th echarm
J_B wrote:
This reminds me of watching my father turn on the charm to the ladies. We thought he was being foolish, they thought he was witty and charming. He made them laugh, he made us groan. They fed his ego, we rolled our eyes.

I'm not sure how old your husband is or how long you've been married, but I think he's just enjoying a new audience and getting an ego boost from the attention.

I think you're right, but my husband adamantly denies that his ego is boosted. He says he is just being kind to th eladies, especially those who are alone.
0 Replies

carolsusan07

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:21 am
Middle-aged
Arella Mae wrote:
Well, first off, I don't think you mean the opposite sex if you say your husband is interested in other women.

I'm not sure what you would consider middle-aged but I think it's quite normal for men, and women for that matter, to start feeling like they aren't as attractive as they used to be, the opposite sex is no longer attracted to them, etc. In order to compensate for those feelings of loss I think it's normal to try to fill that void. We all need our egos stroked every once in awhile.

If it is a great concern to you, I'd have a sit down with your husband and tell him if it really does bother you that much. Maybe he just feels that you don't find him attractive, desirable, etc., anymore and he needs to know that other women do. That's just a guess because I don't know
either of you.

I can assure you we are definitely middle-aged, even more than that as we're both in our sixties, slightly past our prime, I'd say. We've always had a very close relationship and my husband could never assert that I don't make him feel attractive. I think it's more a case of the ladies being available and in need of a man's attention , and of course, he's only to willing to oblige!
0 Replies

carolsusan07

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:26 am
What's up
Bella Dea wrote:
It's called "mid life crisis" and most everyone goes through it in some form or another.

Chances are he isn't going to buy a ferarri, dye his hair black and get a girlfriend. But it happens.

Also, is he just talking to these people? Maybe he just wants to expand his horizons and meet new people and feel like someone else finds him interesting and desirable to talk to.

The best thing to do is just talk to him. Ask him what's up. You might be suprised to hear the answer.

I've asked him what's up and his reply was that nothing was up, he was just being friendly according to him. I think he does enjoy talking to people who find him desirable and interesting, and perhaps his ego does need stroking, but it's not easy for me to accept that!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:33 am
Oh, now I understand it. There are many older women, especially those who have been widowed, who are so hungry for the attentions of a man, that they will do backflips to get it.

Your husband is probably being caught up in these attentions. If you have a good relationship, I would not worry, and just let him enjoy himself. After all, he is past the stage where he could think of himself as a "hunk", and these women are flattering his ego.

In my neighborhood, which is in a 55+ community, we have what is laughingly known as the "casserole brigade". When a man's wife dies, many of the local widows will descend upon the poor, grieving widower with all sorts of homemade goodies. It is funny, but really quite pitiful.

If I were you, I would not get into a snit about it. In fact, I would make very light of it. I would say something like, "If I were to close my eyes tomorrow, ________________ would be all over you in a heartbeat. Be part of what is happening, and don't take the role of the adversary.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 09:51 am
And, let's face it, the sexual tide is turning in that your direct social circle is (unfortunately) becoming more and more female. This is bound to happen. My parents are in their 70s and know something like 30 (I ain't kidding) widows and maybe 2 or 3 widowers. Their brothers passed away before their sisters or sisters-in-law did. This is just kinda typical. Partly it's the attention factor, but partly it's just sheer numbers.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 10:58 am
Carolsusan--

Quote:
think you're right, but my husband adamantly denies that his ego is boosted. He says he is just being kind to the ladies, especially those who are alone.

Men! He wouldn't encourage the Blue Hair Brigade if he didn't enjoy the attention. Not only is he going home with you, he's seeing these ladies in public, thoroughly chaperoned by you and the community.

Remember back to his High School days--was he more of a Football Hero or a Nerd? I'm guessing you may be seeing the Flowering of a Nerd. You took over where his mother left off and developed his self-confidence and charm. He's outlived the Football Heroes--or perhaps they've gone flabby.
Now he's the masculine version of the Belle of the Ball.

Unfortunately, as Jespah pointed out, adorable men in our age range are getting fewer and fewer. Women--whether adorable or not--have a longer life span.

