REPENT!!! THE END IS HERE????

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:41 am
Frankly, i wish all those fundie creeps would rapture on up out of here so we can be rid of them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:42 am
Intrepid wrote:
xingu wrote:
The author was not writing about Christians in general, just the very conservative ones. You should know that there are many different kinds of Christians. The more conservative they are the more dangerous they become. That plainly can be seen in the Muslim religion.

Perhaps you should have made that clear at the beginning.

Intrepid, the article was quite clear about which faction was being discussed.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:45 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
The New Testament was never formally canonzied but has become what it is through common use over the decades and centuries.

Maybe not formally, but I assure you the Council did do this. Any book that contradicted the Trinitarian Doctrine was removed and possibly destroyed. The fact that some offshoots like the Eastern Orthodox Church do not have the same list of books that other factions do cannot dispute the fact that the Nicean Council was there to formally ensure the canonisation of books that related to the Trinitarian Doctrine.

There were no books nor do any remain with a "Trinitarian Doctrine" though the components of a Trinity are found in the Scriptures that we have. The doctrine of the Trinity mostly emerged in the Second Century; albeit by people who had lived or personally knew people who had lived the First Century events. I'm pretty up on the Council of Nicea and canonizing New Testament writings was not on the agenda. The Church that became the Roman Catholic Church did decide which manuscripts THEY would use at the Council of Trent in the 16th century. Until then, there were no rules and guidelines other than Scripture must have been devinely inspired. The Council of Trent list has not held up among all denominations since, especially after the Reformation.

Quote:
Since I wasn't there, I am in no position to say, but based on the date(s) of the writings and the burning of Rome, I am inclined to believe that the Emperor was a nut of the highest degree and he needed to divert criticism from himself. The Church was a handy scapegoat for him. I don't think it had anything to do with the texts themselves. It is highly unlikely that the Emperor even had access to (or any interest in) the manuscripts that eventually became New Testament scriptures at the time Rome burned. (First Century AD) Even all the Christian didn't have access to all the manuscriptes at that time.

No, you misunderstand me.

Emperor Nero clearly didn't have access to the manuscripts and I never said that. I stated they were widely circulated amongst the Christians.

Historians agree that he clearly couldn't have been behind the Burning of Rome because even he wasn't such a fool as to piss of the commonfolk like that. The only people he pissed off were Jews and the aristocracy and eventually he was murdered at the behest of the Upper Class.

I stated that the Christians, not the Church, were very likely culprits and that the apocalyptic texts that floated around at the time inspired them, and one of them may have even been some kind of encoded message.

So you think the Christians burned Rome? Do you have any basis whatsoever for that other than personal speculation?

Quote:
That, however, does not necessarily take them out of the realm of real prophency and/or an image of the what is in store for humankind. Smile

On the contrary, if they are based on the reality of the time, they are merely allusions to what was then the present. They are not prophetic in that case.

I think the words used to describe a prophecy could be limited by the writer's language and experience, but prophecy by its divinely inspired nature would not be limited to the writer's language and experience.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:45 am
ehBeth wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
xingu wrote:
The author was not writing about Christians in general, just the very conservative ones. You should know that there are many different kinds of Christians. The more conservative they are the more dangerous they become. That plainly can be seen in the Muslim religion.

Perhaps you should have made that clear at the beginning.

Intrepid, the article was quite clear about which faction was being discussed.

I guess I am just not as smart as most. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:00 am
Foxfyre wrote:
There were no books nor do any remain with a "Trinitarian Doctrine" though the components of a Trinity are found in the Scriptures that we have. The doctrine of the Trinity mostly emerged in the Second Century; albeit by people who had lived or personally knew people who had lived the First Century events. I'm pretty up on the Council of Nicea and canonizing New Testament writings was not on the agenda. The Church that became the Roman Catholic Church did decide which manuscripts THEY would use at the Council of Trent in the 16th century. Until then, there were no rules and guidelines other than Scripture must have been devinely inspired. The Council of Trent list has not held up among all denominations since, especially after the Reformation.

No, not what I meant. I'm sorry, I'm not being clear.

Up on the Agenda was ensuring that the Trinitarian Doctrine was key. Of that, those texts that did not agree with the doctrine were removed.

Quote:
So you think the Christians burned Rome? Do you have any basis whatsoever for that other than personal speculation?

I said it was very likely. Not the Christians as in, all Christians mind you. Just Christians as in terrorist Christians like the terrorist Muslims you see in the Middle East.

Quote:
I think the words used to describe a prophecy could be limited by the writer's language and experience, but prophecy by its divinely inspired nature would not be limited to the writer's language and experience.

