Please! Somebody say something politically incorrect!

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 09:18 pm
What is Dayak for: "It's raining cats and..... cats?"
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 09:24 pm
PC seems to mean ethical threatment of animals here.

I wonder if Dan-E's famed cat powered train would be unPC?

Or my friends who told me stories of how as children they kept running to the marke to buy a chicke ("the smallest one sir") to drop off their apartment building when their parachutes malfunctioned.....

Deb's gonna hate me.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 09:29 pm
Chicken killin'=unPC.

....and a related story...

Was watching Papillion last night. Noticed when an actor passed out in a scene, he landed on an innocently bypassing prop chicken, which began writhing and flapping around.

Guess this was before the ASPCA got involved in filmmaking. I was grossed.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 10:36 pm
Not unPC, immature and inhumane (or inanimane). :-)
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 10:51 pm
un-PC, if you tell Chrissie Hynd.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 10:53 pm
You know, the only human being I have ever hit (since I was six) was someone (an adult) who was torturing an animal.

And, as I did it, but too late, the realization returned to me that being violent in order to demonstrate that violence is unacceptable REALLY sucks.

The un-PC, and in my opinion also wrong, fact is that part of me is still glad I did it.

The animal in question looked pretty happy, too.

Oh, I lied inadvertantly - I HAVE hit other adults - but when I was being attacked - or, in one case, defending a child from a molester.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 11:19 pm
dlowan, You're my kind of wabbit. c.i.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 01:15 am
Sofia, I checked and snakes (even the hairy ones) have a backbone and a brain - so they're out of the picture.

<what really burns MY buns, is how it's Swampy this, and Pondy that, and when someone else with just a cooler avatar than me makes an observation about the family tree of rabbits and how they're descended from dickcheese and no, no we won't jump down their throat now will we, jeez it really gets my goat........>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 01:20 am
Well, Scummy me old darlin', I didn't even consider HER worth the insulting, did I?

I only insult the ones I wuv!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 07:43 am
That was shitty.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 08:55 am
Would you be happier if I insulted you now, sweetie...er I mean bunnyhater?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 07:12 pm
truth
IT used to be that what we today call "politically correct" were simply statements that indicated sensitivity to minorities, the "challenged" and deformed people. Such statements were simply good manners. Then the Rush Limbaughs coined the phrase, Politically Correct, in order to redefine the sensitive as the cowardly. Is now cool to be insensitive, crude, insulting, and the like; the crude and insensitive now look honest and brave. Bullshit!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 07:49 pm
I think the other side of that is not to be manipulated by 'peer pressure'.

Speaking your mind doesn't always have to be rude or insensitive. But, we should make these choices based on our own sense of decency, not a prescribed media-driven list of acceptable and unacceptable words and phrases. Buying in to political correctness negates our independence.

I didn't know Rush coined the term. I first heard it on the Today Show, and it was used to beat people over the head with. I just don't like the idea of a few deciding what is approved for the many.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:13 pm
The concept of Political Rectitude, and the expression "politically correct" both date to the later 1960's . . .
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 10:28 am
I must begin by complementing codeburg's initial comments on this subject; and add that in my usual lazy manner I have not read the bulk of ensuing comments;

Political "Correctness" was probably born from the same source of most of the societal laws. Abuse of freedom generally generates a need in society to rectify the "rights" of the offended; when citing freedom of speech, a "holocost denier" for example spouts gibberish about historically documented evidence being untrue, and various hatefull comments related to the Jewish faith and genetic background, then society reacts by establishing laws forbidding the spreading of "hate", and the original right of freedom of speech is diminished. When responsibility is not practiced in asserting various freedoms the result is that those freedoms are etched away by various confining laws seeking to protect the potential victims of "irresponsibility".
I see political correctness as an interstitial step in this process, applying peer pressure to neutralize minor abuses of various freedoms which tend to take liberties with the rights or collective view of certain groups in society.
But like all societal pressures that become institutionalized, the initial intent for possitive effect goes out the window with popularization, and the animal takes on teeth that eventually will cause it to bite off its own tail!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:55 pm
truth
How about "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat slob", And "Bush is cross-eyed dummie", And Cheney is a slant-smirking monster"?
Damn that felt good!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:57 pm
JL, that should read "big fat faking being deaf slob..."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:14 pm
Politically incorrect statemetn: "Hillary Clinton is a self-serving, power hungry, bitch, willing to sell her soul for eight million bucks." c.i.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:16 pm
no, a factually incorrect statement--you're gonna hafta bid a lot higher for that little bit of ectoplasm . . .
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:38 pm
Oooops, that just slipped out from the core of my unconscience. Sorry. c.i.
0 Replies