Don't be threatened by his fan club. The ego stroking will probably increase his life span. Enjoy!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 12:50 pm
J_B wrote:

That's funny, JB. My father was quite the ladies man also. Everywhere we went, women loved him. He'd say nice things, hand out compliments, flirt, and they lapped it up. I was proud to have such a charming father. I'm sure my mother had a different reaction, tho.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:13 pm
Phoenix said:
Quote:
If I were you, I would not get into a snit about it. In fact, I would make very light of it. I would say something like, "If I were to close my eyes tomorrow, ________________ would be all over you in a heartbeat. Be part of what is happening, and don't take the role of the adversary.

This is what I would suggest, too. Oh, you can have so much fun with this!
You can flirt with your hubby with abandon.

Think of all the benefits: these ladies are doing a lot of the heavy work for you - it's not just me right? men enjoy a lot of ego stroking and sometimes it can get a bit much for one woman.
He's happier, probably flirtier and extra taking care of himself, probably will be a lot of fun times in the bedroom for you if you want. Smile

Hold your head up high and be proud of your man. Still hot n' desirable in his 60's, and you're the one with him, you're the one who goes home with him and gets his loyalty and love.

Sounds to me like you two have a strong, loving relationship that has been through the crucible of time. Hey, that's not so easy to find anymore. It's beautiful. Enjoy, and don't worry about this.

And if one of the ladies crosses the line a bit, why not just get in there and give your hub a big kiss....you're going to be leaving with him, anyways. He'll love it!

Doesn't seem to matter the age, we all like that feeling of being chosen in the midst of some healthy competition. Your competition is light and more of a game than a real challenge - play with it, I think.

take care. Smile
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:27 pm
That is a good attitude to take. It's also about the only attitude you can take that won't make things worse.

And, from a man's perspective, there is really nothing like having a bunch of women compete over you to overall lift your spirits. It's much better that his spirits be lifted in this fashion then him to slow down and get grumpy with you.
0 Replies

carolsusan07

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 07:11 am
J_B wrote:

Question Your father's behaviour might have made you groan and roll your eyes, but I'm curious to know how your mother dealt with it. It sounds as if I'm closer to her age than yours, having been married for nearly forty one years. Embarrassed
0 Replies

carolsusan07

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 07:19 am
Interesting advice
flushd wrote:
Phoenix said:
Quote:

This is what I would suggest, too. Oh, you can have so much fun with this!
You can flirt with your hubby with abandon.

Think of all the benefits: these ladies are doing a lot of the heavy work for you - it's not just me right? men enjoy a lot of ego stroking and sometimes it can get a bit much for one woman.
He's happier, probably flirtier and extra taking care of himself, probably will be a lot of fun times in the bedroom for you if you want. Smile

Hold your head up high and be proud of your man. Still hot n' desirable in his 60's, and you're the one with him, you're the one who goes home with him and gets his loyalty and love.

Sounds to me like you two have a strong, loving relationship that has been through the crucible of time. Hey, that's not so easy to find anymore. It's beautiful. Enjoy, and don't worry about this.

And if one of the ladies crosses the line a bit, why not just get in there and give your hub a big kiss....you're going to be leaving with him, anyways. He'll love it!

Doesn't seem to matter the age, we all like that feeling of being chosen in the midst of some healthy competition. Your competition is light and more of a game than a real challenge - play with it, I think.

take care. Smile

Your advice is certainly interesting, but I must admit that it'll take some mind-bending on my part to put it to work. Twisted Evil At this point in time, I was rather thinking along the lines of hitting them over the head with a pole or something, now you say I must join in the game. You underestimate how stubborn I can be when I set my mind to it; however, I siuppose miracles can occur! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 07:26 am
carolsusan07 wrote:
J_B wrote:

Question Your father's behavior might have made you groan and roll your eyes, but I'm curious to know how your mother dealt with it. It sounds as if I'm closer to her age than yours, having been married for nearly forty one years. Embarrassed

She ignored it. I have no way of knowing her actual thoughts, but she gave no outward appearance that it bothered her in any way. We'd ask her sometimes why she put up with it and she'd shrug and say he wasn't hurting anyone. I think she knew it wasn't going anywhere emotional, just friendly banter that boosted his ego and put a smile on his face.

Interestingly, as he got older and they faced his progressive dementia, she was the only one he was comfortable being with. There were no widows flocking around at that point.
0 Replies