Revelation does not even fit that. Anything in Revelations can be attributed to his experience, especially that nonsensical bit about not bruising the oil or wheat or whatever it was.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:28 am
The debate on the Trinity however had nothing to do with the manuscripts that became scripture--there wasn't any New Testament scripture at the time of the Council of Nicea. The 'scriptures' were all Old Testament. But to say that the Council decided which manuscripts could be used and which manuscripts could not is a misnomer since none of the manuscripts dealt with a doctrine of the Trinity at all. Nor did the Council decide the debate on the Trinity other than to kick out a few radicals that didn't agree with anybody else.

The Council of Nicea resulted in an agreement for a peaceful disagreement which was Constantine's purpose in calling it since he didn't give a flying fig what the Church believed on the matter of the Trinity. He just didn't want a fighting Church as he was using the Church as the glue to hold his tenuous empire together.

So far as belief in prophecy goes, I accept that you don't believe there is any in Revelation. Since nobody, in my opinion, has ever fully cracked the code in Revelation, I think it is a real stretch, however, to conclude that there is no prophecy there. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:33 am
Some notes on what Fox purports to know and obviously does not not know. The Nicean Creed was adopted during the Council at Nicea in 325 CE, which is the fourth century, not the second century. The precise intent of the Nicean Council was to determine what would be the orthodox position with regard to Arianism, the name given to the teaching of Arius of Alexandria, which, in simplistic form, rejected the concept of the divinity of Christ. Specifically, the First Nicean Council held that:

Quote:
We believe in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of all things visible and invisible; and in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten of the Father, that is, of the substance [ek tes ousias] of the Father, God of God, light of light, true God of true God, begotten not made, of the same substance with the Father [homoousion to patri], through whom all things were made both in heaven and on earth; who for us men and our salvation descended, was incarnate, and was made man, suffered and rose again the third day, ascended into heaven and cometh to judge the living and the dead. And in the Holy Ghost. Those who say: There was a time when He was not, and He was not before He was begotten; and that He was made our of nothing (ex ouk onton); or who maintain that He is of another hypostasis or another substance [than the Father], or that the Son of God is created, or mutable, or subject to change, [them] the Catholic Church anathematizes. (as translated literally from the Latin by the staff of the Catholic Encyclopedia)

It is obvious that this council certainly did uphold the doctrine of the trinity and of the divinity of the putative Christ.

The Council of Trent did not concern itself with the scriptural canon--rather, its focus was on what the response of the Church would be to Protestant heresies (as they were seen by the Catholics). Fox's remarks make it appear to have been prior to the Protestant Reformation, but it took place from 1545 to 1563, well after the Protestant Reformation. In the words of the Catholic Encyclopedia:

Quote:
The nineteenth ecumenical council opened at Trent on 13 December, 1545, and closed there on 4 December, 1563. Its main object was the definitive determination of the doctrines of the Church in answer to the heresies of the Protestants; a further object was the execution of a thorough reform of the inner life of the Church by removing the numerous abuses that had developed in it.

It is obvious that determining the orthodoxy of the scriptural canon was certainly not a part of the agenda of the Council of Trent.

Whenever Fox begins by telling the things about which she is really well-informed, it is well to immediately doubt her statements.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:37 am
Fox is talking more bullshit. She states that there was no new testament at the time of the Nicean Council. This is patently false. Those with a genuine interest in the truth of the development of the Christian scriptural canon are advised to research Origen of Alexandria, Pamphilus and Eusebius of Caesarae--these are the early church scholars in the period of the third and early fourth century who were responsible for winnowing the extant "testaments" to create the modern scriptural canon. I strongly advise that no one here rely upon the appallingly faulty accounts given by Fox.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:40 am
Fox is also butchering the history of the Roman Empire. The Nicean council was not called until Constantine had definitively defeated Licinius. Fox again displays her ignorance by referring to Constantine's "tenuous empire."
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:46 am
From Irenaus OSecond Century) on, all the ancient Church fathers had their own list of what manuscripts were 'authenticly devinely inspired' and this was a point of dicussion in the councils of Bishops all the way to the Council of Trent. It was the Council of Trent, however, that's Sixteenth Century, that nailed down exactly which manuscripts would be the final "New Testament" as the Church knew it at that time. And even then, they did not agree with the Eastern Church and the Canon of the New Testament continues to be elusive as to which writings/passages are to be authoritative and which are not.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:48 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Well it certainly escapes me how Christians, fundamentalist or otherwise, are such a subversive group, and it certainly sounds more dangerous to me to call them 'dangerous' than does any 'danger' they could possibly present.

We're not talking about a "narrowly defined instance" here. We're talking about a group of conservative Christians who want to tear down the wall that separates church and state. They want laws based on the Bible. It's called Christianism. And it does not comprise of a few weirdo's on the fringe that have little or no following.

From the conservative newspaper Washington Times;
Quote:
President Bush and the Republican Party in his home state of Texas are being criticized by Democrats on the touchy issue of whether America is a Christian nation.

At its convention in Austin, the Texas Republican Party voted to reaffirm a plank in its platform that disputes "the myth of the separation of church and state." The plank celebrates the United States as "a Christian nation."

An official of an organization affiliated with the Democratic National Committee castigated the action.

"This is part and parcel of who the GOP and their conservative base are," said David Harris, spokesman for the National Jewish Democratic Committee. "While this is nothing new, it certainly raises to new excesses the lengths this Republican Party is going to in order to tear down the wall separating church and state.

"It is a wall deeply cherished by American Jews -- and many other Americans for that matter," Mr. Harris added.

A prominent Democrat called on Mr. Bush to repudiate the Texas party's action.

"The Texas party has been off the charts for a long time," said James Zogby, president of the Arab American Institute. "Frankly, I would hope President Bush would repudiate that. We are calling on him to do so."

Mr. Zogby said the Texas conservative platform "goes against what Bush has said and flies in face of what he has stood for, but it reflects more a policy of [U.S. Rep.] Tom DeLay and some of those hard-liners on the Christian right."
SOURCE

From a speech given by a Baptist on a Baptist website;

Quote:
I have given this long account of the Baptist heritage for religious liberty for a reason. It serves as a preface to what I am about to say and must say. The Baptist presence -- and it is a significant presence, upwards from 25% at last count -- within the "Religious Right" is an aberration. It is a repudiation of all that Baptists stood for until the last 20 years. That may surprise you since so many Baptists are prominent in the leadership of the "Religious Right" which has been working overtime to tear down the wall of separation between church and state. Surprise alone, however, is not an adequate emotion for this situation. I now must tell you why you should be alarmed by this development.

Baptists are "born again" Christians. No one is born a Baptist. We are the ones who believe that each person must come to faith by individual and personal conviction and commitment. Baptists have always believed in the power of the gospel to win hearts and change lives. All the gospel needs is a free and open hearing. That is why religious liberty is so important to Baptists. For us, real faith can never be produced by compulsion or coercion. For us, real faith can never be passed down like an heirloom from one generation to the next. For us, real faith must be accepted freely by individual commitment and conviction.

The "Religious Right" has a different understanding of faith. They intend to make the United States a Christian nation by political action and legislation. For them, politics is a mission field. For them, getting voters to the polls is like raising armies for crusades to reclaim the holy land. For them, faith can be spread by inquisition, imposition, and coercion.

SOURCE

Let me say that I believe all, or most all, those who want to destroy the wall that seperates church and state are conservative Christians that believe in the Rapture as defined by the Robertson's, Falwell's and so on.

But I also believe not all people who believe in Rapture want to destroy the church and state seperation as defined in our Constitution.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:51 am
The Catholic Encyclopedia article on Origen.

This excellent page not only discusses Origen's crucial contribution to the new testament scriptural canon, but has many valuable links to other contributors to the settlement of the scriptural canon. Note that this page gives a good list of the scriptures which Origen considered valid and those which he rejected.

This page at the Catholic Encyclopedia has a short biography of Pamphilus of Caesarae, who was a very important scriptural scholar and archivist, and the mentor of Eusebius.

This page refers to the Apology for Origen by Pamphilus.

Probably most important in the settlement of the scriptural canon by the time of the First Nicean Council was Eusebius of Caesarae, described in this Catholic Encyclopedia article.

I strongly advise that anyone genuinely interest in this subject read about these men, and take advantage of the excellent links, or search for themselves--rather than to rely upon Fox's completely and typically erroneous account.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 12:03 pm
There is a difference between 'scripture' and a New Testament. There is a difference between authoritarian writings and what would be considered 'canonized' as Scripture. There was no full agreement and there has never been full agreement among the Church leaders hten or now as to all the interpretation of the writings and/or which ones deserved to be elevated to the status of Scripture.

And as I do not care to exchange insults with any member here, I'll move on until such member, trolls, and children take their naps.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 12:48 pm
i never thaught this thread would last this long
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 12:53 pm
not to worry, the end is near.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 02:21 pm
That's a good one Dys!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/lmfao.gif
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 02:30 pm
You run your mouth, Fox, and make your snotty, childish insults, but you provide nothing to back up your horseshit statements. When you habitually post drivel based upon your confused notion of things you read and did not properly understand or recall, you can expect to be called on it.

If you care to examine the links i have provided and refute them, or to back up your idiotic statements about the scriptural canon with evidence of your own, you will then have engaged in adult debate--something you never seem capable of doing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 05:34 pm
Setanta wrote:
Frankly, i wish all those fundie creeps would rapture on up out of here so we can be rid of them.
Actually, Set, it's the bad guys who have to leave "For the upright are the ones that will reside in the earth, and the blameless are the ones that will be left over in it. 22 As regards the wicked, they will be cut off from the very earth; and as for the treacherous, they will be torn away from it." (Proverbs 2:21,22)

'Course there may be some unsuspecting fundies swept along.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 05:43 pm
I predict that the world will end in the next 5 billion years.....
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 06:08 pm
Wait...maybe god is taking up the ones who start up the problems....Christians and Jews, Laughing
0 Replies